iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A FUN FACT FILLED FORESTRY FIELD TRIP

Started by Jeff, May 09, 2002, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Many of you may remember that I was responsible for creating and running a contest for the 10, 11 and 12 grades for all of Michigan for the Tree of Hope project. We decided that first prize was going to be: A FUN FACT FILLED FORESTRY FIELD TRIP.

Well, Ada Takacs from the DNR and I had the responsibility for creating and Coordinating the trip which takes place May 15. We have been very busy over the last few weeks getting this thing put together and I thought that you might like to take a look at our itinerary, which still may change a little before now and Wednesday.

Tree of Hope
Sustainable Forestry Tours
May 15, 2002

On May 15th, 2 groups of kids who won tree of hope contests will be going on a forestry field trip. Ten 11th and12th graders from Shepherd, and Twentytwo 7th and 8th graders from Gladstone, and 9 adults will be visiting the following stops and events. Our Students will be traveling in style! The Gladstone group will be traveling on a tour bus from Westlund busses and the Shepherd group will be riding in a deluxe bus from Dream Keepers of Mt. Pleasant.

MFRA auto tour:(this is a link!) Gladstone will be doing the U.P. tour Shepherd the L.P. tour. DNR Foresters will be on board the buses to explain each site and will tie in the related stops that will be visited on the trip.

Weyerhaeuser: Strand board developing. Tour of entire process from pulp wood to product includes tour of computer and control rooms.

Active Modern timber harvest. On-site explanation of how harvests are conducted, what large equipment is used, etc.  

Hartwick Pines State Park: Explanation of the old growth pines, logging museum and visitor center. Students will be planting large white spruce (same species as Tree of Hope) at the park and including a time capsule with students' signatures and one other item selected by the classroom beforehand. Note: this is the only time we're aware of that students have been allowed to plant trees in a park and include a time capsule. Students will be able to take their children and grandchildren to the park in the future and point out the tree they planted.  

Grayling DNR:We will be eating pizza for lunch here. Staff will take students in groups of 5 and teach them basic forestry tool use and formulas to figure height, age, circumference, Tree I.D.,etc.  

Kirtland Warbler site: Students will visit an active Kirtland Warbler jack pine stand that has been managed specifically for the endangered bird. The Kirtland Warblers should have returned to Michigan by now, so we may be able to view and hear them. Note:  There are only two places in the WORLD that Kirtland Warblers are known to nest...the Bahamas during our winters and northern lower Michigan in the summer.  

Christmas Tree Farm in Topinabee: Tree farm that propagates Christmas trees from seed. Entire process from seed to bailing will be shown or described.

Trip Coordinators:            Foresters:
Ada Takacs                 Jack Pilon (Shepherd Bus)
Jeff Brokaw                           Tom Stone (Gladstone)

Handouts:

Teacher gets:

Eastern and Western Audubon Field Guides
      Poster sets (Life in the Forest and Smokey sets)

Every student, teacher, chaperone, forester, and bus driver if enough) gets:
Bag
Eastern Audubon Field Guide
Disposable camera and developing pouch (good for free developing of film)
Famous and Historic Tree certificate valued at $45 + catalog
MFRA auto tour pamphlet
U.P. auto tour pamphlet
B&B planting and right tree/right location flyers
Pencil
One ticket

Digital Camera Prizes:
3 digital cameras will be drawn for by ticket at the conclusion of the trip.
Each student will have one ticket in their packet.  Foresters can hand out additional tickets throughout the day at random.  Suggested reasons to hand out tickets: The student pays close attention to a speaker, asks questions, assists in cleanup or planting trees, answers trivia, etc.  The more tickets a student "earns," the better the chances that they will win the digital camera.  Everyone will have at least one chance to win because of the ticket in his or her bag.

A few of the Forester's Objectives
 :) Keep the tour on schedule
 :) Describe MFRA Auto Tours
 :) Ask pertinent questions at the sites that the students may not know to ask
 :) Distribute and give instructions for the handouts
 :) Describe how to plant a B&B tree at Hartwick Pines State Park
 :) Explain how to use the Audubon field guide

Talking points
 :) Christmas tree industry facts at the farm
 :) MFRA Tour (site #9 is Grayling area jobs; site #10 is Hartwick Pines; Will try to make any connections between auto tour and today's stops)
 :) Famous and Historic Trees certificate: worth $45; planting zones; benefits of planting indigenous trees
 :) Forestry Trivia questions
 :) Time capsule:  Includes Tree of Hope tag (from official ornaments), Tree of Hope emblem sticker, page with signatures of students, and whatever the school wants to add.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That looks like fun.  I wish I were going. :'(

DanG

AWWWW, MAAAANNN! I wanna go!  That sounds like a super day.

This is the sort of thing that creates the people who will love the forest for all their lives. My hat is off to you and the other folks that put this together. 8) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

That sounds like a really cool field trip!!  Tom Stone the forester on the Gladstone Bus is he from the the DNR office in Indian River?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Yup I think so. I will be right up in your nick of the woods again Greg.

CHARLIE

I sure wish I could go. Sounds like fun and I bet I'd learn a lot of neat stuff I didn't know.  Neat for the kids too! They're gonna have a fun day learnin', free pizza and get out of school too! 8) 8) Sounds like they can't lose. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Believe this or not.  There was one student from the Shepherd group that was scheduled to go to Cedar Point on the same day with another group. He told the teacher last month he was not going on ours. The Teacher said that after he saw our itinerary he discussed it with his parents and they felt it was too important of an opportunity to miss, so it looks like they will be taking him to Cedar Point so he can go on our tour.

Maybe the next Gifford Pinchot for the 2000s?

Last year it was stated by someone from Mead paper in Michigan that trying to educate the general public about forestry and forest management was like trying to kill an elephant with bird shot.

The President of MFRA's answer to that: How would you go about trying to eat that elephant?

One bite at a time. :)

Ron Scott

Well done! They will see and learn a lot. Some interesting stops with some very good tour guides.
~Ron

Corley5

I was at a training session the other day that Tom also attended.  It was on warm weather grasses.  Basically it dealt with restoring native prairie systems.  It was quite informative.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RavioliKid

Wow, Jeff!

What a fantastic trip! What a great prize!

You guys sure are a class act!

RavioliKid

timberbeast

8)  Sounds great,  Jeff,  I love it!  If'n ya get up 35 from Gladstone,  watch on the right just past Rock,  you'll see Kanerva's landing on the right.  When you go a few more miles and see McFarland,  give a toot on the horn,  I might be about 4 miles west on the only crossroad,  grunting in the swamp!   If ya kin sneak out' the bus in Rock,  sneak a quick coke at Herb's Bar.  He wuz the first Westlund in da U.P.,  long gone,  his grandkids have it now.  I believe they own the bus company as well.  The original money came from cutting timber.  The young'uns own a passle of land,  one chunk that adjoins a forty in Rock where my Pop was born and raised,  used to have a Christmas tree farm there.  They also have a ton back on the old Parker Spur road north of McFarland,  we used to walk to their camp through the woods and visit when Herb and Billy (Herb's son)  were still kicking.  Herb showed me a stand of Cedar once,  that he said he was going to let grow for around ten years before he cut it.  He was 95 at the time.  Us Finns may roll naked in the snow,  but we do have optimism!! 8)
Where the heck is my axe???

Jeff

Tomorrow is the big day! I will take a lot of pictures. I have two newsletter articles to write when I get back. One for Michigan Forest Resource Alliance and  the Michigan Tree Farmers and one for Michigan Association of Timbermen.

Our weather here has sucked big time for weeks now. Forcast for tomorrow? Sunny and upper 60s. Perfect!

RavioliKid

Have a great time tomorrow, Jeff! It's good to see that the weather is cooperating.

RavioliKid

Jeff

What a day! More later, I am bushed!

Everything went very well and I think the Kids had a blast. (And hopefully learned a lot!)

Frank_Pender

Good people like yourself, Jeff, makes for good learning and great memories for kids learning base.   Thank for giving of yourself.   It is the best there is to give, I have found.  Those kids are fortunate to have those around them that care enough to take a day for real learning and sharing.   :P
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

Education of this sort might have headed off some of the ecoterrorism being discussed at length in other threads. It goes a long way to eliminate the 'us and them' mentality that labels the other as the enemy.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I have created a pictorial webpage for the fieldtrip. It is very similar to our gallery site here. You can comment on the photos. If you would like to take a virtual tour of our fun fact filled forestry field trip, please stop by www.mfra.org and click on the field trip link!

I encourage you to make comments (Only positive please! :D )on photos that interest you, or leave a question if you have one. The foresters that guided our buses will be checking in! I believe his will help the educational value of the site.  After all interested folks (Students, hosts, forester, teachers, parents, tree of hope committe members, and lastly all of you) have had ample opportunity to comment, I will turn that function off. we have already had a few comments, and are expecting many more.

P.S., I would prefer mentions of yours truly be kept to a minimum. I developed the pictorial site to help further the learning  the field trip was only possible because of the generosity of those businesses or sites or individuals that hosted our groups

Tom

Good pictures, Jeff.  I hope those kids remember that trip for a long time.  You and the others responsible for their interest may have created some future foresters.  Wouldn't that be great?

Jeff

One of the teachers told Ada, that a couple of the students are actually actively seeking more information about forestry or related careers!  

RavioliKid

Great slide show, Jeff!

You sure had a beautiful day for your trip.
RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!