The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Wish I could sell only wholesale  (Read 1216 times)

Offline K-Guy

• Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
Re: Wish I could sell only wholesale
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »
I learned about retail sales from a number of restaurants and lumber yards.

That's why I like dealing with you guys, 95% have good judgement and common sense, the other 5% are from other forums.

Years ago I was working in a lumber yard and a lady came in with the list of materials she had purchased from a list her husband told her to pick up.We prided ourselves on helping the customer pick the best material but she stopped me. She said she wanted the worst boards we had in the yard. I tried to reason with her that he husband would prefer better materials than that. She reply " That SOB complains every time I pick up lumber for him. This time he's going to get just what he complains about. AND none of this is going to be returned!" 

I often wondered what he found to make with that truly awful wood she picked. ;D
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of
 the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

Offline farmfromkansas

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 01:33:28 PM »
When I was young, had a building business.  I bought insurance from a guy, and he talked to me about building a new house, but he said he could not tolerate me making a profit.  So I did not bother to talk to him further, and moved my insurance to a different agent. Some people can not tolerate capitalism.  They should move to cuba.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:17 PM »
I had a guy call yesterday that wanted one fifteen foot ~32" Red Oak log slabbed 1½" with as much live edge as possible.  I told him that I could only saw down to 26",turn it and then saw one live edge.  He was good with that so he asked "how much".  He is about 30 miles away so I quoted $45 for travel and setup.  I then told him that my minimum sawing fee would be $300, but that I would do his for $200.  Long pause and then he said that maybe he would get back with me.  ::)  I have no idea what he expected.  smiley_headscratch

If he calls back, the fee is now $300.  Didn't want to do it anyway.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
   I typically tell folks my minimum fee to travel is $300 plus $1/mile one way one time and that includes the first 1,000 bf since my sawing rate is normally $.30/bf. If he wants to bring me the log I have no minimum and no travel. That log looks like it should yield about 720 bf if I read the rule right (and the 32" is SED) so that would cost him about $230 for sawing and WV tax (6%) if he brought it to me or about $350 (Sawing, travel & Tax) if I came to his place. I'd really rather not handle a log that big at my place and, for customers I liked, I have waived my minimum and travel for folks with logs bigger than I wanted to saw here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wholesale pricing on poplar?

Started by Delawhere Jack on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 05:06:22 PM
by Delawhere Jack
xx
Wholesale Lumber  Solutions

Started by jakejack on Timber Framing/Log construction

0 Replies
Last post June 03, 2004, 03:41:00 AM
by jakejack
xx
Selling wholesale to woodworking stores?

Started by schwanee on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2017, 08:08:06 PM
by ozarkgem
xx
Looking for Lumber Wholesale Price Sheets

Started by FeltzE on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2003, 07:15:22 AM
by FeltzE