The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Do I NEED to get rid of feral hogs?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Do I NEED to get rid of feral hogs?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 08:59:29 AM »
GA DNR has been pushing the eliminate them. I just hope people are using the meat and not wasting.
There are MANY guys around here who shoot hogs and let them rot. I've had people tell me they are no good to eat and I've had others tell me they are delicious wild game. I would think the latter is true, other than maybe a boar. I know I have eaten it at cookouts and it's great. I don't like to see waste and they sure do it; I don't care for indiscriminate killing for any reason. Too many people around here love to see things die. It's quite the sport to kill hogs here. It's like the more bullets flying, the better. Injured hogs left to suffer, no problem, who cares.

Offline Okefenokee_D

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 08:59:26 PM »
GA DNR has been pushing the eliminate them. I just hope people are using the meat and not wasting.
There are MANY guys around here who shoot hogs and let them rot. I've had people tell me they are no good to eat and I've had others tell me they are delicious wild game. I would think the latter is true, other than maybe a boar. I know I have eaten it at cookouts and it's great. I don't like to see waste and they sure do it; I don't care for indiscriminate killing for any reason. Too many people around here love to see things die. It's quite the sport to kill hogs here. It's like the more bullets flying, the better. Injured hogs left to suffer, no problem, who cares.

People who kill these animals just to kill them and not eat them or try to salavage what meat they can...need to be fed to the hogs.

I have no respect for a human who doesn't show respect to one of God's creatures.

I am to the point in my life that I would have more compassion for an animal than most humans. God forgive me. But I lose faith in the human race each and every day.

Seems like hunting now is nothing but to fill people's egos.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »
Hogs are disease ridden, and processing can be a real chore.  Meanwhile, they are a destructive element that are not native.  It kills anything small enough to run down, tears up fields, destroys plantations, and will attack anything that irritates them.

I have seen the destruction, and as far as I am concerned, any method to rid the area of them is acceptable.  The state is considering poison bait, hunters cannot slow them down, they double in population in a years time or less.  They have moved into urban areas in south Texas, the folks think feeding the little "piggies" is fun, until they kill the cat, tear up the lawn, and run the kids out of the yard.  Attitudes change in view of the damages.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Dakota

• Swing'en in South Dakota
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »
Well said.  @Texas Ranger 
Dave Rinker

Offline Okefenokee_D

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »
Hogs are disease ridden, and processing can be a real chore.  Meanwhile, they are a destructive element that are not native.  It kills anything small enough to run down, tears up fields, destroys plantations, and will attack anything that irritates them.

I have seen the destruction, and as far as I am concerned, any method to rid the area of them is acceptable.  The state is considering poison bait, hunters cannot slow them down, they double in population in a years time or less.  They have moved into urban areas in south Texas, the folks think feeding the little "piggies" is fun, until they kill the cat, tear up the lawn, and run the kids out of the yard.  Attitudes change in view of the damages.

If hogs are disease ridden then why do you eat sausage? Unless you're a Jew or Muslim. Why has many civilization survived on hogs?

Wild hogs can be eaten...many people do it. The people that don't do it aren't hungry or lazy.

Kill a boar..snip the balls off before it gives it the wild taste.

If they do poison..they are morons...like the majority of humanity already is. Many scavangers eat dead animals...poison that pig and your scavangers including your pets will be poisoned too.

Insurance companies wouldnt mind if deer get exterminated.

I have seen destruction of what they do as well, but us humans have done far more damage than any animal has to this planet. Have we started sterilizing humans especially in this country? Nope, but we need to.

Our farmer had a hog issue on our farm...he killed them. Hope they ate them. The population needs to be controlled, but you will never get rid of them all and even then they don't need to be completely wiped out. It is another extra source of food in case this country ever decides to crumble.

I despise a person who waste an animal they killed. Some stupid waste of life dumped a whole load of hogs on my farm...no meat or anything was taken. 

That day put more anger into me against people than ever before.

If they couldn't care about how they dispose of those creatures without using them..I see them doing the same thing to a human being. No care for life.

Animals have a mind to survive. They don't have the mind like a human.

Anyways, enough of my rant/opinion.

I know deer will eat the buds off of new growth. Be it deer or hog. The problem needs to be solved. You can shoot a few and see if it rids them of coming around as much.

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:46 AM »
I too have become much more compassionate as life has happened and do quite a bit to provide for wildlife on our farm, ironically my wife and I were just talking about what that cost us this year when I let a field grow over due to the multiple quail that had decided to nest in it late spring, anyway when it gets to a point that my livestock is going to suffer or I will loose income to the point it endangers my capacity to care for my family then it's time to do what is necessary and I have no issue with removing any threat.

There are groups now that are actively introducing wolves into areas and others who think mountain lions and the suburbs can co-exist.

Thankfully our predacesors were smarter than than and removed apex predators. At some point a line needs to be drawn. Look at the Python issue in Florida as an example of inaction. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
Hogs are disease ridden, and processing can be a real chore.  Meanwhile, they are a destructive element that are not native.  It kills anything small enough to run down, tears up fields, destroys plantations, and will attack anything that irritates them.

