The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Another build thread... JoshNZ  (Read 20526 times)

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
Re: Another build thread... JoshNZ
« Reply #480 on: October 10, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »
I paid particular attention to the rooster tail today, I can't say it was ever dead straight, usually twitching up and down even when I did get well finished flat boards.

Pulled a couple more logs off the stack, im still trying to establish a routine in my head for where things go and the order they happen in etc. Everything begs more questions.

Pretty happy with the timber I'm pulling off the mill anyway, I'm wasting a lot of sap wood but fine with that, the heart is awesome, and staying straight. I'm excited to get into my flooring run!

One question/s I have, when you guys are chewing through a whack of logs, how many piles/packets are you working on at any one time?
Do you saw everything to specific thicknesses, and build a packet out of each thickness?

I plan to do that but after turning to accommodate board quality or tension, I usually end up with one or two odd balls, and usually an odd dimension box around the heart. What do you do with your odd sized lengths?

Offline Mesquite cutter

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #481 on: October 13, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
How is the single axle holding up?  

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #482 on: October 13, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »
Sorry I remember reading that in your thread, I didn't know if it was directed at me and never came back to it.

Fine, anyway. But my mill is way under its rated weight, it was a 1500kg axle and I think I've arrived at about 800kg. There was def no reason for me to go to a tandem and I think unless you could get the wheels under the bed and clear of your working space, it'd be a pain. One is enough of a pain but I can step over it.

Offline Mesquite cutter

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #483 on: October 14, 2020, 09:05:54 AM »
I am going to try a conversion kit to get the axle under the springs and use shorter trailer jacks.  That should do the trick.  

Offline RAYAR

• Retired May 2/19 more time to play with my mill
    • Share Post
« Reply #484 on: October 14, 2020, 02:30:55 PM »
I am going to try a conversion kit to get the axle under the springs and use shorter trailer jacks.  That should do the trick.  
Just be aware that your wheels may end up too high for your carriage to pass over at minimum sawing height. You just may end up sawing the tops of your tires off if you don't remove the wheels. ;)
mobile manual mill (local build) (mods & additions on-going)
Shop built auto band sharpener
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #485 on: October 14, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
that is a major design flaw on my mill. so when I built the guards they hit the tires first :) otherwise without them its quite possible to rapidly deflate my tires.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #486 on: October 14, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
Was a problem on mine too, I went and bought the lowest profile tires I could find, and smallest rims and had to run the axle under the spring. You get a bit back with your bunks and have some flexibility as to how thick these are.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #487 on: October 14, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
I have torsion axle. I just use the jacks to lift the bed up and the tires hang under the rails.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #488 on: October 21, 2020, 01:34:52 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned it yet but I added these little lugs I guess, to the sides of the log clamps. Little turned conical cylinders with a clearance for a bolt and threaded into the side of the dog to spare the plating finish. They have been great, they bite into the bottom 1/4" of the cant and have made life a lot easier during the last cut.

On that note, I have one clamp that is a total dud and won't bind when torque comes on the tube. Universities should come and study it I think it holds the secret to product free perpetual lubrication  >:( >:( >:(

It worked fine unpainted, so I tried cleaning the paint off, no good, tried primer only, tried epoxy paint and orange peeling so it finished dusty, tried putting it on the lathe and cutting a shallow thread down the length of it, tried beating the tube ends in so it barely slides along on it, tried ovaling them both ways... I'm beaten and thinking about starting again but I don't really know what design feature it has that I'm trying to avoid haha, any time pressure comes on the dog the tube greasily slides. The other two are identical, all made with same dimensions and they work perfectly, never slipped. Anyone using this design discovered the secret?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #489 on: October 21, 2020, 06:05:59 AM »
your sleeve looks to long to me. Not allowing it to twist enough to lock on both ends.

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #490 on: October 21, 2020, 06:13:51 AM »
 I would say that the length of those tubes are way too long and not causing a binding effect.... 1''long and a bigger diameter should work... i've built a machine with 20,000 pull to remove tubes out of boilers using this simple idea.. like that little "washer type device" that keeps a aluminum door open it has to bind... that's were i got my idea.      
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #491 on: October 21, 2020, 06:47:20 AM »
How goes the walnut sawing?  
Liking Walnut

Offline RAYAR

• Retired May 2/19 more time to play with my mill
    • Share Post
« Reply #492 on: October 21, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
I would cut that sliding tube to about half that length. Too short and it'll want to bind up too easily while you're trying to adjust it. A little more clearance around the rod would also help it bind.
mobile manual mill (local build) (mods & additions on-going)
Shop built auto band sharpener
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #493 on: October 23, 2020, 01:29:55 AM »
Yuuuup you guys are right of course, why couldn't I think of that. I'll trim the dud one down and get to the others when I can.

Walnut is going good thanks @nativewolf I'm selling it as fast as I'm cutting it believe it or not, which isn't that fast admittedly - I'm reluctant to pole into it with no particular market in mind, I try to saw a bit then sell a bit gauge interest etc. I've gotten tied up with a guy who has a few kilns in the next city over, so with the mention of dry stuff being available shortly, I'm getting offers for the entire stacks pretty well as soon as it is listed, and enough wanting individual slabs that I'm cleaned out twice over, just as quickly. I've only really been doing slabs so far as it's so easy to sell to the local market, but hard to feel like you're getting anywhere selling 1-2 here and there, I'll be looking forward to seeing if these guys wanting the whole stacks work out.
Also got a few guys wanting me to keep an eye out for fiddleback/burl grained pieces who are paying pretty well, the contractor has left the crotches on most logs and most of them have this here which is nice.

I've sawn a few 2" thick packets for myself, which I'll just leave air drying. I may kiln dry the first one and see if there's interest, would be easy enough to do a dozen cubes and leave them air drying for a nest egg down the road. I'm working out the logs slowly, negotiating the tension, wasting a lot admittedly, lots of planning cuts wasting tapers and bows. Sometimes I think I've got it figured out, the blade exits the cant and nothing moves, like the blade never went through it and I drag a dead straight board off onto the trailer. Then the next one I do exactly the same and get a banana  ???.

Another guy with some machining equipment seems to think he will be able to sell flooring as fast as I can send blanks his way, so I might pursue that avenue as well. Flooring seems like a great sell - being that if you get someone on the hook you're up for a decent sale all at once. The main reason I bought the logs was for my own floor so, the first round at least will be pretty risk free.

I am thoroughly enjoying showing up to my shack, putting a log on the bed and starting, and just leaving when I'm finished. I've come to really hate unpacking and packing the thing for some reason. Numbers aside anyway - I'm having fun, I guess that's what it's all about.

This was the last load I took to the kiln, one of a few more hopefully (logs as payment), bit hard on the poor old ute it's only a diesel 2.8L 4.. Pity the kilns are over the ranges, I'd definitely set one up myself if this was going to be a long term thing.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #494 on: October 30, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
You guys hit the nail on the head with that one. Have halved the base of all three clamps, haven't had one slip since - thanks a bunch.

I'm into the flooring run now, cutting 150x25 blanks, for machining down to 130x19 I think is the plan. I am super excited to get it on the floor, I think it'll be a pretty unique looking place, especially for this little town in this country. I've found pressure washing (from a distance) is best way to clean/remove sawdust, and Ive got some 3 phase fans blowing across the stack which is working great. 2 hours after stacking I've got clean, purple coloured touch dry boards. Any walnut boards I've left damp have stained from mould but I think it will avoid this.

I was having a crap morning last week, got the tractor stuck had logs splitting bla bla wondered why the heck I'm doing this haha. I got my partner to call a flooring company and get a quote to have done what I'm attempting to do, just for kicks. Holy crap.. makes it all worthwhile.

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #495 on: November 01, 2020, 03:07:56 AM »
Woah that's some nice looking boards.....hard work always pays off in the end... good job Josh 8)
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #496 on: November 01, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »
that floor is going to be amazing!!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another mill build thread

Started by jay_d on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post February 06, 2021, 10:19:31 PM
by jay_d
xx
And another sawmill build thread...

Started by ljohnsaw on Sawmills and Milling

120 Replies
Last post January 19, 2021, 10:06:22 AM
by ljohnsaw
xx
bugpeople's Butt and pass build thread

Started by bugpeople on Timber Framing/Log construction

37 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
by Jeff
xx
The Official VooDooChikin sawmill build thread!

Started by VooDooChikin04 on Sawmills and Milling

158 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 12:17:21 AM
by charles mann