The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Another build thread... JoshNZ  (Read 14911 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Another build thread... JoshNZ
« Reply #340 on: January 20, 2020, 06:18:05 AM »
That looks great. I never though of doing the hinge like that. Great idea. 

do you really have to modify the cylinder? Can you just offset it and make a leg for it to push like the low profile heavy lifting jacks?

Offline Hoopty5.0

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #341 on: January 20, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »
I really like that extension. Really creative!

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #342 on: January 20, 2020, 01:53:15 PM »
The only direction I could offset it would be down into the log throat. I could cut the foot off the saw beam and put it out further but once again this is encroaching on log capacity and I don't think it'd be that easy of a job either. Would have to remove the beam I'd say.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to reweld cylinder base anyway

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #343 on: January 20, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »
no. just nice to not have to. make sure you keep the seal end cool.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #344 on: January 20, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
The only direction I could offset it would be down into the log throat. I could cut the foot off the saw beam and put it out further but once again this is encroaching on log capacity and I don't think it'd be that easy of a job either. Would have to remove the beam I'd say.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to reweld cylinder base anyway
What is this cylinder for/going to do?  Can you clamp it in place and post a picture of what you are thinking?  Maybe the collective brain-trust here can come up with a different solution to reworking the cylinder.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #345 on: January 20, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »
I'm swapping it out for the orange jack in this picture. Tensions the blade by pushing the sleeve off the end of the beam.

This is the constraint for the cylinder length. I do think reworking the cylinder will be easier than reworking the footing on the beam.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #346 on: January 20, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »
you have more than enough space on top of the beam. Why not just put it up there. Looks to me like you have 1 bracket to cut off and move then make a new one for the other side. Give you more space underneath to.

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #347 on: January 20, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
I agree with crusarius, on top, or at the back. I havent gotten that far and still havent ruled out using threaded rod instead of a porta power and ram. But on top would be the next best choice to keep out of the way of cut throat
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #348 on: January 20, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »
With the force from the band tension already torquing the sleeve clockwise off of the end of the beam (as you look at it in that photo) I worry adding more force to this torque coupling will cause major binding issues. I figured the best place to put the tensioning force was as close to the opposing force as possible hence why it went underneath, directly in line with the wheel axle.

This cylinder is going to be a piece of cake to rework, I'll just cut the top of the cylinder off and rethread the internal section,

The only problem being the spring return... Are these put in place before the cylinder is welded closed or is there a way to disconnect them for resealing? Surely...

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #349 on: January 20, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »
Nevermind, should have twisted it a few more times before giving up its just a threaded rod.

I don't see a big problem here, that top threaded plug isn't even a seal, just a loose fit collar.

So if I part off enough cylinder then rethread for that collar, then lop off the excess rod I should be good to go

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2020, 04:46:16 PM »
jUST keep in mind now you have a custom cylinder. If it fails you cannot just grab one from the local hydraulic shop. You will be stuck till you remachine a new one.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #351 on: January 20, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »
I see it now (said the blind man to the deaf mute...) 

To me, cutting and re-threading would be a no-go, even though I have a lathe.  I'm not that skilled.  Cutting and re-welding the bracket - yes. 

I agree to put it in the same location as the old orange one.  You are worried about your throat depth of cut - I don't think you need to be.  I set up mine do do about a 20" depth. ::)  On a very wide log, the most I've done is 4".  On something around 16-20", I've done 7".  The big 8x12 posts and beams are what's left after you remove the side wood.  I didn't understand that when I designed my mill.  I've since added a support between the hubs and reduced my clearance to 9-10".  I only bumped it once trying to cut a bunch of 2x without removing the stack.  Pretending I'm a professional using a WM!  Redoing the mount and hanging the full cylinder would not be a problem for clearance, IMO.

However, shortening the rod would be a more elegant and lighter weight solution.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Online RAYAR

