iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

had a pt. that was ill yesterday, but they are not "sick any more"   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Quote from: WDH on June 18, 2019, 08:06:20 AM
Some will need a few More clues.
You going with Ash Danny?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

For those who have not recognized the bark.  

Caveman

firefighter ontheside

Very pretty when quartersawn!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Hadn't heard of pond apple.  I'll go look it up.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Terrible firewood. Is this the European flavor? does not look to be.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

caveman

American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)

Caveman

ESFted

Depends on location.  London Plane (P. acerifolia) is more widely planted in cities.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Don P

I didn't know we got to measure out to the far edge of the sawdust pile, I guess it is all wood ;D.

A friend had a floor that was quartersawn sycamore, beautiful.

tule peak timber

I didn't want him breathing on the log.......... :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

caveman

If anyone cares to explain how one can differentiate London plane from American Sweetgum I would appreciate the lesson.  I read the VT fact sheets on both and looked at the pictures of both and I did not see anything that would allow me to key either one out confidently every time.  I have had foresters tell me that Southern Redcedar and Eastern Redcedar are different too but I cannot tell them apart.

Thanks for posting a couple of pics from Jake's place, I look forward to that gathering all year.  The problem is that I come home and slide down the slippery slope a little more each time.
Caveman

Southside

Quote from: caveman on June 18, 2019, 10:11:59 PMI have had foresters tell me that Southern Redcedar and Eastern Redcedar are different too but I cannot tell them apart.

It's in how well they behave... :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Thanks, Firefighter.

Today's tree of the day gets off to an early start.  I am going to go out on a limb and predict that this one may not be as easy for everyone as yesterday's tree but I am certain it will not challenge everyone.

Caveman

WDH

The green photosynthetic stems are one good clue.  Also, a compound leaf.  Southside is going to ask me if I think that it is ash, pulling my leg as usual, but he needs to show more respect to his elders. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I have a beautifully colored bowl turned from that species.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You probably have a few red stars in your pith, too :D. 

curdog

Some of the woods has really pretty red streaks... that's something that can't be negated. 

firefighter ontheside

You can make really nice boxes for your elders with that wood. 
When I was a kid fishing with my dad, I got my lure stuck in a tree.  We were fishing from a canoe and didn't want to stand up to long to get the lure out so I just reached up and broke off the red stem.  Well, it turned out I had broken off the end of my red fishing rod.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

I hope Southside is listening to this.  He thinks that anything with compound leaves and opposite branching is an ash.  OK, Southside, ash ain't in the maple family. 

Southside

Well, Dogwood Ash and Maple, if you want to Box me in like that.  Village Elders, geesh.... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Don't forget the compound, opposite Tabebuia from several days ago.  Not all  opposite trees are Dogwood, Ash, or Maples and not all compound, opposite trees are Ash.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!