iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019-20

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 06, 2019, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

good to know WDH, I will keep that in mind at the final negotiation. However, this fella has a lot of heavy equipment and I really could use some excavator work around  the mill.  ;D
 I had the afternoon off and was in the woods by 12:30 cruising for trees. I found a maple that would JUST make the requirements, if I don't screw it up. It was 15" DBH but a bit oblong which would help make the board width. I dropped it easy, then bucked it up keeping the butt log at 16'. Then I winched out the butt log to where I could grab it with the arch. As I was doing so I realized I screwed up. I cut the other logs from this tree at 12'6". If I had just left them and I screwed up the butt log I could have gotten another 2-3/4X10x16' out of another log. Now I was committed.
 I got the log to the mill without issue, but try as I might, I could not get this beast up the ramps into the bed. The wood calculators will tell you this log is around 1,200 pound, I felt that it was more like 1,800. No way I could roll it up. One side would slip back on the ramp, I would chock it, then the other would slip. It took me ten minutes to realize I was wasting my time and was going to get hurt.
 Plan 'B' was to make a parbuckle with a Z rig. This photo shows the rig. The line starts on the lower right, goes around the bottom of the log and back over the top to a snatch block chained between two trees, from there it goes to another snatch block out of frame to the left, then to the back of the Mule. It took a lot of force, but it went up easy.

Leveling the pitch was another small challenge with this heavy log (for me). But you guys taught me how to do that, so it wasn't too bad. I had to use a pair of wedges to get enough lift.

This log was set further out on the mill bed than I have been before and I noticed I still have some refinements to do in bed leveling, but it's hardwood and held well to it's own flat. The log measures 1/8" thinner one one end than the other. I am thinking over 16' this isn't too bad, considering where I was a few weeks ago. I can work on that.
 Right now I have it as a 6" slab and I just ran out of steam.

I mean, I am pooped, cutting the tree, winching, skidding, loading, milling, etc. all in a few hours has me shot. I am getting old and tonight I feel it. The wood was hard, I should have 4 degree blades, not the 10 degrees that I have, the mill was complaining, shaking and bucking, and I had to go slow. There were a few hard knots that I thought might be something 'harder'. This log really pushed the mill and showed me where i can improve things for the next log. Tomorrow night I will flip it up, level the pith again and HOPE tha I get that 10" I need t make these two planks. I did get a couple of nice 5/4 boards off as I was working down to the width I needed. Not sure what they might become. One end has a little spalting that was starting up. It might finish up pretty.

As I was closing up, this little guy came by to say hello.

Always nice to have a neighbor drop by and brighten your day, right?
 Man, I gotta say, I am not sore or hurt, but I am plum tired out tonight. The muscles in my hands hurt just a little when I squeeze them, and I am having a hard time keeping my eyes open. Getting old sucks, but it does beat the alternative, and Magicman, don't you say nothin'! I could never keep up with you and I wouldn't try, unless hydraulics were involved. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

But with me hydraulics is what keeps me going.  You worked much harder than I ever do which makes you the "hero for the day".  smiley_roller
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Well I can tell you when I got up this morning the muscles on the backs of my thighs were feeling pretty twerky and still do. Everything else seems fine. Might have pushed a little too hard rolling that cant. I was almost glad to come to the regular job today to get some rest. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

Twerking?  is that what girl Miley Cyrus used to do? electricuted-smiley  do you have a rope swing?   yikes_smiley  Waking up a little stiff and sore lets you know you are still alive and getting things done!   8) :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I should have guessed you would go down that road Doc. ;D My thighs haven't hurt like that in quite a while, so it was a surprise. I wonder what adjective you would have selected to reflect the minor aching and spasming I had? Nope, no rope swings. I got no crick to hang them over.
 I guess going from a standing tree to most of a 16' long cant in 5 hours with 90% manual labor is more than I am used to. I usually spread that stuff out and take my time, but yesterday I just plowed through it trying to get the job done. I mighta coulda finished it up last night, but I was just shot and didn't want to risk a mistake on a special log. Centering the pith in the other axis is my next concern.

doc henderson

Sorry @Old Greenhorn  but you conjured up a visual that i cannot un-seeeeeeee.  you always do a great job,    smiley_safety_glasses smiley_curtain_peek  smiley_beertoast
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Which begs the question: What is the correct medical term for 'twerky'?

Old Greenhorn

Interesting evening today. I rushed home from work, put on my 'play clothes' and headed down to try and finish these boards tonight. Now that I understand leveling the pith and am getting competent at it (I think), I had to do the last side sides and didn't have a lot of wiggle room to get out the width I needed. I thought I would end up with a touch of live edge here and there if I did it right. If I blew it, the log would be junk for what was required. The customer is OK with a few small spots. No pressure. I took on the "measure 5 times, cut once' mentality. Got it up on edge, leveled the pith, checked it several times, thought of making adjustments, realized I was second guessing my math, had a hard discussion with myself about trusting in what I had learned and going with what I had. 