• Full Member x2
  • Retired May 2/19 more time to play with my mill
    • Share Post
« Reply #352 on: January 20, 2020, 07:42:25 PM »
Is there not a very short ram available?
mobile manual mill (local build) (mods & additions on-going)
Shop built auto band sharpener
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2020, 08:00:07 AM »
Josh, 
Could you not mount it on back side of the beam, and low? It would not eliminate as much anti-tq as where you want to put it, but itd still limit some of it. I mean, its your build, but taking an off the shelf item, heavily modding it now makes that a custom piece and a drastic bit of down town to mod the next 1, if the custom 1 fails for whatever reason. Granted i have seen any of those rams fail, but im positive some have failed. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2020, 11:51:29 AM »
If you look at some of the big manufacturers all they did was use the ram with gauge and have a threaded rod that pushes against the ram (no need of the pump) my build is the same as yours and the ram will be attached to the main beam and the threaded rod (acme tread) will be attached on the "sliding out" part. turning the acme rod will push against the ram to the desired PSI... simple solution with less clutter.     
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2020, 05:07:08 PM »
I've had the modified cylinder holding up the back of the forklift for 12hrs now, no leaks through the welds or seals. I maxed out the lift until the handle just barely went hard then figured I'd know how much leaked past the seals in the morning by how much the handle swung before it went hard again, but it was still hard, so that is good news.

Obviously went a different way from what I was describing but achieved the same result. I've taken quite a bit off the butt of the cylinder because it's a waste, and then parted out a section of the cylinder and rewelded.

One thing I didn't consider was that the spear itself would be hollow. I parted the excess off the lathe and found myself staring down the bore right through the centre of the seal =/.

So I pulled all the seals made a cap for the shaft, switched to Tig to reduce spatter and sealed it up. If I was going to do this all again I'd Tig the whole lot, and I'd use a rotary positioner. I toyed with making one out of the old RA anchor winch driven with a drill, I might still yet. But I got impatient.

Vautour that is an awesome idea. Id prob have done that if I thought of it haha although I don't trust ram seals to seal 100% forever, seen too many weeping rams. You would still need to own a pump though it wouldn't need to live on the mill?

To the ram modding comments, there is a 10mm stroke ram available for about $100, not enough stroke for stretched bands. A 50mm stroke one for nearly $300, which would work but was getting expensive. This one was about $100, online (there is no hydraulic shop that sells rams off the shelf in these parts). I've scoured the internet for other options, this is where I arrived. It was more work than I thought but still much less than a complete teardown and re setup of the carriage to rework the beam. I only want to do that one more time, when I paint it. Of course I could go to the city and ask a hydraulic shop to make what I need but they'd charge me a limb and essentially I'd end up with something like what I've got here.

Honestly I think if this ram fails ill be finished with hydraulic tensioning anyway. I did see a hydraulic pump come up really cheap (nz$30!) I thought a cool way to do this would be to run a pressure regulator between the ram and the pump so it self regulates tension. Then have hydraulic capability too but decided to leave it.

So this ram has a big mortise in the bottom of it (ugly off-centre chattered twist drill Chinese job), I'll weld a tenon on the foot on my mill then it can sit right on there, I might grub screw the base of the ram so it stays put.

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #356 on: January 24, 2020, 02:40:50 AM »

It's a heap easier to deal with than the floor jack, a bit more elegant. I have installed the pump on top, it's nice to have a permanent handle and valve.
I'm hoping I'll be able to get a T connector to put between the hose and cylinder for the gauge to go on, and will do away with the bracket.

I'll probably get that hose shortened and maybe clip it somewhere away from the engine pulley.

Also got my last bunks on. I just need an arm to secure that extension for travel and then I can put it back to work and try things out.

@Crusarius I don't envy your 24ft bed or whatever it is, I don't imagine moving full length cants on this bed alone will be much fun!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #357 on: January 24, 2020, 06:31:12 AM »
:) I know that the 12' logs I have to manually move is definitely a handful. I have found myself using the tractor bucket and chain more often. Definitely makes rolling them easier but challenging to get just right. I need to add a log turner.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #358 on: January 24, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »
I did actually think about loading 2 logs at a time and cutting them together. But then I found that to be to labor intensive trying to keep my cuts straight.

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #359 on: January 24, 2020, 11:10:09 PM »
I'm pretty lucky to have the use of a forklift. Not an ideal tool but sure better than nothing.

I've been looking at this lift motor again, i have a 500W 12V motor that spins about twice the speed, I'd need a ~25:1 reduction to use it. I've come up short on my search for anything reasonably priced, don't suppose anyone knows of something that might work?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
And another sawmill build thread...

Started by ljohnsaw on Sawmills and Milling

112 Replies
Last post October 12, 2019, 08:49:15 PM
by ljohnsaw
xx
The Official VooDooChikin sawmill build thread!

Started by VooDooChikin04 on Sawmills and Milling

144 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 10:44:40 AM
by VooDooChikin04
xx
bugpeople's Butt and pass build thread

Started by bugpeople on Timber Framing/Log construction

37 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
by Jeff
xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff