The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: 2019 WV Catfish  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
Re: 2019 WV Catfish
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 07:00:49 PM »
Danny,

Yeah, its funny how that physics thing works. :D I thought about inventing an idiot proof stern plug hinged on the bottom of the boat then floats up and seals the hole when you put the boat in the water. At least this time I remembered quickly, jumped in and put it in then took off and got the boat on plane and drained most of it out.
I did that once, back when I was stationed in Alaska!
A friend and I were launching my 12 foot inflatable in the surf down at Anchor Point and mis-guessed the timing of the surf!
The next thing that happened was the surf FILLED the boat and soaked us.  Point to remember: if an inflatable is still inflated, it won't sink!
My friend went back to the beach/shore (only 6 feet from where we were) and I just jumped in and got out beyond the breakers and ran the boat back and forth (parallel with the shoreline) until it was empty. 
The inflatable doesn't have a plug, it has a flap that closes with the water pressure against it and opens during operation to allow the water in the boat to exit!
We learned something that day!  ;)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 07:21:42 PM »
many sailboats that are designed to swamp and easily right themselves have a special plug with a string so the water can go out when up to speed by venturi action
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 08:24:51 PM »
    Don't the fish escape from the live well when that happens? :D And I guess you better have all the gear tied down. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »
many sailboats that are designed to swamp and easily right themselves have a special plug with a sting so the water can go out when up to speed by venturi action
I don't want to be on a boat that small !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 08:47:29 PM »
It is the fish pulling the boat!  i guess if you are being chased by a shark, then yes, "I think you are going to need a bigger boat".   :D  or as the capim said, "rather be swimmin with bow legged women".   :D   8)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2019, 09:48:31 PM »
TPT,

Did you notice if that fish had a bush hook with a name tag made of pink flagging ribbon with my name on it? It looks like one of the two who stole my lines this trip. Either that or he was running away from them. :D

The line looked like this one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2019, 10:15:37 PM »
WV, No ...this fish was trailing 5 miles of stainless steel cable.
  Do you guys have otters or other critters gloming onto your fish ?

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »
TPT,

I don''t know of an otter ever stealing a fish or bait from me. I did find the biggest mink I have ever seen 2 years ago on the bank with about a 3 lb channel cat still attached to the line. He had started to chew the fishes chin when we got there and chased him off. The fish was about 6' up on the bank and still quite lively so the mink had just gotten to him. Last season I had one line that was pulled up on the bank twice and the bait fish was missing both times apparently from another mink. Usually the fish I catch are too big for a mink to handle. I have not found heads or anything left on a line that looked like an otter had gotten to them? I have in the past had limbs chewed off by beavers taking my line with them but that was just luck of the draw the beaver picked that limb to eat as the beavers don't eat or bother the fish.

I used to occasionally get a big snapping turtle hung on my line but that was mostly them stealing my cut or live bait or rarely a catfish. Often they would be foul hooked in the foot or shell. I have not even caught one of them in a couple years. I once had a big water snake tail walking like a big bass trying to shake a small dead bream off one of my lines. Fortunately he was not hooked and fled when I arrived so I did not have to try to unhook him. I don't like them but he was not doing anything un snake like.
Howard Green

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2019, 10:46:25 PM »
OR.........You are simply hooking fish too big for your gear.
        Please keep the pics coming as I really enjoy anything fish. Your buckets of filets have me drooling like Pavlov's puppy. 8) 8)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
TPT,

No, the fish I lost this time were not too big for my gear. It was simple operator error when I tied the special quick release knot my old mentor taught me to use to the limb. I probably just needed to snug it just a hair more to tighten the knot a little more.

I need to see if I can find a real small circle hooks for my bait catching. I lose 15-20 % of my bait by them swallowing the hook and killing them unhooking them. A dead bait is near worthless in my type fishing.

When I was stationed in Albany Ga I'd put out trotlines for big alligator snapping turtles. I'd butcher them and we ate them regularly. I think they yielded about 50% of live weight in meat. I've had big ones (75 lbs or so) bite through the shank of an 8/0 stainless steel hook. Big softshells tasted better but were harder to catch and keep alive.
Howard Green

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2019, 11:13:23 AM »
Man... You are making me hungry!

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
when my kids were little, we would go fishing.  Monique was the fisher girl and William would find other things to do.  We had caught about 3 fish and had them on a stringer, and Wil was playing with the night crawlers. He called me over with his hand in the water, saying"dad there is a snake over here".  I assumed he meant the night crawler.  There was a 3 foot water snake latched onto the side of one of our fish.  pulled out the stringer and walked up the bank to see if others could help identify.  it stayed on the fish until i got back by the waters edge and it released and dropped back into the lake.  They were about 6 and 4 t the time, now 20 and 18, Wil just grad. HS and Monique has graduated from comm. college and on to a 4 year school.  Might be time to go fishing for old time sake.  @tule peak timber makes you a little less hungry seeing a snake latched on your supper, course you prob. would have eaten the snake.   :) digin_2 smiley_beertoast

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
   My biggest problem with snakes here in WV is small water snakes getting into my minnow traps and drowning. I don't know how many of my minnows they ate before they died as I don't conduct autopsies on them. If alive I release them. They are a nuisance but just doing what comes natural. I don't even kill the poisonous ones around here now unless they are around some place with people, especially kids, or pets. I killed my share and more as a kid and we had some nasty ones growing up - moccasins, rattlesnakes, copperheads, and coral snakes. I even stopped my local guide from killing a black mamba in Ethiopia on a trip there as we were not near any villages. In Ecuador we were going to relocate a big/20' anaconda from near a shaman's village as they had killed one there the year before and they did have small kids and poultry and goats and such but when we stopped on our return trip to move her she was gone.

