iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1973 Clark Ranger 666 Restoration

Started by Natureswaytreef, August 29, 2019, 11:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natureswaytreef

I'm hoping that with all of the great Forestry people on this site I can share the story behind this great machine and my fathers legacy, When I was 20 years old my father purchased this for me as I had just completed Forestry in college and was managing private timber land for customers in Oregon. With one of the first Mobile Dimension Sawmills produced we set out to thin trees and cut lumber for our customers so they could build homes and shops. My Father has been diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, one of my goals is to completely restore this to new condition so he can see it before he passes.. Here are a few pics as it was sitting for years. My son and I went and serviced it and it started right up. Also I'm hoping maybe someone can stir me in the right direction for parts I may need. Its off to paint and new tires. More pics to come as we progress.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Crusarius

Looking forward to see the progress of this. Welcome.

celliott

Nice looking Clark! I have a 666C that's a bit rougher  than that. Good machine though.
453 Detroit power?

I haven't needed many parts but have gotten a few things from Pete's equipment in Morrisville VT. But that's on the opposite coast from you.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Pine Ridge

Hats off to you for what you are going to do, you will not regret doing this for your dad, wish you the best of luck .
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like all the pieces are there,meaning sheet metal and guards. New tires and paint will make that skidder look like new again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

A-z farmer

Natures way
Welcome to the forum 
Very nice restoration you are doing of the Clark .
Thank you for sharing your pictures on forestry forum ,and I am sure your dad will be happy with you and your sons efforts.
Zeke

florida

I'll bet your Dad would appreciate you spending as much time as you can with him rather than putting new tires on an old machine. Your Dad will be gone soon, the machine can wait. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

hacknchop

Welcome to the forum , looking forward to more posts as you restore the old girl , mine is even older but still does what I need it to do. Hopefully you and your son will have the same sort of memories that you shared  with us about you and your dad.
Often wrong never indoubt

Natureswaytreef

Quote from: florida on August 29, 2019, 09:29:50 PM
I'll bet your Dad would appreciate you spending as much time as you can with him rather than putting new tires on an old machine. Your Dad will be gone soon, the machine can wait.
I am sir, we are spending lots of time and its been great, I have a great support group of friends spearheading this project, Im one lucky guy, Its not taking away from our time together but thanks for the comment.
Mike

Natureswaytreef

Well she is Pressure washed and loaded up and moving to the shop, Also a great friend welded and repaired the corroded battery box
Also the decals have been measured and my graphics guy will replicate them all to original via the computer.

Natureswaytreef

Quote from: celliott on August 29, 2019, 03:39:04 PM
Nice looking Clark! I have a 666C that's a bit rougher  than that. Good machine though.
453 Detroit power?

I haven't needed many parts but have gotten a few things from Pete's equipment in Morrisville VT. But that's on the opposite coast from you.
Great info and thanks for the heads up., I truly appreciate that.

Corley5

The Michigan DNR used to have some 666s equipped with Rome forestry discs and rolling choppers.  6-53 Detroits with Clark autos behind them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

It looks like that was a well treated machine before it was parked, it should turn out great with a little love! Sorry to hear of your dad's cancer, but I'm glad to hear you're all making the most of the situation👍
Too many irons in the fire

Natureswaytreef

The tires are going on, it went good on the removal.  Its a bear but the rims look good.

Natureswaytreef

I thought I would post a few pics of the tires going on, Put on new fuel line and other hoses, fixed the micro lock. 

Natureswaytreef

Heres some pics with the new tire on.

Corley5

I love seeing new forestry tires that I didn't have to buy ;) ;D :) 8) 8) Looking good smiley_clapping popcorn_smiley smiley_thumbsup
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Natureswaytreef

Quote from: Corley5 on September 08, 2019, 09:16:51 AM
I love seeing new forestry tires that I didn't have to buy ;) ;D :) 8) 8) Looking good smiley_clapping popcorn_smiley smiley_thumbsup
I tried to find used tires but had no luck as they wanted to much, So as this skidder will be left to my kids and grandkids in a trust, The tree farm and skidder will never be sold. It will be in the family forever. The skidder has definitely paid for these tires over the years, After searching Clark skidders for sale, I think restoring this will be a good thing.

Natureswaytreef

Well it was a battle but they got them on, One rim was pretty rusty, after using the needle grinder it turned out ok. After seeing them on I'm glad I put new ones on as this skidder has pulled 1000s of loads of logs and deserves it. Its close to paint as I have a few minor things to do.

<b 

Natureswaytreef

These guys are doing a great job. Getting most the hard paint off before sand blasting.  I cant wait till its done. He is putting a aircraft hardener  in the paint.

Natureswaytreef

Andries

WHEW!  Now that's a lot of work!
Is the paint being removed with a wire wheel on a grinder? Why the sandblasting after the grinder work - does it get rid of the grinder marks?
That Ranger is going to be a beauty when it's finished.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Fergy

I also don't understand the sanding before sandblasting?
Too much gear and no idea

Thank You Sponsors!