The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Trailer preference for hauling firewood  (Read 2172 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Trailer preference for hauling firewood
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
the axles are made with slight bow as you prob. know. looks about 4 x 8.  you can look up the weight of a cord of wet wood by species.  for now as a homeowner, at least you got a start.  and you car has some weight to it to help control that trailer when full.   ;)
the totes are the same as a typical pallet at the base.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »
Back in the 80's a guy I met looking for a place to cut wood starting coming out to my farm and we became friends. He didn't have a pickup or splitter at first hauled wood in a 70's ford station wagon at first. I had a pickup box trailer that I had pulled the box and put a frame under the box with hinges and had a hand winch with a gin poll on the front so it would dump. I traded him that trailer for some labor that year during harvest. He pulled that trailer for years with that car not fast but it worked. Later he bought a pickup from me and I was just down to his place in ILL last weekend from their 50 wedding party and he still has that trailer and still using it to haul wood. 

Offline woody_88

• If it can be done, it can be re-done
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2019, 01:52:25 PM »
Thats a great story hedgerow! Hard work and opportunity enabled his success. 

Ill take a gander online at wet wood weights, maple is VERY common in my parts. Along with ash. More ideas on hauling firewood Doc, love it!

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
M101A2 trailers also make a good setup with some modifications.  They can be made to dump manually by pulling a couple pins, setting the brakes, and backing up.  They do have surge brakes.  Unlike the earlier versions, they take a 3/4 ton 8 lug wheel and tire.  Can be had for well under $1k.

However, the deck is quite tall, relatively speaking.  As tall or taller than most stock 4x4 truck beds.  If you are getting large rounds without equipment, it would be a challenge.  Though a winch or something could be rigged.  

I've had one, liked it, and would kind of like to get one again.  

For firewood though, I'd rather pull rounds off the trailer straight to the splitter rather than dumping them and picking them up off the ground.  That's why we have so many of the truck bed trailers on the farm.  Wood generally goes from forest to trailer (cut and split where it falls) and then from trailer to stove.  Very little handling.
In the long run, you make your own luck good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Offline woody_88

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »
To speak on deck height and large logs, I was able to get a line of some very large and long maple logs fresh cut. These puppies are every bit 18 dia and some 6 long. The low deck height made it possible for me to swing over one end at a time, and set one on top to lift the other up and on top. Any taller of a trailer/deck/bed and would not have worked. 

Tkehl, the last load or two Ive brought home I had the opportunity to split as I unloaded and that is DEFINITELY the way to go!

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 07:47:55 PM »
when I started, I had the 18 foot car trailer and the logs cut to length.  they would set on the trailer till I could split them.  backed the trailer up to the splitter of vise versa and roll/work off the back.  I have now made a sloped work table so someone can stage logs on there and they roll to the splitter, of if they have a knot, I just got a Logrite 36"pickaroon to grab them to get them rolling.  made a conveyor to drop stuff into the bins.  that has been a 15 year process.  take your time and keep your eyes open for great deals!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
A hookaroon is great for pulling firewood off a trailer to.  That and the "claw" single handed timber tongs were two of my best $50 purchases ever.  My back thanks me very much!   ;D

For long ones, a frame can be made to lift them onto a car trailer with a winch.  Search for the DanG/Deadheader log loader.  I've been planning to build one for a while.  Just got the steel at the last auction, now I need a winch...  (Should have bought a winch years ago, but could only afford better come alongs, then rachet chains, but it is power winch time now.  LOL)
In the long run, you make your own luck good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Offline Arctiva

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »
This year I bought a skidloader and hauled 6 heaping 7x14 dump trailer I (borrowed) 6 foot long and 36"+ logs in. The Wood site my city has for us to scavenge wood at had a ton of BIG old logs that no one could handle till me LOL I also (borrowed) a log splitter and been splitting all summer time permitting. Next year I will be purchasing a dump trailer and skidloader splitter. Last year I did a pickup load at a time for way to many weekends and split with a axe or muscled big rounds into the owb. By March I could barely use my left arm from golf or tennis elbow, it still hurts and in a month  I'll have the burner going. 

Offline woody_88

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »
Alright so Ive been renting these uhaul utility trailers when my wood source has a ton of wood avail. These are the 6x12 with a ramp, and I have to say, I really enjoy using it. They have a ton of great features so it makes me think this size and style is the way to go. Its a double axle with brakes (surge) and I really like that. Especially since most of the wood I get is in urban areas with a lot of lights and traffic. Its been said before that us folks in the metro Detroit area are a bunch of hotheaded Frijoles on the road!! More so that it has brakes not necessarily that style. The sides are 3-4 so I can really pack tons (literally) of wood in there.

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »
Any trailer that doesn't require unloading by hand, one piece at a time would be my preference.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Wood Shed

• Retired antique tractor guy enjoying my Tree Farm
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2019, 11:09:55 AM »
I use this small dump trailer in the woods, great for getting in and out of tight places.  Rated for 2 tons, I can not over load it with firewood.  Not made for road travel but that is what my PJ dump trailer is for.  Made by Country Manufacturing in Frederick Town OH. , acquired several years ago new for less than $1000. 

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. -Greek Proverb

Offline BobbyG

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2019, 07:41:42 AM »
I built my own trailer with a 3,500 pound capacity...

Offline upnut

• Full Member x2
  • Wood Tick
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
I picked this trailer up a few days ago to use for firewood behind the Bota-Bug. It will also see road duty behind my old Ford Ranger cleaning up rubbish and scrap metal on a piece of property I just acquired....

The feature I really like....

The dealer called it the Baby-Dump. Now all i need is a rubber baby dump bumper for a bota-bug with a beaver step front bumper.... :laugh:....sigh

Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
my ATV log hauling trailer!

Started by gav0994 on Forestry and Logging

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 04:30:07 PM
by Woodhog
xx
Log hauling trailer idea

Started by DKinWA on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 11:59:54 PM
by DanG
xx
Trailer for Hauling Lumber

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

38 Replies
Last post April 10, 2017, 11:49:28 AM
by Sixacresand
xx
The perfect log-hauling trailer (for me)

Started by Hokiemill on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2004, 08:09:12 PM
by oldsaw