The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Sorta solar kiln  (Read 1951 times)

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Sorta solar kiln
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »
that much figure is going to warp and create tension with drying in any wood.  very nice!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
that much figure is going to warp and create tension with drying in any wood.  very nice!
That I did not know!  It makes sense and explains the challenges I've had with this wood.  I figured it was just tension in the tree/logs that I was fighting and perhaps drying too fast in our high desert climate.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
after dry, may have to joint one side, then plane the other.  the plastic is the mechanism by which you try to control the humidity and rate of drying.  more dry is not always "more better"  lol.  you can allow for more planning in thick slabs, and or just plane until you have erased the defects in the wood.  that has a ton of grain running all over from a branch.  not gonna be straight no matter what you do, but sure is interesting and pretty.  just like you @OlJarhead .   :) :) :) ;)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2019, 11:14:13 PM »
If you would like a technical explanation...
Wood is made mainly with woody cells (hollow, miniature, skinny tubes with length 100 times the diameter) that run vertically in the tree and carry liquids to the leaves.  These cells shrink and swell in diameter (thickness and width of lumber) as the moisture changes between 0% MC to around 30% MC.  Their length does not change an appreciable amount usually.

When you have swirly grain, it means that the cells (sometimes called the grain) are no longer vertical in the tree but run different directions.  Along with this swirly orientation, it means that the shrinkage and swelling of the cells in diameter cause a particular swirly region to have shrinkage and swelling along the lumber's length.  Different grain angles mean different movement characteristics- -warp- -within a piece of wood.  

The bottom line is that beautiful swirly grain in lumber means warp variations are likely.  Control is extremely difficult or impossible.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »
Thanks Guys.  My plan, with luck, is to plane all of what I have down until it's flat :D  I did manage to work the small pieces I have down to 'pretty darn' flat ;) but those were tests.  Now they can wait for use as bow ties or whatever I can find for them being so small, but the big stuff I will plane down with the router sled.  I can remove about 3/4" from them, maybe a full inch if needed.  Then, if that's not enough I'll have to cut them smaller but I do have pieces that remained fairly flat so we shall see.

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »
My plan, with luck, is to plane all of what I have down until it's flat

Just remember that you can't plane bow or twist out of a board. You can make it thinner but it will still be bowed and/or twisted. Sometimes it's even hard to plan cup out of a board when the rollers keep pressing it flat.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
It's been a while!  I've cleaned out the shop after getting a new storage shed to give me a place to put crap I don't want in the shop ;) and got my router planing jig and table set up.  Then finally started planing.

The walnut is down about 11% and as I mentioned before I decided to plan it flat and continue the drying from here (and possibly using some that won't need to be down at 8% or better).

It's taken some work to get the jig set up well and the right bag on the vac filter with the right dust mask etc etc but at this point most of the fine dust is going into the vacuum and not past my cheap mask (because I got a better one too) and some of these have a lot of movement and require more material to be removed but so far this is working.

Now let's hope they stay flat!  Only three done so far but I'm getting the hang of it.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2019, 11:57:21 AM »
@OlJarhead the  jig will get it flat and at low MC hope it stays that way.  what @alan gage is saying is that running it through a traditional planer will make both side follow the other but may not take the twist out.  if your slabs are fastened or shimmed so they cannot move, the top side should be flat when done.  then if you had a big enough planer it would work fine for the second side.  or just flip it over and use your router sled again on the second side.  by definition you are really jointing the surface with a sled, not planning which is i think the point Alan was making.  looking good.  lots of hard work.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »
Aha!

That makes sense, thanks!  I shim the underside, 'joint/plane' the top until it will sit flat and flip it over and do it all over again.  Once both sides will sit flat without shimming I then go back and forth doing enough on one side to make a difference, then the same on the other...sorta like milling.  The idea being to limit movement or 'mill' it out.  I had not noticed any though so decided to make one side completely flat and then flip and see how that goes.  So far so good.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2019, 05:22:58 PM »
yes, just do one side until flat with shims under it, when you flip it over, it should sit flat without shims. and then do the second side.  

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2019, 11:11:43 PM »
Finished off my 3rd piece.  I noticed a very slight bit of movement in the piece overnight though (I think -- unless it wasn't quite flat after the 1st session) and shimmed it with some sand paper, finished planing/jointing and then flipped and planed the first side again just that little bit.  Lots of nice figure, which probably resulted in the slight movement.  

Here's hoping it settled down.  A friend of mine was big into Japanese carpentry and explained that no matter what you do it will move.  The question is, he says, can you work with the wood and what it wants to do  :D ya, not likely.  I'll stop at some point and super glaze that sucker and attach steel legs and move on ;)

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
I think rustic allows for a little movement, not meant to be perfect.  if you keep it you re-flatten it 3 years from now if needed.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Sorta solar kiln

Started by chet on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post September 24, 2019, 10:14:24 PM
by chet
xx
Mental Exercise! Hybrid kiln design (solar drying concept w/o solar heat)

Started by scsmith42 on Drying and Processing

11 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 10:51:46 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
DC solar powered fans for Solar kiln

Started by Paddock Jack on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 09:21:24 PM
by longtime lurker
xx
Pre-build solar kiln questions(Photos of kiln building progress)

Started by caveman on Drying and Processing

58 Replies
Last post April 17, 2016, 06:35:35 PM
by caveman