iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My moment of insanity... bought a Husqvarna 390xp

Started by ManjiSann, September 19, 2019, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

Ain't nothin' in the end. Just keep up with your good attitude, and you should have a solid runner when you're done. You may or may not have an amazing deal when it's all over with, but that's ok. Like you said, you're gaining knowledge, and experience. If it doesn't pay off now, it will later. It's like spending money on school. At the time, it's only a cash drain, but you usually get it back+ at a later date.

Nebraska

The soldering iron welding idea may work if the expoxy fails to, I've messed around with welding the plastic fenders on a four wheeler, duck decoys, couple other misc things. It takes patience  and I would practice on something else before I tried the tank. I'm not good at it I just tried it and proved to myself you could do it if needed... 

barbender

My Jonsered 2171 is leaking the same way, and I haven't disassembled it yet to look it over- I didn't even want to know😁 I suspect mine will be the same issue. I didn't figure it was my fuel line because it only leaks when I fill it above 3/4 tank. I bought a soldering iron type plastic welder to repair the fenders on my dually pickup (the woods are hard on dually fenders🙄😁) I got some plastic rod and stainless steel mesh in a kit and it seems to make a strong repair. I've been looking for something else to try it on...I think if you could figure out what kind plastic the tank is made out of, you could get some filler rod for it of the same type. That's your best chance of a permanent repair.
Too many irons in the fire

ManjiSann

Quote from: lxskllr on October 08, 2019, 07:25:21 PM
Ain't nothin' in the end. Just keep up with your good attitude, and you should have a solid runner when you're done. You may or may not have an amazing deal when it's all over with, but that's ok. Like you said, you're gaining knowledge, and experience. If it doesn't pay off now, it will later. It's like spending money on school. At the time, it's only a cash drain, but you usually get it back+ at a later date.
I like the spin on this, it's just tuition  :) :) I often lose the big picture perspective on things and let the little details get me down so it's good to be reminded as you say "Ain't nothin' in the end."

Brandon
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on October 08, 2019, 11:05:02 PM
The soldering iron welding idea may work if the expoxy fails to, I've messed around with welding the plastic fenders on a four wheeler, duck decoys, couple other misc things. It takes patience  and I would practice on something else before I tried the tank. I'm not good at it I just tried it and proved to myself you could do it if needed...
That is 90% of what I do, I'm not good at it but can do it when needed  8) 8)
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: barbender on October 09, 2019, 12:07:04 AM
My Jonsered 2171 is leaking the same way, and I haven't disassembled it yet to look it over- I didn't even want to know😁 I suspect mine will be the same issue. I didn't figure it was my fuel line because it only leaks when I fill it above 3/4 tank. I bought a soldering iron type plastic welder to repair the fenders on my dually pickup (the woods are hard on dually fenders🙄😁) I got some plastic rod and stainless steel mesh in a kit and it seems to make a strong repair. I've been looking for something else to try it on...I think if you could figure out what kind plastic the tank is made out of, you could get some filler rod for it of the same type. That's your best chance of a permanent repair.
I hope yours isn't the same issue, fingers crossed it's something easier  :) :)  I was trying to be optimistic when I was looking for the issue as in my mind the crack in the tank was a worst case scenario.

I've read somewhere that the tanks are HDPE, I think the same thing a lot of food cutting boards are made out of but not certain of either of those statements. 

Thanks all for the positive thoughts. I'm stubborn enough that I'd have tried it even if everyone said it was doomed to failure BUT the positivity gives a sort of strength and optimism which I very much appreciate!

If the epoxy I just applied fails I may buy a cheap cutting board and try my hand at plastic welding with a soldering iron. If I can get good at it I'll try sealing the crack and building up the corner area into more of an arc and less of a 90 degree angle as my understanding of engineering is sharp corners are more prone to failure due to concentrated stresses. 

I know I've already said this but while I'm not happy about the expense, even if viewed as tuition  ;), I have learned a LOT about how this saw works and is put together which can only be a good thing. Anyhow, thanks again for the positive words of encouragement, they really are appreciated!

According to tracking the knee joint pin should be delivered tonight, I'm guessing tomorrow at the latest. I'm hoping that once it's installed the chain brake will work and I can try the saw out  8) 8) 8) I say hope only because there is so much pressure from the spring it's hard for me to visualize how that little pin will be able to hold it all and direct it but I know the system worked when new so I'm interested to get it all back together and see it in action.

Just because nothing is ever easy, when I came home last night I noticed a small puddle of B/C oil under the saw  ;D ;D I'm hoping it's just because I had it on it's side a bunch yesterday. I figure even if it leaks a bit, so long as it pumps the oil to the bar when the saw is running I can use it for a bit and fix the problem in a week or two or three. It's a good excuse to take the clutch apart and clean it and the oil pump up. Eh, if I have some time today maybe I'll try the nifty trick with the impact wrench and give it a look today  ;)  I have a very one track mind and struggle to not obsess over this kind of stuff until I have it sorted.

