The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Wanted: 3 pt logging winch in Western Canada or Northwest USA.  (Read 364 times)

Offline Greaseball

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
I'm looking for a 3 pt logging winch with or without a tractor. I'm just seeing what's out there in BC or AB, Canada or the northwest of the US.

I'm interested in seeing what's out there before I make up my mind on a purchase or decide which size of tractor I go with.

Also interested in firewood processing equipment.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Wanted: 3 pt logging winch in Western Canada or Northwest USA.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 06:43:01 AM »
Is this for your own use? Meaning not making you money? I have a Norse 3pt winch. All brands are just about the same. The Norse has a pivoting butt plate,the only one that does that. Can make it rigid,like the other brands,with 2 pins. It also has a higher lifting pulley.It has boxes for the chains too. A 30 hp tractor will work,I have a 40. But with NH,the 30 is a much smaller tractor,easier to sneak through the woods with,but can't haul as much as my 40hp. That's why I asked you about the money question. My land is a challenge to get around on. That's why I like the butt plates that pivot. I straddle a few rocks and that's way the butt plate does not get me hung up. A 3pt winch is pricey,but I worked mine hard in the woods for 3-4 years with some big pine. I have not replaced anything,but cable.I had it for more than 25 years.If you do get one,make up some short chains,4 foot ones. Most come with 8 foot chains. I got six 8 foot chains with mine. Now I think most brands only have 3. Won't need all 8 foot chains. It's a bother to hook onto a 6 through tree and have 6 feet of chain left over to run through the keyhole. A foot chain is much easier. I should of made them up the first time I used it. I also run 6 slides,chockers,too. Sometimes all 6 are used,sometimes only one is used. All the above is there if needed. Do not pull at a sharp angle,you could roll the tractor over. Watch out for slash when you are winching in.Always lower the winch,set brakes,and if you have a loader,lower that too. I keep a a piece of inch round stock,about 4 feet long on the winch,to use as a pry bar. Yes a peavey would be better,but I need the peavey at the sawmill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wanted - tractor logging winch.

Started by Captain on Wanted

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2006, 09:12:43 PM
by Captain
xx
Going To Western Canada

Started by Stephen1 on Travel Guide

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 10:07:23 AM
by sawguy21