I took the first cut and let it go with a little live edge because of my measurements, then I flipped it (none of which is easy with a cant this size) and brought in the 10" width. I had a touch of live edge on each of the outside corners which told me that I did a good job of splitting the difference and got the center of the log pretty well. However, when I laid the cant down to split it into two planks, I missed. It was 6" think and I need two boards each 2-3/4" thick and no more. I thought one would come out at 2-3/4 and I would trim the other. Nope, they both came out at 2-7/8". >:(

I flopped one board off the mill and flipped the other. I figured if I had to take some off, it might as well be on the side with the live edge to thin it out. I wound up with 1/8" taper from one end to the other over 16'. He is going to have to live with that. I will work on trimming the mill up going forward.

A little live edge on this side about 2-3' in.

And more on this side.

I ran out of usable daylight because it was cloudy and I am down in a hole, it gets dark early. Besides I was soaked in sweat and dinner was waiting. Tomorrow night I have to take 3/16 off that other plank and I am done, except for getting them up to the road. Dang, but these things are heavy (and long) to handle by hand.
 I learned something about working with a customer. Next time I tell him what I can do and get tolerances that I can work within or let the job go. I also learned something about the tolerances I can work within. :)
 If he comes to pick them up and cuts them in half to fit them in his truck I will shoot him on the spot. ;D

doc henderson

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 05, 2019, 02:49:06 PM
Which begs the question: What is the correct medical term for 'twerky'?
i think the medical term for which you seek, is called... Elderly!!!   8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

Twerking (/ˈtwɜːrkɪŋ/) is a type of dance originating as part of the bounce music scene of New Orleans in the late 1980s. Individually-performed, chiefly but not exclusively by women,[1][2] dancers move by throwing or thrusting their hips back or shaking their buttocks, often in a low squatting stance.[3] Twerking is part of a larger set of characteristic moves unique to the New Orleans style of hip-hop known as "Bounce".[4] Moves include "mixing", "exercising", the "bend over", the "shoulder hustle", "clapping", "booty clapping", and "the wild wood"—all recognized as "booty shaking" or "bounce".[5][6] Twerking is but one choreographic gesture within bounce. Twerking traces its origins to the West African dance called Mapouka, which has existed for centuries.

doc henderson

That lumber is looking good,  if it is oversized a bit you can tell him will shrink to the perfect size when it is dry.   :) :) :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on June 05, 2019, 10:54:10 PM

Twerking (/ˈtwɜːrkɪŋ/) is a type of dance originating as part of the bounce music scene of New Orleans in the late 1980s. Individually-performed, chiefly but not exclusively by women
OK, so noted. Let the record show that I will avoid the use of that word in the future. I shall also not use the medical term you suggested and instead use the term "Twitchy" for the overloaded muscle condition so as to avoid any confusion. Today it is still twitchy, but it got another workout last night. Tonight I hope to finish it off.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on June 05, 2019, 10:55:53 PM
That lumber is looking good,  if it is oversized a bit you can tell him will shrink to the perfect size when it is dry.   :) :) :)
One of the few criteria he gave me was 'not oversize on the thickness' so it will fit in the pocket. I think he spec'ed the size too close and should have asked for 2-1/2 instead of 2-3/4 . I should have steered him that way, my bad. I just hope he remembers the purpose and doesn't complain abut the little bit of live edge. This was the tree I had available and was not taking a fully healthy 70' tree just for some top boards. I am pretty pleased that I managed to work down the center line and balance the live edge on all corners of the cant at different places along 16', meaning I got the most I could out of it. I hope he is happy with it, if not, there are plenty of other mills around. In fact I just noticed a WM trailer in the driveway 2 lots down the other night. Not sure who owns it. I couldn't read the model number through the trees and it was set up. The more the merrier. ;D

doc henderson

I think it turned out great.  If it is not what he wants he can use it till the perfect one comes along, and or furnish his own log.  great practice.  Looking forward to that cup-o-coffee someday soon! ;) :)  @Old Greenhorn .  can always put them back on the mill and shave another "hair" off if needed!!!  Your place looks so peaceful. enjoy your sliver of heaven and solitude.

Ed_K

I he's not happy with the thickness he can chainsaw plane it down. The highway dept does this at the pocket site's cause I saw them to 3" thick ;D.
Ed K

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Ed_K on June 06, 2019, 09:01:06 AM
I he's not happy with the thickness he can chainsaw plane it down. The highway dept does this at the pocket site's cause I saw them to 3" thick ;D.
If he's not happy with the thickness, he can......

Oh the possible ways to end this sentence are endless. ;D ;D :D

Ed_K

Ed K

Old Greenhorn

Well, that's done! Finished the other other one tonight, exactly 2-3/4 end to end with one small section a sixteenth under.  It was a bear getting them up to the house. Not the prettiest thing I have ever done, but it got the job done, sort of.

I strapped a slab to the bottom to use as a sled. It lasted for half the drag or about 500' of skid road and onto the black top. Both straps cut through at that point and I just finished it. I had a little scoring on the bottom of one board about 6 inches long, but these are a foot longer than he ordered, so I am not worried. I set them on the side of the driveway, easy for him to pull in with his trailer and load.