I have seen the destruction, and as far as I am concerned, any method to rid the area of them is acceptable.  The state is considering poison bait, hunters cannot slow them down, they double in population in a years time or less.  They have moved into urban areas in south Texas, the folks think feeding the little "piggies" is fun, until they kill the cat, tear up the lawn, and run the kids out of the yard.  Attitudes change in view of the damages.
Sir, your "position" is the norm in the deep south. I stand by my original post and disagree with your "any method to rid the area of them is acceptable." I know hogs are a pest for sure but as for me, killing for fun is wrong. The wildlife experts should come up with a safe solution.

One more time, countless "hunters" around here gun them down for sport and have zero concern for the animals. Injured hogs? Hahahahahahaha! Same can be said for coyotes and cats. Even birds of prey. Countless "hunters" around here shoot anything that moves. Beautiful bobcat? Shoot it so you can just look at it, dead. Or mount it. What's wrong with a photo? Beautiful fox? Shoot it! Trigger-happy "hunters," it's all about guns and killing stuff. Yeah, real fun. I understand hunting and the joy of being in the outdoors. But I gave up hunting over 30 years ago. I just got tired of killing things. Why? What's the point? My opinion is that no animal should be killed if it's not eaten. Crows? Shoot the 8!@#%^&*! Ain't it fun to see them fall from the sky!

These are real men! And now, they're indoctrinating YOUNG kids to hunt. I started hunting at 11. Now, five and six year old kids are shooting deer. That's neat-o' wrong. Why not just let a kid be a kid? "Oh, I'm raising him up right" does not need to include having little kids shoot deer. And you can bet deer are injured by having unskilled shooters pull the trigger. Killing animals does not turn a kid into a good person. 2019 humans get on my nerves; I'd rather be out in the woods. With no gun.
~~~
Bill

Offline Okefenokee_D

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
I too have become much more compassionate as life has happened and do quite a bit to provide for wildlife on our farm, ironically my wife and I were just talking about what that cost us this year when I let a field grow over due to the multiple quail that had decided to nest in it late spring, anyway when it gets to a point that my livestock is going to suffer or I will loose income to the point it endangers my capacity to care for my family then it's time to do what is necessary and I have no issue with removing any threat.

There are groups now that are actively introducing wolves into areas and others who think mountain lions and the suburbs can co-exist.

Thankfully our predacesors were smarter than than and removed apex predators. At some point a line needs to be drawn. Look at the Python issue in Florida as an example of inaction.

There needs to balance in the animal kingdom. We can't just remove predators completely.

People hunted the Red Wolf nearly to extinction here in the Southeast and now the Coyote has made its way out of its Native Southwest US to over here. The Red Wolf kept it out of the area.

Now, I had one of our farmers say that there are too many deer while our hunters say there isn't many deer.

The deer population in my area was nearly wiped out...not because of a coyote...but because of overhunting them. Now they are making a come back. But everyone doesn't hunt and those that do, don't take a lot due to regulations (which need to be in place). But thats where predators come in hand..and most times the predator doesn't even get a kill.

The python issue as well as hog issue was introduced by humans. Can't blame the animal. Blame the stupid people who decided to buy exotic pets and release them or the Spanish who let out the hogs

I wish people would understand about keeping a balance in the world. If we did, then we wouldn't have all these problems.

Another thing too, wolves and some coyotes would love to eat hogs. See..predators are needed.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
 The python issue as well as hog issue was introduced by humans. Can't blame the animal. Blame the stupid people who decided to buy exotic pets and release them or the Spanish who let out the hogs 

If an arsonist sets your house on fire, are we going to focus on blame and let the house just burn down?
HM126

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2019, 02:23:07 PM »
I have said my piece, and stand by it, and am through with this conversation.  Obviously some folks have never had their land destroyed by hogs, or native species destroyed by hogs or snakes that are not native.  I class them with ash borers, fire ants and the beetles that destroyed the elms.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Okefenokee_D

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »
I have said my piece, and stand by it, and am through with this conversation.  Obviously some folks have never had their land destroyed by hogs, or native species destroyed by hogs or snakes that are not native.  I class them with ash borers, fire ants and the beetles that destroyed the elms.
I have farm land that has been destroyed here and there. We just got hogs back on the property since it has been dry and they were looking for water.

Yes, they need to be controlled, but they don't need to be exterminated and not wasted. That is my point. People who blow them up with tannerite need to be sterilized and hung up side down.

But guess what, everything still exist. Trees still come up, crops still get planted.

The issue is people also are going more into the woods to build their homes. They see a wild animal in their yard then..they go insane. Are you serious?

Offline Okefenokee_D

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »

If an arsonist sets your house on fire, are we going to focus on blame and let the house just burn down?

Throw the arsonist into the fire. Problem solved.

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Feral hogs are NOT sick or diseased unless its by human intervention. Iv been eating feral hogs for many many yrs and even after running them with dogs and catching a boar, if we cant take it alive, i would soak the meat for 4-5 days in a salt and lemon juice brine to help pull the game out of the meat. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Feral Hogs

Started by Ron Scott on The Outdoor Board

155 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 06:48:40 PM
by WildDog
xx
Bear and non feral Hogs

Started by Stan on The Outdoor Board

5 Replies
Last post November 19, 2003, 05:13:37 AM
by Stan