The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: CTL Market  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: CTL Market
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
Oh well, I am in agreement as far as pine goes.  I am no fan of industrial pine plantations- economic returns for landowner or logger are slim to none.   This is in the SE, Coastal OR and WA may be a a different story.

I'm interested in CTL to replicate handfelling in hardwood stands.  Long story...we'll see.
Anything and everything for CTL is expensive the logging to the cheap wood youíll end up in, unless you step machine size with a track carrier with a big head. CTL is a great way to thin and honestly everyone of these European machines are made for softwoods which they really should be just for most of the time. Having done both long, short, as well as tree length with a fixed and a dangle head in the brush thinning if I had my choice Iíd be back in a fixed head machine just because of the control with less damage potential. I know up in BC they do a waratah 623 or even a 624 fixed head thatís a larger butt cut size then what youíve been looking into, cut it tree length as much as possible out then process on the landing.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
just making conversation here.. Drove by another logging specific iron dealer today, tidewater equipment company rt 74 in anson NC.. Think it looked like tigercat mostly.  All conventional stuff, didnt see any CTL.  I guess having to special order the machine in and pay upwards of $8-12/ mile for permitted and maybe piloted delivery is a pretty big hurdle to jump for anyone.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2019, 10:36:09 PM »
Looks like BC every crew choses their own way with a combo of machinery brands.
Be interesting to see the weighbridge comparisons at the end of the day. 
BC disc saw, skid, stack, process, load

TC with danglehead Southstar at stump

Offline makeri_drvr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
Most of the mills are set up for treelength wood around me. Way back when I tried CTL we were doing first thinnings cutting 8ft 4in post. The plant separated the pulpwood. Does anyone remember the company logging outfit Rocky Creek in Alabama? They used traditional wheeled shears or sawheads to thin with and processors followed the cut down material and hauled out with fowarders. They ran a bunch of Iron Mules back then.I actually bought one of their old ones!  Fighting the tough underbrush did the most hose damage to me running a processor that cut down too. Its hard to beat a wheeled sawhead in most terrain in the South East. They are just built tougher than any Scandinavian style machine.  Tracks machines will still be needed in wet or steep ground. I wonder how this 3 machine combo would work? 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
The brush down there is definitely a killer on hoses.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
The brush down there is definitely a killer on hoses.
Man I can't even see the brush for all the vines on 2 jobs.  What a mess..a hot stinking mess.  I'm actually going to burn 100 acres before harvest, harvest it, then replant.  Just impossible to deal with it is so bad, vines the size of my legs (i'm skinny) and fighting each other to see who can do the most damage.
Liking Walnut

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
I have a photo of 4" DBH poison ivy with weapons grade ooze running out of it...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »
Man that sort of thing can stay down there.  No fun at all.  What a day, another dry one.  Tonight I have to hunt down some hay for my little yard mowers, the grass is drying up fast. 

I see @BargeMonkey  bought an old Rottne, he finds good deals on old iron.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
Post Michael - fell/ clean up and trim work for ponsse down south

Timber manufacturer finds a post-storm solution to salvage industry | WMBB - mypanhandle.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
I trampled around my deer trails monday.. Not one tick on me, not one chigger.. But im covered head to toe in itchy bites.  Saw just ONE clear little micro bug but felt my skin crawling.   Wasnt seed ticks either.  The south has all sorts of evil mystery critters thatll give you the poison ivy treatment.  I scratch alllll summer long. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2019, 08:22:28 PM »
I trampled around my deer trails monday.. Not one tick on me, not one chigger.. But im covered head to toe in itchy bites.  Saw just ONE clear little micro bug but felt my skin crawling.   Wasnt seed ticks either.  The south has all sorts of evil mystery critters thatll give you the poison ivy treatment.  I scratch alllll summer long.
I would say the chiggers found you anyway.  I do love my DEET to keep those away.  I have also seen a huge drop in ticks of all kinds this summer, all week and not a single on my clothes, I treat my clothing but I still often see some til they drop.
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »
I havent been home much but did notice much less ticks than last year.  

Chiggers only come in red, right?  Ive had several rounds of these little opaque buggers.  Seed ticks/tick bombs ive seen were always brownish.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2019, 06:19:58 AM »
If you could see them they probably are not chiggers.  Real chiggers are like the size of a dot made with a fairly fine pencil, I personally cant see them on clothes.  It is the chigger larvae that are biters not the adults.  The adults are bigger and I think you could see them but they don't bite (they attack insects).  

Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2019, 06:20:54 AM »
Question for CTL operators out there.  What are most folks using on the landings for loaders?  
Liking Walnut

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »
Most guys out here are using a shovel itís safer as well as faster.

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2019, 07:42:57 AM »
Most around ctl operations here have center mounts haul there wood
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2019, 07:47:45 AM »
Most around ctl operations here have center mounts haul there wood
Gotcha, not an option to change the trucking world down here  :D...also not sure they could pickup some of our wood.  Wish we did have truckers with loaders though, it would at least open some options and push the loading on the trucker driver.
Liking Walnut

Offline chep

• Share Post
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
The beauty of a forwarder is the option to load trucks. We load trailers often. It takes a bit of getting used to and gotta build your stacks on the truck a bit diff but once you figure it out its easy. The best is coming out of the woods with a load and putting it straight on a truck.
We load a lot of canadians here (very close to the border) with hemlock, red pine, spruce and hardwood logs. Average loading time is around 30 minutes.
I've been loading telephone poles on trailers and that takes me about 45 minutes for 40 or so poles up to 52 ft long.
 Sometimes you can set up so you load the truck from above (like off a bank etc) and that makes for a sweet forwarder loading pad. But often times it's just on flat ground setting next to the truck
Cut to length has the advantage of having less iron on the job then conventional operations because the machines can do more then 1 function

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »
We're in center mount country up here, and that's how probably 95% of our company's output is hauled. I load a fair amount of trailers in the winter when we are producing more. It takes a lot more coordination with the market and trucking to be able to load everything out with a forwarder. I've never done it, actually. I've always had a center mount or 2 hauling that end up cleaning up the job when we're done. We do have a few Barko and Serco log loaders on self propelled carriers that are used for loading duties at times. I've never ran one and know nothing about them🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
99.9% here is hauled by a self loading log truck. Loading with the forwarder straight out of the woods results in the truck sitting around all day waiting on wood.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just Getting into Sawmilling! How to market wood? What Market?

Started by Ohio Logger on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 07:58:19 AM
by Ohio Logger
xx
Need a market for this

Started by woodhick on Drying and Processing

12 Replies
Last post November 04, 2005, 07:50:52 PM
by rebocardo
xx
in the market for....