The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019-20  (Read 40904 times)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
Re: The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019-20
« Reply #580 on: January 14, 2020, 03:35:18 PM »
@ManjiSann I forgot to answer your question, sorry. I have not thought too much about sound. I don't expect it to be a 'work bench' per se. I expect to mount up grinders buffers, a sander, and a drill press. I don't think they will generate a lot of sound, but it is something I will watch out for.
 Of course now I need to make some 2x4's for the frame and gussets. We are getting some snow Saturday afternoon/night. SO we will have to see if I can sneak a log up the hill, I may go grab it one evening so it is ready for Saturday morning. Once that lumber is in the shop, I don't much care about the weather. Plenty of work to do in there and once I get thing 'sort of' arranged, I need to move the table saw and RA saw up there, probably in pieces. I need to keep my eyes open for some able bodied 'volunteers'. ;D :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #581 on: January 15, 2020, 07:31:19 AM »
Well I got started last night re-arranging. My son was over and he looked over the first floor plan. He also got a good feeling for what, of his stuff, I expect to see removed to 'cold storage'. Mostly he was happy to see me making decisions on parting with some stuff that we don't need, and consolidating other things. This is going to be a long process.
 As long as he was here, I took advantage and had him help me move that 5' rack cabinet I have been trying to get rid of downstairs. That was a bear, it probably weighs 200# and is bulky. I wanted it down before I do the railing so we could make the turn at the top of the stairs easier. It was touch and go for a little bit. ;D I moved the first set of shelves over to the new loft while I waited for him to arrive.

That yellow stack will be filled with milk crates for storage of larger items. We talked a lot about the options and had a beer while we beat things around. Today's versions of father/son time.
 We(I) have quite a bit of work to do getting this organized and it seems like there are a lot of things I can't do before I do something else. 

Yeah, it's quite the mess. If you look at the above photo, you will see a run of 1/2" EMT parallel to the rail post and running through that Becks sign from floor to ceiling. It lands right smack in this middle of the bridge. This was a boneheaded move by the previous owner I have been tripping over for 32 years. It has to be relocated to the ceiling. It powers the ceiling fan and will also power that new built in deburring/sanding/grinding bench I hope to build this weekend. That is a job in itself because while doing that I am have to relocate the fan by a few feet and I am not sure how to do that...yet.
 Also a priority is to get the table and RA saw upstairs before the railing goes up. But I need room first. SO there is a lot of bouncing back and forth. I just keep moving forward.
 AT least I did a full night's work for a change, didn't get in until 10pm. Wish I could sleep through the night, That would help. OH, and when I came in the house I got an email from a guy who is hot to get my rack cabinet and he has a truck, so it will be very easy to load. Big weigh off my mind and another 6 sq. ft. of floor just opened up. 8)

Off to work.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #582 on: January 15, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
that looks really good.  I tell people that if a messy desk means you a genius, then I must be "really smart".  reading about getting big stuff up before the railing, I wonder if you want to make the railing removable to facilitate "big" changes in the future.  you have prob. thought about it already.  maybe your retirement job could be shop organization.   :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #583 on: January 15, 2020, 09:42:09 AM »
that looks really good.  I tell people that if a messy desk means you a genius, then I must be "really smart".  reading about getting big stuff up before the railing, I wonder if you want to make the railing removable to facilitate "big" changes in the future.  you have prob. thought about it already.  maybe your retirement job could be shop organization.   :)
You're right Doc, about the railing (not the genius part, for me anyway). My son actually mentioned it last night about using screws, and I made a note to do that, it's a good idea. My son is hot for me to get the rail up so he feels better about where his boys go in the shop. They are being raised like he and I were, being in the shop when work is going on and learning by watching, 'helping', and asking a million questions. :D
 I won't do all the railing until all the big stuff is up, or down, as it needs to be. This will give him motivation to help, and also clean up his stuff which is in my way.
 So screws it is. I am also planning a mid-height rail for the youngest one. The rail is at 35" now so another lower run is in order because he could walk right under it, although he is very conscious of the rail. Within a week I should have it all closed in, except the stair rail details. We keep discussing the options on that.
 Yeah, I could hire on as a consultant for hobby/home shops. I bet there is big money in that. :D

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #584 on: January 15, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
Maybe use some 1 1/2" sched. 40 with the next size up for pockets.  Then it'll lift right off.  Or stake pockets from trailer store if you want to use wood.

