The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Keep those worms cool  (Read 214 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Keep those worms cool
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:06:09 PM »
   I get out and catch nightcrawlers at night especially after a rain but found most were only living a few days in a bucket of sawdust and dirt even when I kept them in a cool, shaded storage area. My mom came out in late June and I took her fishing and bought a cup of nightcrawlers from a local bait shop and noticed they had them stored in a fridge. We used about half of them and after our trip I stuck the cup of them in my spare fridge in my barn and forgot about them. 5-6 weeks later I was going fishing and checked them and they all were very much alive. I used them over several trips and dug and added a few more. When I'd go fishing I'd keep them in my cooler on ice. That seems to be the ticket.

I'd take out a worm and cut him into 1/2-1 inch lengths to use to catch bait for my catfish lines or on the jig hook on my jig spinners (Beetle spin type lure). Keeping them chilled seems to be working great to keep my bait alive even for weeks to months. 

BTW - I found that using a jig spinner with the typical plastic wiggly tail  jig tails/grubs especially for bluegills and crappies such I find the fish often strike short and just tap the grub/tail and don't get the hook. I find using a piece of live bait like a cricket, piece of a night crawler, chunk of a minnow or crayfish tail, etc works great to increase the success rate of my fishing. The spinner attracts the fish then when they smell the live/cut bait they attack it with gusto. You might try that if you are getting a lot of short strikes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bandsaw sharpening: To cool or not to cool that is the question!

Started by New Inn Wood Man on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 05:28:03 AM
by New Inn Wood Man
thumbup
Now this is cool, cool stuff!

Started by Paschale on General Board

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2005, 01:22:04 AM
by UNCLEBUCK
xx
Big Can of Worms