The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Lots of ~30-35" x 80-100' Quaking Aspen, what to do with it?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline kiamori

• Live to love, love to live.
    • Share Post
Re: Lots of ~30-35" x 80-100' Quaking Aspen, what to do with it?
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2020, 01:35:15 PM »
Thank you for checking in again i really enjoyed your description of your property and the timber on it and look forward to reading more info on how your maple sugar operation is doing.Please tell us more about your sawmill and support equipment.
Actually only did partial year of maple this year but we're working on putting some mainline in and doing about 500 taps for spring 2021.
I have a swingblade semi-portable mill 38hp kohler engine. Also has a slabber(large chainsaw) attachment.

If I had a nice stand of aspen that like that I'd build a new house and shop with them. I'd use them for framing, sheathing, and interior paneling. 

Of course I say that as someone who doesn't have softwoods available for framing lumber. If I had a bunch of pine or if I didn't want to build a new house and shop I'm not quite sure what I'd do with them. I'd probably saw them into 1x and then move them around for the next 30 years. 

Maybe I missed it but is skidding them out during the winter an option to keep from compacting the ground? 

Since I was a kid your area has been where I go when I go to northern MN. The more I explore it the more I like it. I was just there a few weeks ago introducing an 8 year old boy I mentor to canoe tripping on the Big Fork. 

I've gone on canoe trips in Northern Canada where black spruce dominates and doesn't get much over 5" diameter in most places. Then I'll portage around a rapid and where the river overflows during floods and leaves a deposit of soil (rest of the area is mainly rock) there will be pockets of huge aspen trees. They're probably not as big as yours but after looking at stunted black spruce for 2 weeks they seem like it. 

Alan
So my plan for the aspen right now is new coop, wood shed, sugar shack and some fence posts which should keep me busy for a while. I've been burning them similar to Japanese 'Shou Sugi Ban' method to help prevent rot and if it works well I might build something more useful with the rest later. I'm afraid if I don't just use it I'll be moving it around for another 30 years as well.
I have no problems moving it around in the winter, its actually much easier since my SW48 is tracked, has a V-plow that goes through snow without an issue and no bugs, mud or brush to deal with.

Offline mart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2020, 10:50:13 AM »
We dont have much of a variety of hardwoods in Alaska. We do have quaking aspen and cottonwood. Ive been cutting a fair amount of it for lumber and beams. Ive done some T&G paneling for cabins, trailer decking, rig mats, roof sheathing and it does alright as siding if it is painted and the building has a decent overhang. Ive even used it for cabinets in my shop. I like cottonwood and will continue to use it. 

We have a lot of beetle kill spruce right now but it seems to rot faster than the loggers can get it cut. If its been dead a couple years there is a lot of waste to get to what solid lumber is left in the log in a lot of cases. A friend made the comment last week that it looks like cottonwood/aspen is going to be the new spruce in dimensional lumber in our area. 
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450
Stihl 051

Offline kiamori

• Live to love, love to live.
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
We dont have much of a variety of hardwoods in Alaska. We do have quaking aspen and cottonwood. Ive been cutting a fair amount of it for lumber and beams. Ive done some T&G paneling for cabins, trailer decking, rig mats, roof sheathing and it does alright as siding if it is painted and the building has a decent overhang. Ive even used it for cabinets in my shop. I like cottonwood and will continue to use it.

We have a lot of beetle kill spruce right now but it seems to rot faster than the loggers can get it cut. If its been dead a couple years there is a lot of waste to get to what solid lumber is left in the log in a lot of cases. A friend made the comment last week that it looks like cottonwood/aspen is going to be the new spruce in dimensional lumber in our area.
Not a lot of beetles here but the ants usually eat the aspen from the inside before they start to rot, a lot of times the ones that fall are full of carpenter ants and partially hollow but I can still get 2x4's and 2x6's out of the rest of it. We do have a ton of pileated woodpeckers that shred any of the pine trees with bugs.

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »
Sounds like your aspen can be used for a lot of building components as long as it is moisture  protected. Another use could be raised organic flower/garden beds, would not last as long as cedar or oak, but organic (not treated) seems to be preferred in parts of the country. 

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2020, 09:38:08 AM »

The ants only eat the inside, once it has started to rot. The do not eat good wood. They nest in soft rotten wood because it is easy for them.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Quaking Aspen

Started by Mikeysmill on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2006, 09:50:51 AM
by logwalker
xx
Quaking Aspen

Started by GAV64 on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2003, 11:19:29 AM
by ronwood