Totally unrelated but a feel good win for me, the muffler on my little truck had rusted out pretty bad. Got the new one welded on using my 1960's miller stick welder which I am not the greatest at. Wouldn't surprise me if the next time it's on the rack at the mechanics they come back and politely suggest I never use whatever shop did the work again  :D :D :D But it's solid as can be and quiet. I didn't realize how bad the noise was until it had been corrected. It's the little wins like this that keep me going.

Brandon 

Nebraska

My 372 leaks a little oil too, no more than it actually gets used it's not worth dinking with to me it just lives on cardboard. It oils just fine when it runs. Do you have one of those nifty little screw in hard plastic plugs to brace the piston against? Makes clutch removal more pleasant. Have used a wooden dowel in the past never broke one off in the cylinder but worried about it.

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on October 09, 2019, 10:13:52 AM
My 372 leaks a little oil too, no more than it actually gets used it's not worth dinking with to me it just lives on cardboard. It oils just fine when it runs. Do you have one of those nifty little screw in hard plastic plugs to brace the piston against? Makes clutch removal more pleasant. Have used a wooden dowel in the past never broke one off in the cylinder but worried about it.
I don't have one of those plastic plugs, I'll have to find one! 
Brandon 

lxskllr

I've heard of people breaking cylinders using the screw in plugs. I intend to use the time tested rope in the cylinder when the time comes to change my sprocket.

ManjiSann

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the brake parts came in a couple hours ago. Finished putting the brake together, put everything back on and it fired right up!!!!

I used it for about 20 minutes to rip some firewood and it runs really well. The difference between this saw and my little Poulan is AMAZING! Heh, now I want to try and get a 50cc pro saw now  ;D ;D ;D

For the moment the epoxy seems to be holding and I'm not seeing any leaks of fuel or b/c oil. I'm super stoked as I can now use it on Friday and get some more quality time with my new toy! 

Here's a pic of the saw all together

Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: lxskllr on October 09, 2019, 06:15:56 PM
I've heard of people breaking cylinders using the screw in plugs. I intend to use the time tested rope in the cylinder when the time comes to change my sprocket.
:'( :'( :'( That's not something I want to have happen.
Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

Congratulations Brandon. It would be better to see a photo of the big stick eating grin on your face that I know you will have all evening :D. Let her run for a bit as you get the feel and figure it out. Don't be hasty about getting everything prefect in one quick shot. Let her work in as you get used to the sounds and feels of this saw. 
 If you are looking for a smaller pro-saw, maybe look for a 60cc? There are a of of plenty good 50cc saws that are not 'pro-saws' it's a big market. I love my 450, but it's not a pro saw.
 Also with regard to the clutch removal discussion, don't over think that either. The easiest removal tool I have seen used is a scrench placed in the righ location on the clutch ring slot and a good sharp smack with a 12" plastic wedge used as a mallet. No rope, no plastic plug, nuttin'. Just a good sharp smack. Didn't take the plug out either.
 Have fun with it man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Pine Ridge

Good to see you have it all together and running! You won't sleep a wink tonight, all you'll hear is that 390xp screamin !!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

ManjiSann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 09, 2019, 07:25:16 PM
Congratulations Brandon. It would be better to see a photo of the big stick eating grin on your face that I know you will have all evening :D. Let her run for a bit as you get the feel and figure it out. Don't be hasty about getting everything prefect in one quick shot. Let her work in as you get used to the sounds and feels of this saw.
If you are looking for a smaller pro-saw, maybe look for a 60cc? There are a of of plenty good 50cc saws that are not 'pro-saws' it's a big market. I love my 450, but it's not a pro saw.
Also with regard to the clutch removal discussion, don't over think that either. The easiest removal tool I have seen used is a scrench placed in the righ location on the clutch ring slot and a good sharp smack with a 12" plastic wedge used as a mallet. No rope, no plastic plug, nuttin'. Just a good sharp smack. Didn't take the plug out either.
Have fun with it man.
;D ;D ;D That's my stick figure drawing of the grin on my face ;D ;D ;D Asked my wife for about the 20th time if I'd mentioned how much I love this new saw... good thing she's a tolerant woman  :D :D :D

I did brush the muffler off and spray some black high temp paint on it this morning. Looks a bit better.

I plan to do as you say and run her a bit and see what if anything else she needs. I know I need a new air filter and wouldn't hurt to put in a new spark plug. I did order a new rubber seal for the fuel cap as it weeps a wee bit of fuel. Aside from a longer bar for milling I'm not seeing anything else I really need.

