The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Bike trip 2019  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
Re: Bike trip 2019
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »
Are you shipping luggage from one hotel to the next?

;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 04:08:22 PM »
Another great ride on the books! South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.
Taking a page from Weekend Sawyers book I shipped the bike so the actual riding started and ended in Rapid City.
We rode 14 days, 2300 miles staging out of Deadwood, Red Lodge, Cody and Jackson Hole for multiple days of local riding. Spent single nights in Thermopopolis Wy, and Custer SD.
First week was t-shirts. Second week was Chilly! The last big ride across Wyoming was Cold rain, real windy and snow flurries up on the higher elevations. We stopped for gas and the gas station attendant asked me where I was headed and what route. When I told him over the range he advised me to turn around as the pass was going to be closed for snow. We took his advise adding a couple hours to the trip but that night sure enough it was on the news that they had closed the pass.

What a beautiful country we have!.

Yellowstone Canyon

The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »
Congrats on a successful and eye filling trip!!   Thanks for sharing a small part of the adventure with us.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online muggs

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Hardins industries
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
I love travel pics. I need to hit the road. 8)

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2019, 10:16:35 PM »
You found the big spud!
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 05:59:12 AM »
Nice pictures!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
That last picture is a snowplow that was made from a track. They welded a quick connect off a bobcat on it.
Talking to the owner he says the snow there is light and fluffy so it works well. Where I'm from originally in central NY the snow is wet and heavy due to lake effect and probably wouldn't work well.

Saw several real cowboys. Most all of them wore a straight bladed knife in a back handed draw sheath. Anyone know why? I've never seen that before.

The picture of that old Harley Shovelhead all wire tied together was sort of a funny story. We saw the bike broke down on the side of the interstate in the middle of BFE. Of course we stopped. Oil was pretty much just pouring out of the motor as there was a big puddle underneath I figured he's blown the motor, nope He'd run out of gas. Owner had just got out of prison and was riding to his first job since. We were just getting ready to go find him some when the other bike pulled over. That guy had suitcases strapped to just about everywhere he could on his bike as you can see. He asked need anything? We said some gas. He had a 2 gallon jug full in one of the suitcases. What's the chance of that?
Anyway, his story was he had lost his house and everything he owned was on that bike. He was just riding the country camping off back roads and had been doing it for 8 months so far.
Offered us some fresh caught cutthroat trout which I declined and off he went.

Our favorite town we visited was Red Lodge Montana. Sue Ann described it as where the Hippys and the Cowboys live. Least favorite was Jackson, Wyoming. Expensive and snooty although the Tetons were beautiful!
The Firearms museum in Cody was amazing!

Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy, Big Horn and Wind River range,  Themopolpolis and Snake river gorge were our favorite rides although the were all good except the long cold ride back across Wyoming in the rain and snow.

Yellowstone was sort of a let down as there seemed to be more dead trees than live ones. Ranger said it was due to pine bore beetles.

There was a pretty good sized forest fire outside Cody that caused a lot of smoke in the area.
I love walleye but can't get it here in Florida. Turns out it's South Dakotas stae fish so I ate a bunch of it!

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »
Great looking places you visited, love the pictures!  When I saw the broken down bike I wondered whose it was, figured not yours.   Pack mule was what came to mind when I saw the bike with all the luggage strapped to it.

Thanks for sharing! Glad the trip was a safe one.  Oh, the food looks fantastic!

Offline RPF2509

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2019, 11:53:22 AM »
The back handed draw is probably to avoid the knife getting in the way of the seatbelt buckle.  Not all cowboys ride horses these days and most of them are in a pickup with lots of driving.  I know my knife gets to digging in my side after a few hours bouncing in the truck if its on my right.  I might have to switch and try that backhand method out.  A fixed blade can be drawn and used while the other hand is busy hanging on to something.  No need to let go to open a folder.  Plus a fixed is just stronger than any folder.  Mostly I carry a leatherman in my leg tool pocket.  A bandanna stuffed alongside keeps it there.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2019, 02:26:12 PM »
That knife sheath is called 'horizontal side' carry.  If you're on a horse, you don't want to be trying to wrench a knife out of your jean pockets, and a vertical sheath banging into your leg or saddle. 

It's just more comfortable. 

Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
I figured it was something to do with horses. I was thinking it was so they could wear chaps.That guy in the picture had 2 saddled in a trailer and was wearing spurs. He and his buddy looked like they'd just come from the range.

Funny we did see a lot of "pick up" cowboys but we also saw a cattle drive with all the cowboys on horseback. Can't see them in this picture but these guys were herding at least 200-300 head

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks for the stories. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline blackfoot griz

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2019, 11:29:17 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed Red Lodge. The Beartooth hwy can be unpredictable, but it is amazing weather permitting. The Beartooth and Going to the Sun in Glacier are my two favorite rides in MT.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2019, 06:18:10 AM »
That's also a very good picture of Crazy Horse Mountain.  They finally have a recognizable face now.

The food looks wonderful.  My favorite would be the side of baked beans.  Those beans need a wedge of my cornbread and some 'reverse roll quartersawn' raw onions.  

Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2019, 08:02:13 AM »
That's also a very good picture of Crazy Horse Mountain.  They finally have a recognizable face now.

The food looks wonderful.  My favorite would be the side of baked beans.  Those beans need a wedge of my cornbread and some 'reverse roll quartersawn' raw onions.  
I'm a bean eater.. The baked or BBQ beans we had were different than what we are used to. Different spices and style of cooking. All good though as I ate my share, just ask Sue Ann.lol
I'm glad you enjoyed Red Lodge. The Beartooth hwy can be unpredictable, but it is amazing weather permitting. The Beartooth and Going to the Sun in Glacier are my two favorite rides in MT.
You guys have some great riding! Here in Florida we ride year round but it's all flat and boring.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bike Trip 08'

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on General Board

39 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 12:24:54 PM
by SamB
xx
Bike Trip 09'

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on General Board

51 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 05:32:46 PM
by Raider Bill