Sponsors:

Diesel barrel

Started by Bruno of NH, April 27, 2019, 03:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

It's the same up here, heating oil is dyed red 
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

I hauled 55 gallon drums of diesel and 6 forklift cannisters of propane around in the back of my truck for years.  Biggest aggravation I could think of.  So I started looking aggressively for bulk suppliers of both.  It took less than 2 weeks to track down the diesel source, it was a COOP out of state, where I could get out of state Tennessee's diesel cheaper than I could get in state Alabama diesel.  I have no idea why, except greed and markup.  

It took me over a year to find a propane supplier, and surprising it's not even the company who fills up my home tank.  It's a company about 60 miles away who has a bulk propane forklift route in Huntsville, and I'm on the way.  

It took lots of phone calls, lots of looking, and some luck, but I was able to find sources.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

Quote from: LeeB on May 05, 2019, 06:16:55 PM
Which costs more? Is it taxing that makes the difference?
Today's price is:  Heating Oil- $2.90+tax, and Off-Road Diesel is $2.63 if you are tax exempt, add tax if you aren't.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Resonator

Make sure you use the right type of fuel for the engine. While similar to Off-Road, home heating oil is not refined, or intended, for modern diesel engines. By using it you risk damage to the injectors and emissions system. If the owners manual specifies ULSD only, using anything else could void your warranty.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

YellowHammer

That was a concern , especially with my new mill.  So I called them and they said they only sell the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, even as off road or untaxed use, which was great news for me.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

easymoney

when i was a teenager, a long long  time ago. not admitting anything  but a lot of boys with a car carried a 5 gallon can and a length of siphoning hose in the trunk of their car. sometimes they went late night shopping for gas. if a tractor happened to be parked overnight close to the road the farmer would find the tank empty the next morning. you could tell who did that by looking at the carburetor on his car and seeing the color of the dye from the gas. back then gas was only about twenty five cents a gallon at the pump but money was tight.

Chuck White

The type of fuel was discussed back when I bought the tractor, and I was told to just use the off-road diesel from your home delivery truck.

I don't know of anyone around this area the goes to the pump to get their diesel, they use the off-road from the truck.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!