iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody using WoodOwl bits?

Started by btulloh, May 24, 2019, 10:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

with a screw type bit, I agree better to finish from the back, as well with forstners, but with a compound angle can be tough.  backer board and going through so the screw and keep pulling not a bad idea.  If you are doing this by hand, how accurate do you need/want your angles.  I guess if you are squaring them up, you can correct some with a chisel. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

Only had a few minutes this morning to try a couple test holes.  I forgot I had a breakfast "meeting" which took up much of the cooler period, but I did run down early and give it a quick go.

Both bits are manageable in the regular drill, but just barely.  I like the Irwin design better for most of my needs.  Smoother, more accurate holes.  The Owl is ok, but it tends to wobble in the hole a bit, making the hole less accurate, but still acceptable for what I will be doing with it.  The Owl bits seemed to be aimed at drilling in framing.  It says it's "nail proof", which would be a nice thing for drilling in framing.
HM126

Dan_Shade

Be aware of how hot your drill can get using those augers.  

A friend smoked one of my drills when drilling holes for wiring. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

btulloh

Good point.  

Even the 1/2" ship auger has caused my battery protection to trip out.  These bits demand some big power.  I've been on the lookout for an appropriate RA drill that will run these things, but until then I'm just taking it easy.  Between the battery protection and my wrists, I don't have much choice.  Fortunately, I've just got a few holes now and then to deal with.

HM126

tule peak timber

Quote from: btulloh on May 29, 2019, 11:38:37 AM
Only had a few minutes this morning to try a couple test holes.  I forgot I had a breakfast "meeting" which took up much of the cooler period, but I did run down early and give it a quick go.

Both bits are manageable in the regular drill, but just barely.  I like the Irwin design better for most of my needs.  Smoother, more accurate holes.  The Owl is ok, but it tends to wobble in the hole a bit, making the hole less accurate, but still acceptable for what I will be doing with it.  The Owl bits seemed to be aimed at drilling in framing.  It says it's "nail proof", which would be a nice thing for drilling in framing.
Yes, I can say that they will chew through nails !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

Irwin also makes a "speedbore" with I think 3 flutes.  they work good in soft wood and come in 3 packs or so and not too pricey, available at lowes ect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!