The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Hot Box  (Read 4259 times)

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
Re: Hot Box
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 12:36:05 PM »
Thanks, WoodDoc.  I will check the wire insulation for discoloration and probably add another fan and direct the airflow of each fan across the cooling fins on the light fixtures.  
Caveman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
I don't recognize those halogens.  They may have been intended for a different configuration.  They should not be burning out so fast and your wires should not be discolored.  They seem mounted awfully close to the back wall.

I use standard Lowes/Home Depot/Amazon self contained 500 watt work lamps.  They don't need forced airflow but it wouldn't hurt.  The yellow one pictured below cost $17 at Home Depot, is rated for 2,000 hour bulb life and the bulbs can be bought online for Lowes/Home depot for less than $5.  They can be used with extension cords if desired. They only require 18 ga wire and you are using 12 ga, so thats should be plenty for these lights.

The 500 Watt bulbs are available from Home Depot for $6.74 ($3.37/bulb) for a two pack of bulbs, but I found some online for less than $1 per bulb.

The one below looks better, its available at Northern, costs $15, has a one year warranty and comes with an extra bulb.  

They should last as long in your hot box as they would sitting on your garage floor.  I routinely get to 150F chamber temps with these and hold for days if necessary.  

Fans are a good idea to move the hot air around the box, and to keep any localized hearing down.

In this picture, below, where I was working on my L53 refrigeration system issue some tine ago, if you look up on the fan baffle, which looks like a shelf, you can see two of these lamps sitting on the shelf, on either side of aluminum kiln structure.  So the install procedure is just put them on the shelf and plug them up.  The one on the left has the cord dangling, so is easy to see.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 10:23:13 PM »
I checked the wiring today.  It looked fine.  Tomorrow, if I have time, I will install another lamp, a little further away from the wall (after wiping the bulb down with alcohol-maybe someone in Asia touched the bulb) and add another 12v fan blowing across the cooling fins of the lamps and see what happens.  This should not be so difficult.  Someone today suggested using the heat lamps, 250w but I doubt they will be any more effective than what we are using.

If this fails, I will just go to the store and shop for some that look like the ones Robert uses.

Caveman

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
Yellowhammer, thank you for taking the time to post pictures of your setup and the lights.  Those lights look like they should do the trick.  

Caveman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 08:58:09 AM »
The advantage of these types of cookie cutter halogen work lights are they are fully sealed to prevent dust and corrosive moisture intrusion and also protect the bulb from any wind or breeze.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
John bought the last three halogen work lights that the Lake Wales Rural King store had for $4 each today.  They are changing to LED work lights.  I was going to run up to Zephyrhills, which is 15-20 minutes from my place but the RK there was sold out.  I mention this in case some of you have a Rural King nearby and may want a good deal on a work light.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 10:10:23 PM »
I bought 10 of those yellow frame halogens when Menards was closing them out.  Got 10 because did not know how many I need to heat up the old reefer. Hope it is enough.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2019, 08:53:24 AM »
I didn't realize the halogens were being phased out in favor of LED work lights.  It makes sense, but bad news for this application. 

I need to stock up if I can find some clearance lights like you guys are finding.

$4 is a great deal, wow.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
Caveman, That's a great looking kiln.
Can I see a closer picture of the hinges?
Thanks
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2019, 12:53:53 PM »
The cords were only about a foot long on the lights so I wired in longer wires so that we could unplug them outside of the building.  

The hinges were made out of some metal I had lying around, 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" angle, 1/2" cold rolled, whatever pipe fits it tight and 2" flat bar.  I want to make some for our solar kiln and get rid of the access panel and just have two swinging doors.

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
After installing the work lights this morning, I turned them on and one of the `3amp fans.  It took 3-4 hours to heat up to 152F while empty.   I did not seal up the foam joints.  Mainly, I just wanted to see if the lights would live.  The work lights use the same bulbs as the light fixtures we were using.  The next step is to seal it up a little better, load it with wood with bugs (I laid a cypress board on the ground last week and it has termites now and the carpenter bees are still in a few of our boards) and see what happens.

Thanks to all who offered guidance.  Hopefully this thing will work as intended.
Kyle

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2019, 07:51:18 PM »
Excellent. 

Youll have crispy critters before you know it.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
might make good snacks for the pig roast!!!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2019, 08:37:16 PM »
might make good snacks for the pig roast!!!
Waste not want not :D
Liking Walnut

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
Update on the box.  We finally loaded it up with some live oak slabs that had been in the solar kiln until Friday morning.  With two 500 watt halogen lights and a small 12 v fan it took until yesterday morning to reach 135 F.  By 6 p.m. it was 145 and holding at 146 this morning.  I will let it run the rest of today and leave it closed up until tomorrow.  The last couple of days have been cloudy/rainy and very humid.  That may have had an affect on how long it took to get to temperature.

The next thing to do before using it again will be to add another light or two to bring it up to temperature quicker (like Yellowhammer does).

One of these days we may get around to building proper barn doors for the kiln and then I expect we will use it more.  The panel, that I thought would be so simple to remove and install, has been a major pain in the neck.  The hot box door hinges were simple to build and with bigger material or more of them, they should work well for the kiln.

This worked really well in my mind but in operation there were too many variables.  The ground and the kiln need to be in the same plane, turning the front tires will move the panel several inches even when not moving forward or back, the sandy ground is easily disturbed by turning tires resulting in holes, our header sagged a bit which makes installation even more challenging and from the tractor seat it is difficult to get it aligned perfectly without a spotter on the ground.  I show this to help someone else choose a simpler path.
Caveman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »
Glad it worked, but I agree, throw a few more lights in there.  Make the circuit breakers groan an little.   :D

Since you can hold the temps at 1,000 watts, you can boost the speed with a couple or more lights to get up to temp quicker, then unplug all but two and maintain the temps.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »
I would think instead of making a full QD plate on the side if you made only a top to hang it may be easier. then it will be more likely to rotate and set into the mount easier.

I often wonder why some of the attachment plates are such a tight fit left to right. That sure makes it a pain to get lined up perfect to lock into the equipment.

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »
Getting the tractor attached to the plate is relatively easy.  Getting the wooden panel centered perfectly between the two doors is more challenging.
Caveman

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »
We added another light to the hot box.  It does help bring the heat up quite a bit quicker than two lights.  Two lights will maintain the temp around 150.  I would like to seal it up a little tighter as it does have a few leaks.

I opened it up tonight to look at a small stack of maple that I put in there yesterday morning.

This thermometer pic was taken the other day.  Tonight it was 152 after turning of one of the lights several hours earlier.
Caveman

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2019, 07:56:09 AM »
As I finished looking this thread and decided to go feed the furnace I thought of these as an alternative  heat source for a kiln instead of halogen lights.
Its a 450 watt adjustable Trojan Hot Scott heater. Used in livestock waters to keep them thawed in winter. This one is  one that w as retired, when the old  hog fountain waterer started leaking. New drinker has a different heat system.  They are adjustable,  hold up to tough  damp conditions. Not very expensive. Just a quick thought as it was on the shelf in the basement.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter