iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Ilex has some 1000 or better variants listed in Texas.  Dendrologist gone wild on minor differences.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

Interesting.  The drink has caffeine in it.  The vomitoria species has more caffeine than the Dahoon(cassine), but only 8% of the caffeine found in coffee beans.  I just looked this up and didn't know it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fordw60s

There is a company in Austin TX that sells the Yaupon Tea (Ilex vomitoria) and it is pretty good. The company is called Lost Pine Yaupon. I have gathered it since it is plentiful here but it is hard to get the right roast to me, other than that is is best plus to know it is native is a plus.  

firefighter ontheside

The deciduous holly or Possumhaw that we have here does not have any caffeine in it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

customsawyer

I got to cut one the other day that I had never seen before. I put it on Facebook so any of you that seen it there are not allowed to say what it is. Customer brought the logs to me so no picture of the tree standing or leaves.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

newoodguy78

caveman

I appologize for not having better leaf pictures of this tree.  This is not a common tree for my area.  I noticed it while the FFA nursery team was participating in a contest last week at Hollis Garden in Lakeland, Fl.  I did not look through this thread to determine if someone put this one up as an i.d. previously.  The trees at this garden, for the most part, are clones of trees that existed on famous people's property.  There is one from Helen Keller's residence, Thomas Jefferson's and several others.  This one is from Patrick Henry's.

What is it?
Caveman

Texas Ranger

I recognize it but cannot pull it out.  Never mind, Osage orange.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

You got it.  It has become a tree of the days thread.  I doubt I'll see any new stuff for the next several weeks.  
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

One hint, I'm in Croatia right now.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

It is a willow. Probably white.

Native to Europe, central Asia, and northern Africa

Hope you are having a great trip. Thanks for the pics
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Nope. Look closely at the bark.

Native to southern Europe and southwest Asia, from northern Spain (Pyrenees) east to the Crimea and the Caucasus. It is also found in France and parts of central Europe.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Croatian olive tree.
Olea europaea

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Ya know, ya got me thinking. I'm gonna have to back and look! The leaves look funny right now because they are just coming out. They do look long and skinny like olive in my picture. But the massive height and the bark just don't match olive.

So I'm gonna say try again.
John Sawicky

beenthere

Will wait for better pics. ;) ;D
south central Wisconsin

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Don P

The dentata looks like,
Sweet chestnut?

Ljohnsaw

Probably, but no signs of nuts anywhere. They do keep the streets spotless!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Let's try another one. This is in Trieste, Italy but don't let that distract you as it is in a botanical garden.

John Sawicky

Don P

Pino Silvestre, Pinus Sylvestris, Scots pine aka baltic pine? ... only cause it is the most common pine over there IIRC

Edit, hmm, for where you are pinus pinea, Stone Pine, or Italian Stone Pine, or Umbrella pine, they do have a distinct flat top which I'm not seeing from the vertical shot.

Ljohnsaw

Not Italian or Scot pine but another local country 🤔
John Sawicky

Ianab

No use here... My Pine tree ID skills are basically "Radiata" or "something else". As 99% of the pine trees locally are Radiata, that's generally good enough.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

That bark actually reminds me of Deodar Cedar.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ljohnsaw

Common name of an area of religious turmoil. Latin name starts with A.
John Sawicky

tule peak timber

Aleppo, possibly Lebanon cedar as it is a close relative to the Deodar.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!