The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Should I let it dry more  (Read 288 times)

Offline NewSprout008

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Should I let it dry more
« on: August 31, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
Ive recently acquired some ash logs & stump slices. The tree was dropped about 4-5 months ago. Ive got some pieces 8-12 thick and some others thicker(taller). 
Id like to start squaring them up with a router sled but perhaps I should wait. Currently, all end grains are sealed. My friend is a bowl turner and gave me a full gallon. 
Where can I add a photo? 
If that would help....

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
Re: Should I let it dry more
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  When  you get a chance, please make an introductory post.

If you have applied end sealer to your rounds, they are not drying.  Bowl turners totally encapsulate blanks in end sealer so as to keep them green until turned.

When working with rounds or boards, the goal is to have them dry - not keep them green.

Ash shrinks almost 8% tangentially as it dries; accordingly it is difficult to dry w/o having it crack.  There are some products available (namely Pentacryl) that will help prevent cracking, but it is somewhat expensive.

There are other tricks such as stress relieving the bottom side of the round to give the wood cells more room to shrink.

If I were you I'd use your router sled to clean up the ends and get rid of the end sealer. Then go from there.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter