iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oak

Started by coxy, July 24, 2019, 05:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

In my area of the frozen north, we have northern red oak, northern pin oak, and bur oak. And the pin oak is rare, so things are pretty simple for us up here. I don't know how you guys kee all of those hardwoods straight!
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Due to elevation here the oak changes if I go 10 miles either way of home. Close to 20yrs cutting wood and last yr was the 1st white oak I had ever cut, go down off the mt and they have "rock oak" which is garbage compared to the red oak we have up here in the higher elevations. 

Tarm

Quote from: barbender on July 28, 2019, 09:24:39 PM
In my area of the frozen north, we have northern red oak, northern pin oak, and bur oak. And the pin oak is rare, so things are pretty simple for us up here. I don't know how you guys kee all of those hardwoods straight!
In NE Wisconsin you can add white oak to that list. Northern pin oak is not rare here, there are abundant  stands of it on the sandy outwash soils. The locals call it scrub oak. Makes great firewood and that's about all.

doc henderson

sounds like @Southside  needs a little more fiber in his diet.  We are in the north so will pick up some syrup to put on our pin oak next time I eat some!! and of course with a little Ice! :D 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BradMarks

Bubba woulda said Fried Oak-ra.

Thank You Sponsors!