I tried to remove the clutch this morning, put a rope in the cylinder and whacked it a few times in the direction the arrows indicated but couldn't get it to budge. I'm probably over cautious but I don't really like whacking things. I don't really need to remove the clutch right now other than just for cleaning so I'm not going to worry about it at the moment. I'll either buy a removal tool or cut a socket down and make my own for giggles. Not a huge concern at the moment but it does remind me I need to grease that bearing real quick. 
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: Pine Ridge on October 09, 2019, 07:37:16 PM
Good to see you have it all together and running! You won't sleep a wink tonight, all you'll hear is that 390xp screamin !!!!!
Heh, you know it! I wish I had a huge tree I could cut down. This thing has the torque to actually use the dogs!
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Had the chance to use the saw a bit yesterday and I wasn't grinning...  ;D ;D ;D ok I totally was!!! This thing is amazing! Best money I've spent in a while.

Helped a neighbor remove 3 "fruit" trees, not sure what kind they were but here's a pic:

The saw made short work of everything! Had a bit of a bad moment when one of the tree's wanted to go the opposite way I needed it to go. It was 100% my fault, I didn't properly evaluate before starting to cut and after cutting the heavy branches off one side started to cut one of the biggest only to realize if it fell it wasn't going to ruin some yard decorations so I stopped. Problem was I'd cut the counterbalancing branches off the other side already, I didn't have wedges ( I do now  :-[ :-[) so we tied a rope as high up as we could get it and as I cut the guys helping pulled hard. At first the tree disagreed but eventually we convinced it to go where we wanted it. Lesson learned, I immediately went out and bought some Stihl wedges and a heavy rope. I will also do a much better job of evaluating before I start cutting.

Back to the saw, it performed like a champ and the epoxy on the tank seems to be holding fine for now. I did notice what looks like oil seepage under the muffler and I wonder if the gasket is leaking. I want to try and confirm what the problem is but if it's the gasket the seepage seems so minor I doubt I'll worry about it unless I have a need to replace the piston or some other major overhaul in which splitting the case would make sense. It's a 9 year old saw that's seen use, a small leak in my mind is to be expected.

Well off to work, my real job wiggling a mouse and trying to look busy  ;) ;) just wanted to report that the saw is AMAZING and also admit to my amatuer mistakes in the hope that someone can learn from it and stay safe. Yesterday was a total success, trees down and gone and 0 injuries.

What do you guys use to hammer wedges?

Brandon

(I've decided the tree was a Callery Pear after extensive observation of it's mating and eating habits... ok I googled it and the leaves and fruits seem to match.)

Nebraska

Usually it's a 2# hammer  on the wedges or sometimes a maul, congrats on getting it going glad it went well. Save some of that fruit wood for the smoker it will do nice things to  pork shoulders.  Must be getting close to lunch that sounds really good.   Can't wait to see the next saw added to the litter.  Have fun.

Southside

My money is on him getting one of these next at the pace he is going at.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrapmuPDlY
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on October 12, 2019, 12:30:09 PM
Usually it's a 2# hammer  on the wedges or sometimes a maul, congrats on getting it going glad it went well. Save some of that fruit wood for the smoker it will do nice things to  pork shoulders.  Must be getting close to lunch that sounds really good.   Can't wait to see the next saw added to the litter.  Have fun.
@Nebraska do you happen to know what species the tree is? I'm leary of using any wood to smoke with that I don't recognize.
Saving my pennies for a lighter pro saw or maybe a top handle with a short bar. I had to cut some saplings that were between a fence and shed and even the 16" bar on the Poulan wasn't convenient and made for some uncomfortable cutting. Not in a huge rush at the moment since it's getting cold but will keep an eye on the local ads in case someone decides to list one I can afford  :)
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on October 12, 2019, 12:45:36 PM
My money is on him getting one of these next at the pace he is going at.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrapmuPDlY
WOW that would solve the "How do I make this tree go where I want it" question wouldn't it!  Wonder if I could build a chicken coop in the backyard and convince the neighbors it is just a really big rooster  :o :o
Brandon

Southside

Even with that rig, now and then they don't go where you want them to.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

For small stuff, you might want to look at a Silky handsaw. They chew through wood quick, and take little effort to run them. Kind of expensive for a hand saw(~$75), but they're what the pros use. Makes a good backup to rescue your chainsaw if it gets pinched also. A couple times ago, I climbed without it, and got my saw stuck. Had to climb back down to get the Silky. New policy is never climb without a handsaw  :^D

ManjiSann

LX, I'll have to buy a little hand saw as there's times when it's the right choice over a chainsaw.. just not as much fun IMO  :) :)  But if I'm going to do a job I need to do it right.

So I think I've figured out what species of tree it was that I cut down on Friday. I think it's a non fruiting pear tree of some sort, anyone disagree?

Brandon 

ChrisRoss

ManjiSann

@ChrisRoss  Welcome to the forum! I've only been a member for a few months but I can tell you in just that short time I've learned a lot and the members on the forum are very nice and quality people... well except that @Southside  character, watch out for him he'll try and send you chickens  ;) ;)

Brandon

Thank You Sponsors!