iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with Protimeter Timberlogger

Started by kelLOGg, June 14, 2019, 12:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I don't read of anyone having this moisture meter. It has hammer electrodes and thermocouple attachment which make it easy to make measurements outside the kiln via wires passing thru an access port to the unit outside the kiln. Mine has bit the dust: it reads either 7% MC in any medium or nothing at all. Its made in the UK and I doubt it will be feasible to repair. Any recommendations for a similar replacement? or repair possibilities? or other ideas?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

K-Guy

Hi Bob

The two best brands on the market are Delmhorst or Lignomat.

I recommend the Delmhorst J2000X Package but I am biased as we are a dealer for them. ;D

I've heard good things about the Wagner moisture meters but I'm not familiar enough with them to judge.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Don P

It doesn't sound good but try one thing before writing it off. In the electrical aisle at Lowes get a tube of Ox-Gard and smear the paste on all the connections and try it again.

kelLOGg

"all the connections"? I guess that means where I plug in the electrode wires and the battery connections? BTW, I measured the battery voltage at 5.9 VDC so I'm sure they are good. I burnished the terminals where the batteries make contact so that leaves the electrode receptacle to possibly benefit from Ox-gard. I'll check it out. Thanks
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

Well, well, well, Don P, you put me onto something. I measured the resistance from one of the contacts on the electrode plug to its corresponding electrode. I got about 1 ohm which sounded reasonable. I made the same measurement on the other contact to its corresponding electrode and got infinite resistance - a broken connection. I disassembled the electrode assembly and the wires fell out. It will be delicate soldering but I will attempt it tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Bob

Don P

kelLOGg

IT DID!. Tiny wires but I was able to solder them back and all is well. Hammer electrodes take a beating even though I pre-drill pilot holes.
Thanks.
Bob

Thank You Sponsors!