Looks good.  Makes we want to go re-organize my storage.  Trouble is, every time I do that I spend a lot of time and end up with 1.6% increase in usable space.   :D  Maybe I need to hire a consultant. 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #585 on: January 15, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
until the boys are bigger, can add orange plastic safety fence to the rails.  As well as you get older and busier, the rail may keep you from getting comfortable and falling off as well.  I like the three generation workforce you have, poss @Old Greenhorn   & sons.   :D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #586 on: January 15, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
Maybe use some 1 1/2" sched. 40 with the next size up for pockets.  Then it'll lift right off.  Or stake pockets from trailer store if you want to use wood.

Looks good.  Makes we want to go re-organize my storage.  Trouble is, every time I do that I spend a lot of time and end up with 1.6% increase in usable space.   :D  Maybe I need to hire a consultant.
It's so rare that I add/subtract a piece of equipment that I think wood and screws will be fine.
Organizing is tough and tedious work, make no mistake. But I think the return in time saved doing the real work is huge. Just being able to find stuff makes a big difference, but who wants to 'waste' a lot of time labeling all there storage drawers?
 Yeah, you should get a consultant, Last time I passed through VA was in '86 I think. Maybe it's time for a return visit? We should talk. ;D

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #587 on: January 15, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
until the boys are bigger, can add orange plastic safety fence to the rails.  As well as you get older and busier, the rail may keep you from getting comfortable and falling off as well.  I like the three generation workforce you have, poss @Old Greenhorn   & sons.   :D
Not a bad idea on the fencing Doc, I'll look around for some cheap stuff or cast off's from a work site.
As for OG & Son's, I think I will wait until they are generating part of the income before I underwrite them. If they generate enough funds to support my retirement, I will give them the whole business.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #588 on: January 15, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »
I'd be tempted to make part of the rail a gate on hinges, you must have a couple of hinges in that stuff. :D 

Put a pin in the latch end with a small padlock so no one can remove the pin with out authorization, A railing that moves unexpectedly is probably worse than no railing! 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #589 on: January 15, 2020, 05:12:30 PM »
   Don't sweat the clutter. I used to tell people "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #590 on: January 15, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
  Don't sweat the clutter. I used to tell people "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?"
I HATE the clutter. Makes it really hard to work. Spent 2 hours out there tonight. some more stuff went in the dump trailer. My son was there for a bit and I got him to clean up a 'little bit' of his 'stuff'. I spent the whole time doing what seemed to be nothing. Moving this pile over there, then clearing that out, then moving another pile and when I quit, it didn't look much better. but I keep reminding myself I am moving forward, which I am. Tomorrow night will be the same thing I am sure. Removing dead EMT runs and stacking things in a more orderly and condensed pile. Eventually it will all pay off, I keep telling myself anyway. 
 Funny I had a stack of batten boards I milled up last winter and some odd dimensional pieces I re stacked tonight. HOLY COW that was bad stuff. Most of it will go into the wood stove I think eventually. What a difference between my 'milling eye' last winter and this one. The journey continues.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #591 on: January 15, 2020, 10:14:46 PM »
Just keep walking it forward.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #592 on: January 16, 2020, 05:37:10 PM »
Well, I think I am taking tonight off. I only managed about 3 hours sleep last night and it was a very long day even though I left work early, but thanks to an angel I got a scrip for a med I think will help reduce the cough. Oh, the thought of most of a night's sleep is almost too good to be true.
As it is, I did a days work anyway. This morning a co-worker approached me nearly in tears and desparate. Apparently a tree came down on the private road she lives on, her land and it is blocking the road for all her neighbors. She said the tree is 5' in diameter and she had no idea who to call to get the road opened up. All the big tree companies are tied up. I told her 'no promises' but we went in my office and called my son. Good timing, they were just between jobs and he could have one of his guys there within the hour, then he would join him when he fished picking up materials for tomorrow's work. I left work at 2 to go get my prescription and get it started, then headed over there. We had 30-40MPH winds all day today  and the power company and tree crews were busy all over. Her 5 foot diameter tree turned out the be a 6' diameter stump with two 30" DBH stems about 90' tall (now long). Rotten at the stump in the center, but solid from 6' and up. Very heavy stuff. So I gave the boys a hand running the saw because bucking a tree that size is still tricky for them. They hooked up a winch and snatch blocks to haul off the road. All good and clear now. They offered me the tree but I told them I have no way to load them on my trailer. They are going to check resources about getting them lifted for me. ;D
 So I am relaxing tonight to try and get back on track. I will admit that clone saw with a 28" bar came in mighty handy and worked very well. One of the guys from the power company working on clearing downed trees on power lines came over and watched me cut. He complimented the saw and asked where I got it. He thought it cut really well, and I was pretty happy with that stream of chips ripping off of it. I don't need therapy, I just need my chain saw. :D

