The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Brandt Ainsworth  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
Brandt Ainsworth
« on: February 27, 2005, 12:47:45 PM »
Got my annual crud, laying on the couch, spinning channels.  Came up on RFD Televison, and was programming a show on animal logging in the winter.  With Brandt Ainsworth doing the animal handling.  Show highlighted horse, mule and Ox logging.  Ainsworth, obviously a yankee, and obviously up north in the snow, put on a pretty informative show on his brand of logging.

My take was a slower, older, and gentler logging than we use in the south.  I last saw animal logging in the 60's down here with an older gent and two oxen.  The oxen and old gent ended up pulling a float each year in the local heritage festival. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Brandt Ainsworth
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 01:59:27 PM »
I think I saw the same program a few months back.That's about the only channel I really watch.There's a fellow about a mile from me that works in the woods with horses.I know there are some with oxens too.Don't know anyone with mules in the state of Maine.Yes,it's a gentler way.But with the prices of wood now adays it's hard to make any decent money.Can't see how a person could support a family,make truck-house payments ect.I always enjoy seeing a horse tralier at a wood landing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline MemphisLogger

• Don't trash that tree . . . TREECYCLE!
    • Share Post
    • Midtown Logging and Lumber Co.
Re: Brandt Ainsworth
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 04:46:43 PM »
Tex,

We've got 3 outfits using Percerons(sp) here in West Tennessee and I have several friends doing it in the Appalachia (NC and AL). A lot of land owners who are managing hardwood for sustained yield prefer to do their select cuts with draft animals for aesthetic, ecological and cultural reasons.

I believe that as a whole, draft horse/mule logging will continue to grow in popularity as woodlots get smaller and/or come under ownership with different objectives (read yuppies).

My local State Park recently needed to get rid of a bunch of Paulownia that was posing invasive problems and the state naturalist would only let them farm the job out commercially if they used horses/miles.

I know them boys was grumblin' as they skidded out past all the 30"+ Walnuts on the way in and out  ;D     
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter