iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Today's tree is another from the world's largest continent.

I did not take a picture of the whole tree because it would have needed to go under a new topic titled, improper pruning, akin to the crape murder that goes on where crape myrtles grow.

By the end of the week, the growing zones of the tree varieties will likely change.
Caveman

WDH

I elm not sure if I have seen one outside of the University of Georgia campus :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

These pictures are of another exa

mple of yesterday's tree.  

[/img]
Caveman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

btulloh

I'm out of clever puns for these last couple trees. I better stop by the pun store and re-stock.

Nice work, caveman, finding a new tree every day. Quite a responsibility!
HM126

caveman

This is fun and I am learning a lot (Cook Pine).  Today's tree and my wife's maiden name are the same.  When I start running low I anticipate others will offer samples.
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I would love to throw in a few from around here, though not everything I have is native to MO.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Folks would probably appreciate seeing trees from other places. 
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I took some pictures and am ready to go with a tree right out my back door.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

The tree of the day today was a Drake Elm or Chinese Elm, (Ulmus parvifolia).

Firefighter has the tree of the day for 7/3. 
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

Without further adieu, here is the tree for tomorrow.  It will probably be an easy one for some.  It does not grow naturally in MO, but ours were planted originally about 60 years ago by my dad and grandparents.  They seed very well here though and we have had many volunteers over 60 years.  The small trees suffer greatly with snow and ice.  I've got some that need to be cut down as they are bent all the way to the ground from snow this winter.  The specimen outside my back door is about 36" dbh and is about 90' tall I'm guessing.  It's needles are in groups of three and are between 5" and 9" long.  It's cones are from 3" to 6" long.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

I lob a lot of this lumber around my mill.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DelawhereJoe

Loblolly pine by the look of that pinecone, lots grow here in Delaware, not many in my neck of the woods though....and it may be time to sharpen your mower blades its starting to tear your grass.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

firefighter ontheside

If I had time to take care of my grass or my lawnmower, I wouldn't have time to use my sawmill.  Lol.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

I believe I may partake of a drink from the land of this tree.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

As a few pointed out, the tree of the day was in fact loblolly pine.  One of the southern yellow pines.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda). Thanks, Firefighterontheside.

Tomorrow morning around 5:30 I'll have another compound leaved tree for you.  I will be driving a lot tomorrow so I doubt I'll have time to log on to the FF until early Friday morning.  Tomorrow's tree is an Asian native that has been used worldwide as a landscape tree.  It entered north America prior to the forming of the U.S.A.
Caveman

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

caveman

Today's tree also has edible seeds.

This tree is in the front yard of a friend.  I apologize for not having good leaf pictures but I guess he had one of his boys lop off the lower branches.  The leaves seen in the bottom picture belong to a staghorn fern which is hanging in the tree.  There is more Spanish Moss too.  
Caveman

caveman

The leaves of this tree are supposed to be compound alternate although some from my picture seem to be compound opposite.  Based on the map, many of you probably have seen this one, especially when it is flowering.  It even has invasive tendencies in Florida.  There are cultivars of this tree sold in nurseries for ornamental use.
Caveman

Don P

If it's what I think it is, it is such a prolific seeder that the seeds were used as packing material for Chinese porcelain. A royal pain.

caveman

Today's tree was a Golden Raintree. It has a really cool scientific name but I can't spell it. I'll try to post it in the morning after I go outside and take some tree pictures. Just made it to Franklin, NC. 
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I've never heard of that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Picture from today, tree OTD from a couple of days back. 
Norfolk Island Pines at Ngamotu beach today. Looks like summer at the beach, it wasn't. Temp about 10C and a brisk breeze. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!