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #593 on: January 16, 2020, 05:48:43 PM »
Making sawdust is therapy!  Spread over the life of sawdust making tools, the cost is reasonable.  Fishing and hunting are the only things I can think of that rival making sawdust for "therapetic" (for fans of Andy Griffith) diversions.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #594 on: January 18, 2020, 08:22:08 PM »
I just spent an hour writing a post here and when I clicked post the system said I was no longer logged in and dumped my post. Tried a bunch of stuff cant retrieve it. but I have the photos in the gallery and the rules are I need to post them so here are the photos and cryptic descriptions. I am not going to re-type all what I wrote.
 First, I made some shelves last night to use dead space and clear junk off the bench.

Thanks to @nybhh for the lumber used in these, they are the drops from the roof sheathing he gave me for my mill shed last winter.

Then today I got the railing up. 

I used a swooped piece of white oak for the interim barrier, rather than make it firewood.

The tie-in to the old loft looks good, but the new stuff is nicer than the older.

After the railings, I did the 'workbench/stairwell cover/ box thingy'. Using scrap plywood to sheath this in and will paint it when done.

Tomorrow I have a choice: either get this area ready for moving the table saw up in it....

...Or I can take care of this electrical mess I have been ignoring for as long as I have owned this place

We've got 5" of snow so far today, so I will either plow tonight, if it stops or in the morning and lose work time in the shop. Either way.
 Sorry I lost the original post, no way could I save it. I thought it was pretty good. Just bad timing I guess. G'night.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #595 on: January 18, 2020, 08:49:01 PM »
Nice progress.  Good way to spend a snowy day. 

I used to lose posts that same way. Frustrating. I started logging in for 1 day instead of 1 hour. No more time outs and losing my post. 

Before using the longer log in time, I got in the habit of hitting ctrl a, ctrl c (select all, copy) before hitting post. Then I could just log back in and paste the contents into a new reply without losing anything. 

Either way will keep from that annoyance. Its frustrating to write a long reply and then lose it because the session timed out! Usually was one of my pulitzer-worthy efforts too. :D
HM126

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #596 on: January 18, 2020, 10:01:28 PM »
Very clever idea, that workbench over the stairwell.
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #597 on: January 18, 2020, 10:02:39 PM »
Very clever idea, that workbench over the stairwell.
Accidents happen!  ;D :D

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #598 on: January 18, 2020, 10:05:30 PM »
Well that's a happy accident :laugh:
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #599 on: January 19, 2020, 12:20:56 PM »
OG, I'm enjoying your loft build.  It really is turning out nice.  It has me thinking about something similar for supply inventory in my shop.  It also might make a good bandsaw blade sharpening area. 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fire Season 2019

Started by Riwaka on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 08:54:24 PM
by Riwaka
xx
Sawing season begins

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 11:07:29 AM
by NWwoodsman