iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I think Danny may have it.  Looks right.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

Today's tree of the day.  Sorry that I do not have a good sized tree to show pictures of.  I am sure several will recognize it right off.  Feel free to include some better pictures.  They don't really grow here but they are prevalent north of here. 

I have another tree of the day sample for another day that many will recognize but most probably do not know that they get to tree size.

Caveman

Southside

Oh gosh - easy one - Potted Oak, which if set on top of a fence post becomes a different kind of Post Oak, closely related to a Post Turtle.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

DanG seedling leaves, can we get a macro?

caveman

This is a VT picture.  
Caveman

Texas Ranger

LeeB

Here's a different kind of trees. :D

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

caveman

Texas Ranger, you were right on the VT picture that I posted (it has been modified to what it should be).  The tree was supposed to be a Black Oak (Quercus velutina).
Caveman

lxskllr

Didn't know other trees were on the table. There's an iron sequoia on my way to work, but I might get arrested collecting a needle sample  :^D

caveman

LeeB, I am guessing that since you are in the oil industry, soon to retire I think, it is a Christmas tree.

Today's tree was one I took the pictures of yesterday morning in a waiting room.  It is frequently used as a foliage plant but given the proper growing conditions it will reach tree size (nearly 100') and will drop down roots from the trunk and branches.  It is very easy to propagate using stem cuttings.

Another hint: Thrips is the main insect that attacks these trees in the nursery or landscape.  They are native to Asia and Australia.
Caveman

LeeB

Caveman, you are correct. They are called christmas trees. 

Lindy used to have a few of today's trees as potted specimens. One go fairly big but nowhere as large as you mention.  :o
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DelawhereJoe

I'm surprised that tree in the office wasn't fake.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

firefighter ontheside

It's hard to come up with any puns for this tree.  How about....a guy named Benjamin might like it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

I would not give a fig for the doctors visit

ESFted

I canned a bunch of fig jam today, but they didn't come from this tree.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

btulloh

HM126

caveman

Y'all got it.  Produces latex and has edible berries.  Benjamin Fig (Ficus benjamina).  I have seen it grown as a hedge.
Caveman

caveman

I do not have anything for today.  A few we have not used and I do not have around here are Balsam Fir, Sitka Spruce, Redwood, Western Redcedar, Spruce Pine, Jack Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Pin Oak, Mesquite, Cuban or Florida Mahogany, Red Mangrove, White Mangrove, Black Mangrove, Douglas Fir, Scotch Pine, Western Hemlock, Melaleuca, Eucalyptus, River Birch, Quaking Aspen, Buckeye, and a host of others.

Caveman

Ianab

Careful what you wish for, there are ~300 species of Eucalyptus  :D

Rimu (Dacrydium cupressinum) was the last one I posted. Brilliant timber, but very slow growing and legally protected, so very little is harvested these days. 

Anyway, another local. 

Leaves

Trunk / branches with a local Honey Eater strutting his stuff (early spring is mating season) and the birds come down from the Mt to hang out in the town gardens where there are more flowering trees. 

Closer up of the flower. The pic is right way up, the bird isn't  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

Thanks, Ian.  I think I know what it is, even though I cannot pronounce it, but I won't go out on that limb quite yet.  

Years ago, Florida's Forest Service had Eucalyptus spp. listed on the FFA forestry contest list.  I guess they could have used any of the 300.  I only saw it show up once and the leaves the collecting forester used were red.  
Caveman

Ianab

Hint on the pronunciation. 
The Maori alphabet has no F.   "wh" is the equivalent. Not exact. but if you say it that way you will be close enough. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I may be able to do a few of the trees listed by caveman.  I have a few specimens of 2 of those.  Young though they be.  No cones yet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

Best I can come up with is Kōwhai

Thank You Sponsors!