I grew up in N. Fla and we'd sometimes pull up a stringer of fish to find a big alligator snapping turtle eating on them or a big gar would be towing you around. Gators are more common there now and they may become an issue but were no problem when I was growing up. I have heard of people float fishing in a big inner tube being towed by gators till they could cut the stringer. That would get my attention real quick!
Howard Green

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2019, 10:57:41 PM »
WV, I am enjoying the fish tales and pics too.  I used to fish up to 200 days a year but it seems like it has been 200 days since I have been fishing.  Do you use a dehooker?  I never did until it was required to have one on the boat in Florida's coastal waters.  I made a few with a coil on the end and added a handle on the other end (the wire or steel rod is matched to the size of fish).  They are the berries for removing SW catfish as well as others. My choice for circle hooks are those made by owner.  

Gators- I saw one that had been hit by a car about a half a mile from my house this morning on U.S. HW 98.  Also, when I was in high school, I was wading a nearby lake flipping in the cat tails for bass one late afternoon.  The water was a little over waist deep and I had a stringer of seven or eight bass tied around my waist.  Darkness had caught me quite a ways from shore when I heard a commotion in the cat tails several feet away-no doubt a sizable springtime gator.  I got low in the water to try to move furtively while reluctantly releasing a pretty respectable stringer of bass.  The 300-400 feet between where I was and the bank still gives me the eebie jeebies when I think about that walk (wade) in the dark.  On more than one occasion, Jmoore and I quickly hopped up on the end of someone's dock to get some separation between us an aggressive gator while wade fishing Lake Gibson.  
Caveman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2019, 06:51:22 AM »
Cavey,

I almost never need a de-hooker now that I have started using circle hooks. Of the 4 dozen fish I caught during this trip only one little 4-5 lb flathead had swallowed the hook. I often have to use my leatherman pliers to pull a hook out of the boney jaws of a fish. Back when I used a J style hook I'd say at least 50% swallowed the hook. I looked yesterday for some small circle hooks for bait catching but about a number 4 or 2 was the smallest they had. I will check with Bar Pro or Cabelas the next time I go to Charlotte or some place where they have one.

The gators were pretty rare in N. Fla when I was coming up but are more common now. We'd see a few on the Suwannee River when we'd fish don't there where Dad was raised. Grandpa was one of the early Game Wardens in Fla and was a plume and gator hunter prior to that. He knew all the illegal hunters because he had hunted with them all his life. Although back then it was mostly legal to hunt them.
Howard Green

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2019, 10:13:42 AM »
Offshore thieves were killer whales, sea lions, birds, and sixgill sharks. Near shore and surface longlining we dealt with seals and birds. The pic below is a short set line coming out of 250 fathoms, check out the bulging eyes. With proper care I delivered slowly beating hearts into the LA market 2 days later. Fresh fish !

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2019, 12:19:41 PM »
TPT,

Are those snapper or rockfish or what? Looks like one on every hook as far as I can see. 

I have trotlines but have not used them in several years because the limblines/bushhooks are working well. We used to have problems on the Suwannee River with fish thieves seeing a shaking limb then they'd come over, throw the fish in the boat and cut the line off. Sometimes I have a disgruntled bass fisherman or such cut off a few hooks but I don't seem to be having and significant fish theft issues. Trotlines can be real productive as yours with a lot of fish caught in a small area but you can sure get hurt with them too. Several times I've had boaters come by and cut mine with their prop while I was working it so I have to keep enough weight on to keep it several feet under water even when working it. Several times I've had to just throw it back and start over because of thoughtless or careless boaters. I try to put my lines out on Monday-Thursday and take them up before the weekends so I don't interfere with pleasure boaters and other fishermen. My lines are so close to shore now they are never a threat to skiers or tubers or such.

We just got back from a photo outing up there my wife scheduled with her mentee. He has been with us before. We only saw one blue heron and usually we'd see dozens. One far off eagle and usually 6-10 of them and only 2 ospreys. Maybe it is too early for the blue herons. They did get pictures of this one catching crawfish and minnows which is always neat. The photographed one old doe browsing in the weeds on the bank but none in the water today. We saw one otter but not able to photograph him. They are rare enough it is a real treat to see one. Most boaters and fishermen here have never seen one. Of course hey also don't know about the little green herons which are very common and very photogenic - they look like grumpy old men to me. Anyway we had a good time so that is what matters.
Howard Green

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
WV, these are Blackgill rockfish, a species I pursued incessantly in the 80-90's. Fish in the pic are typically 80 years old. A hook every 3 feet, miles of line....
  Your fishing etiquette sounds like you are a gentleman, and smart ! :)
  Please keep your fishing- catching chronicles up to date.  I have more salt in my blood than sawdust !

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
TPT,

Man that is some old fish. I had no idea any fish lived to that age. I went fishing one day with my BIL in Alaska and we caught a few rockfish of some species that looked similar to those. We sure didn't catch as many as you did. As I remember they were pretty good eating.
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
More WV Catfish

Started by WV Sawmiller on The Outdoor Board

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 10:52:14 PM
by sawmilllawyer
xx
catfish

Started by treefarmer87 on The Outdoor Board

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 10:38:33 PM
by Magicman
xx
280 LB. CATFISH

Started by luvmexfood on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 05:43:58 AM
by cbla
xx
Catfish anyone???

Started by gator gar on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

32 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 07:27:07 PM
by Mooseherder