AT 140 pounds each, these were not easy to handle. I pushed myself so much that I actually had a headache when I was done. I learned a lot on this one. He had better be happy.  ;D :D

Now I can get back to fun stuff.

doc henderson

looks like you need a second wee little axle.  looks like you are having a great time.  no more twerking, just torquing and tweaking (sorry that is meth.)  cannot use any slang these days.   :)  looks great good job.
ps i prefer a french roast with a bit of cream!!!   God bless America, 75 years D-day, WWII

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I need one just like @nybhh , but I didn't have time to throw in another project. That's why I cut them a foot longer, knowing I would sacrifice some at some point.
 I still have a headache, even after the hot tub and 2 beers. But my thighs have stopped TWITCHING.
 75 years ago today, my Dad was the CPO on a sub chaser patrolling the pacific in the Philippines. We can never thank them enough for their service.
 Doc, they have french roast and all kinds of fancy add-ins over at that Hippy place in Woodstock, just 10 minutes away. Stop by when you are done there. I have black coffee, colombian, might dig up some powdered white stuff, could be sawdust though, or powdered grits.

Old Greenhorn

By the way, followed this on my way home a couple of days ago. Weird, right?

doc henderson

If it came on like a thunder clap might be a subarachnoid bleed.  If it was gradual and later and feels good to massage, might just be a tension headache.  I have been to Woodstock NY!  I don't like fake creamer additives either, I like the beans that have been roasted more.  At Philmont we had the little instant packets but still had star bucks French roast.  hope you get to feeling better.

Old Greenhorn

OH yeah, it was gone this morning and never really bad at any time. But I don't get headaches unless something is wrong. I may have overdone it with the lifting of both planks. I thought I might have popped something, but there was no explosion, so I took some advil and a couple more beers. Spent some time in the hot tub for a first since February. This time last year I was in it every night. These days, I don't really feel the need. I thought about doing vitals but didn't feel like getting out the kit. I figured if it was a bleed, nature would take it's course. All bleeding stops eventually.  ;D It was gone this morning, then came back a little while ago as a mild discomfort between the eyes. I have to see the chiro this afternoon, maybe he can fix that. :)
 This evening I will do more thoughtful stuff and I have a lot to clean up with all the slabs. Trying to set myself up for a productive day tomorrow. The customer SHOULD come by and get his RUSH job this evening.
 I could not take the instant at Philmont, sorry. We brought our own stuff and used various methods to get our fix each day, depending on how much time we had in the morning. After Philmont, I got a JetBoil with a coffee press for backwoods use, that was NICE!

Old Greenhorn

Catching up. You gotta make hay when the sun shines, so I've been spending my time on projects and chores, like many here.
 I had my monthly with my Chiro and he asked if he was doing me any good overall. I told him of my day to day life 12 months ago compared to today. Yeah, life is much better with Dr. Marc. He fixed my headache too and told me I was in perfect shape for a man my age and I should change nothing, not even quit drinking.  8)
 So Friday i went down and started cleaning up the mess from those two planks. I added some finish on that test table. Saturday I put it on the mill and cut the legs. OH I learned a bunch there. Broke the glue joint on two legs. Obviously (now) I have to support those legs a lot better when I cut them. I re-glued them, re-sanded, re-finished, etc.  The rest of that table story is over in the woodworking forum. I no longer have the table. 

I spent the rest of the day cleaning up a lot of the other stuff that had been accumulating here and there since last fall. We did a barbecue/campfire thing that night.

Today I was a bit 'groggy', but I took a run out to @nybhh 's place and see the pretty cherry he is milling up and look at his project progress. He has a lot of stuff going on and I wish I had his focus. He had a birthday present for me, a woodmizer magnetic scale tape. My mill does not have a movable tape, this is a big help for me.  I was going to take a shot at running a slab thru his planer, but it turned out to be to wide and on a re-think, I realized planing it was not the best way to go. No big deal.
 Plan B was to sand the slab, so I threw it up on sawhorses by the shop and did all the rough work. I am still not certain how long this will be, if, or where I will cut it off. I am going to try prepping some maple for legs on this one, but what I have has a ton of knots and bumps. I think the maple will finish up better looking and be stronger. It will take a lot more work though and I have to work on my patience and focus. (A life long fight.)

WHen I was cleaning up Friday evening, one of the cuts I made on those planks resulted in a 16' long piece about 1/8 thick. What can you do with something like that? It occurred to me that it was like cardboard. SO I cut a piece off and made a sign for the mill, as if anybody will ever see it beyond maybe 5 people. 

Next chance I will start working on the legs.

doc henderson

cannot quite read the second line.  looks like in memory of...

Old Greenhorn

It says "In memory of Rudy, we miss you man."

Rudy was the previous landowner and a good friend and neighbor who built the house there, blasted and cut in the skid roads and made the property accessible. He would I think, have gotten a kick out of having the sawmill there.

Thank You Sponsors!