iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved the RS2 Resaw one person on & off the mill issue.

Started by DR_Buck, September 24, 2019, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I've had my Woodmizer RS2 resaw for several years now and the worst thing about using it is getting it on and off the sawmill.   Unless I am sawing at a customer site where they off-bear and stack, I usually work alone.  This has been a real issue for me concerning my RS2.   Its heavy enough to requires at least two capable people to lift it on and off.   Not having the 2nd person, I have tried many things and the most reliable has been using the forks on my tractor or skid steer and that's a real PIA.     Both at the farm and here at the new place there was/is no way to install any type of overhead lift, so that is also out of the question.   Once when it was on sale I bought and tried using the Harbor Freight pick-up truck crane, but mounted to the barn wall the boom wasn't long enough to reach the center of the sawmill, so that idea was scraped  as well........ until yesterday.   smiley_idea 

I've found myself taking a walk around outside with my 1st cup of coffee in the mornings and I usually circle behind the garage/shop.   Yesterday I got part way around and detoured toward the sawmill.   So there I was staring at the mill and all the stuff I have piled up on the far end of the mill shed area when it was like being smacked upside the head with a 2x4.  :o    Why don't I mount the Harbor Freight pick-up truck crane on the sawmill where it will reach the center?  smiley_headscratch    Two $5 square u-bolts later and my problem is solved.  8)

I store the RS2 on a roll-around cart so it is easy to move when I need it out of my way, so now all I have to do is roll it up to the end of the mill where I mount the crane and lift it.    The crane is bolted to the outside frame directly behind the head transport holding pin and can be left installed while the resaw is in use.  Then just remove the u-bolts and lift it off when you want to switch back to regular sawing.

The following pictures basically tell the rest of the story.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ljohnsaw

Nice.

I picked up one of those truck cranes, too, off CL.  It is bolted to a plate with a receiver "tongue" (the part that fits the hitch on my truck).  I can "plug" it into my truck, my trailer (to parbuck) or my mill (to roll).  You might think about bolting a receiver to your mill in an out-of-the-way location so you don't have to unbolt to remove it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

Could one use the mill loader to move it on and off the mill from a cart? 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DR_Buck

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 25, 2019, 05:06:55 AM
Could one use the mill loader to move it on and off the mill from a cart?
Not in less you want to destroy it.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

billy1MB

I usually use dump cart from Agri-Fab for that purposes. I've been searching for that on couple of websites, but finally found it here ( https://bestyardproducts.com/best-dump-cart-for-lawn-tractor/ ) with all other models, could compare with different options, but Agri-Fab is more convenient and versatile than most other dump carts.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Woodpecker52

I have had one crane  mounted on truck bed, now it is set in concrete beside my sawmill I use it to roll by cable logs up unto log deck when not using tractor, or I can swing it over the bed and wrap around heavy log to turn it. Handy especially when alone.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!