iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with tree ID

Started by davealden43, September 11, 2019, 09:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davealden43

Hello,

New to this site and relatively new to becoming a tree nerd. I've really been surprised at how difficult tree ID is. Like, sure, I can say "oak" or "maple" but there are so many types of oaks and maples and then there are so many other trees I've never even heard of, but I've walked, run, or ridden past countless times. Anyway, I've got my tree ID field guides and I've been working on identifying the trees in my neighborhood and I've got one that's really got me baffled. I'm in eastern Massachusetts and this is along one of the streets around the corner from me. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Texas Ranger

The place to start would be:  Where are you?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DelawhereJoe

He says he is in eastern Massachusetts but it looks like the tree is an ornamental so it could be native to anywhere. What color flowers does the tree have in spring\ summer ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

davealden43

I don't recall what the flowers look like. Sadly, this is one of those situations where I've walked by the tree literally hundreds of times and never really paid attention to it...

Don P

The best I could come up with was some foreign catalpa beside a nuke plant :D

ESFted

Might be Japanese tree lilac...syringa reticulata.

Look at about the 4:30 minute mark.
Syringa Reticulata - YouTube
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Don P

Thank You Sponsors!