The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Another build thread... JoshNZ  (Read 15899 times)

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Another build thread... JoshNZ
« Reply #400 on: May 04, 2020, 09:01:58 AM »
Looks good, Josh.

I think a "natural" painter is the result of a lot of experience.  Every time I paint something I learn that there's a lot of distance between me and a real painter.  But getting it protected is the real goal, and if looks good from 25 feet, it's a good job.

That thing would be quite a challenge to paint for me.  Maybe with a rotisserie  I'd stand a chance, but still a challenge.

Did you flip it over to spray the bottom or just deal with it?  

Looks good in the picture, which is what matters!!
HM126

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #401 on: May 04, 2020, 08:06:32 PM »
I sat it up on its side with axle stands and painted half way across the bunks, then flipped it and did the same back the other way.

Does mean it has to be touch dry before I can handle it ~20min with this paint also means no wet edge to continue off.

I get a do over anyway. I needed more paint than I realised and the paint shop had run out of the enamel I was using and talked me into buying enough 2 pot to start again, so I'll key it all and go over with 2 pot. I think I do need the harder wearing stuff, the enamel wasn't going to cut it.

Thanks for the comments all the same =)

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #402 on: May 04, 2020, 09:53:41 PM »
Good plan.
HM126

Offline frazman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #403 on: May 05, 2020, 06:17:36 AM »
Have you thought of painting the underside with a undercoat or rock guard 
of some sort being it will be towed around ?

Offline VooDooChikin04

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #404 on: May 05, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »
I can attest to frazmans thought!  My last dune buggy I built,  was undercoated with hercules roll on truck bed liner as well as all the suspension components. Still holding strong after 6+ years of abuse.  

I have a strong suspicion you won't be doing much offroading with your mill, but who knows ;) 

Offline RAYAR

• Full Member x2
  • Retired May 2/19 more time to play with my mill
    • Share Post
« Reply #405 on: May 05, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »
No need to undercoat. You have to be careful with the type of undercoat you use. Some types that dry like a paint eventually start to lose adhesion and allows moisture to be contained and the metal will corrode very fast afterwards and hidden from view until it starts to fall apart.

Once or twice a year, just take a wire brush in one hand and a spray can in the other and do touch ups. Step back a few feet and it looks great. :)
mobile manual mill (local build) (mods & additions on-going)
Shop built auto band sharpener
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans

Offline VooDooChikin04

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #406 on: May 05, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
@RAYAR  dude good point!  Some undercoating is solevant dissolved plastics which then form a plastic coating. I could totally see loosing adhesion and water collecting.  Awesome! 

Offline RAYAR

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #407 on: May 05, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
@RAYAR  dude good point!  Some undercoating is solevant dissolved plastics which then form a plastic coating. I could totally see loosing adhesion and water collecting.  Awesome!
I looked at a van one time that was undercoated with a brand name undercoating that was all pealing off and there was nothing left of the frame. I don't think this company is around anymore as I haven't seen any advertising from them in a long time. They had a yellow shield for an emblem and their name started with 'Z' ;)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #408 on: May 05, 2020, 02:30:10 PM »
they are still around.

Offline frazman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #409 on: May 05, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »
As I mentioned, just a thought but one has to do some homework.

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #410 on: May 06, 2020, 04:48:28 AM »
I'm not too worried about the underside of it anyway, the odd chip won't worry it too much and it'll need the odd tidy up as mentioned.

I got it all scuffed and the 2 pot on it today. Way nicer to spray and already looks richer and thicker. Glad I bit the bullet. I was worrying I didn't have enough paint but actually when you have 20% catalyst then 20% of that in thinner, you have a lot more product than what's in the can!

Nasty stuff though. I bought a respirator and could still feel my heart racing by the end. Do pro painters use activated carbon or so you need to get your air from somewhere away from spray site 

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #411 on: May 07, 2020, 01:37:58 AM »
Well the 2 pot coat is hands down an improvement. Day 1 of a (up to) 7 day cure and it's already harder than the enamel. Heaps better surface finish.

I'm brushing down everything else now. Awfully painful this phase of a build =/.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #412 on: May 07, 2020, 06:27:11 AM »
Painting is always the worst part!!!!

But in the end its worth it to make it look good.

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #413 on: May 07, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
It took about 2wks for my enamel to dry hard. Im guessing to much moister in the air or their mixing chart is wrong. I mixed well and let sit for a few min before each batch i sprayed and i used 1 measuring cup for paint, 1 for catalyst and 1 for the first batch with thinner. The sec 2 coats i used paint/cat only and sanded each coat with 220 grit. 
But now that stuff is like a dillar shell. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #414 on: May 10, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »
Well that's it for the painting, I could see the finish line in sight yesterday afternoon and couldn't help but leap. Glad to see the end of it! We use these lights under the kiwifruit when harvesting sometimes when we get in the crap, they worked quite well.

Remind me not to paint my next mill if I ever build another xD.

I'm really impressed with the 2 pot caprithane, the saw beam looks as though it'd shatter if you dropped it! It's hard as heck and feels plasticy almost.
The different colours are breaking up the green nicely, I think it should look good. Not that that matters but nice bonus.

All I have now is assembly and setup, I would say I'm counting down the final days but our next bout of harvest is just around the corner so I'd I'll reserve that comment for later

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #415 on: June 17, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »
Well I'm gonna call it finished here xD.

I don't think I'll change much, am finding it a real pleasure to use and it's pretty addictive when it's easy.
But some final thoughts for future home build readers... I wish I'd included a lube tank before finishing. I had blade pitch buildup rear it's ugly head for the first time yesterday and blade dived. I got it free and the pitch buildup was so hard/thick I had to use a razor to clear it. I ended up finishing the job with a spray bottle full of diesel, I could see pitch building up and then a quick squirt and it turns back to smooth shiny steel in a matter of 2-3 seconds, and rollers/blade quietens down significantly. It must soften it enough that it gets dragged off the blade in the cut. So if you're ever going to saw soft/pitch wood, include a dripper setup =/. I might weld an alloy tank and bolt it to it somewhere.

And... The backstop clearance issues I mentioned already. I'll build some inserts to permanently set into the outside pockets which will offset the cant holding toes maybe an inch, to give the guide a bit more room.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy. Thanks for all the advice/thoughts/banter along the way. Hopefully the last of my posts in this topic and more in the today's happy customer thread xD. And none in the did something stupid thread =[]...

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #416 on: June 17, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
This Oldman pine was the first timber off the saw since going back to work. A friend of mine works with smaller stuff a lot so we spat a bunch of that out.

The last of the pine I didn't really know what to do with, I started sawing slabs to take more dimensional stuff with, then thought I'd leave them as slabs, and then decided to cut some thick legs in hopes of a heavy rustic bar type project. I wondered if anyone knows... 150x150mm square posts and 90mm thick slabs, must take years to air dry, several even. Do you just wait or do you use it wet and bolt it so it can't move as it dries?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #417 on: June 18, 2020, 07:08:07 AM »
The backstop clearance issues I mentioned already. I'll build some inserts to permanently set into the outside pockets which will offset the cant holding toes maybe an inch, to give the guide a bit more room.

I made this same mistake! I know better for next time.

Offline RAYAR

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #418 on: June 18, 2020, 03:30:10 PM »
Well I'm gonna call it finished here xD.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

I don't think I'll change much, am finding it a real pleasure to use and it's pretty addictive when it's easy.

And... The backstop clearance issues I mentioned already. I'll build some inserts to permanently set into the outside pockets which will offset the cant holding toes maybe an inch, to give the guide a bit more room.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy. Thanks for all the advice/thoughts/banter along the way.
Nice looking mill you ended up with Josh. There are things that weren't planned just right, but a few mods and you're good to go. Great accomplishment on your part.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #419 on: July 21, 2020, 06:46:32 PM »
Had a great day earlier this week I think this kind of day is exactly why I built this mill. A friend of a friend had two trees hidden in the bush, and when I saw them I figured neither were getting milled. Long story short somehow this guy rustled up 7-8 pairs of hands to come around and inch by inch with a bunch of ropes and strops we hauled these logs out, through dense bush on about a 45 degree bank...

It's called Rimu, not sure if it's endemic but certainly native. Think it's the straightest prettiest stuff I've had on the mill yet. We have a lot of native conifers here that get sold and built with as hardwoods.

Few photos and a little vid below. Bit naughty in the vid I guess, I walked past the sawdust chute, is this a no-no? I've found people watching seem to always stand on that side, I imagine if the blade snapped and the stars were in alignment it could sling it out that gap. Do you stop people standing near the chute?

Anyway, I had a few more woes with the mill - the worst of which I think I am burning up my clutch. It is a 25hp rated clutch and 22hp engine. I let the owner at it after milling the first log and he ended up pushing a bit hard and missed hearing the blade slow down and stall, clutch let out a bit of smoke obviously. It appeared a lot weaker after this. My worry was the engine RPM didn't bog a whole lot, still maybe 2500-3000RPM with no output on the belts.
I'm wondering if you guys think it is up for it, 25hp rating or not. Is there anything I can do to help it? Is snapping open throttle or slowly engaging better for clutch life? I'll get it off and take a look at the shoes.

I had a grub screw back out of one of the lead screw sprockets, so only one shaft was turning which was nearly a disaster too, lots of yelling as the beam went up on one side only. I think I'll go over the mill again with permanent loctite.

How pretty is the timber!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
And another sawmill build thread...

Started by ljohnsaw on Sawmills and Milling

117 Replies
Last post June 26, 2020, 02:15:44 PM
by Tom King
xx
bugpeople's Butt and pass build thread

Started by bugpeople on Timber Framing/Log construction

37 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
by Jeff
xx
The Official VooDooChikin sawmill build thread!

Started by VooDooChikin04 on Sawmills and Milling

158 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 12:17:21 AM
by charles mann
xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff