The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: New guy planning for far north  (Read 987 times)

Offline Kainkelly

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: New guy planning for far north
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 12:27:01 AM »
Yeah foundations are why I was wanting to buy plans off shelf where there is something to follow, vs starting from scratch is there any recommendations for reading for design and construction of foundations? Going through materials and stress loads/distribution still namely on tfguild, and a few other places here and there.

Looking forward to making this happen.
Respectfully I think you may have missed my point just a bit. I was trying to say that having plans, written or otherwise is of course good, but having the actual hand and mind skills to execute those plans is critical to success. Spending a day or more to figure out how to make something work is a killer when skill would have allowed you to do the same thing in an hour. Time counts and skill is time. Daylight and weather become the coin of the realm in hostile conditions.
This won't give you any skill instruction, but it is a good book and enjoyable read. Check out "One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey" by Richard Proenneke. There are two books, I think the first would be best for you. You can find it cheap on ebay. It might give you some flavor for the mindset. Keep in mind Richard entered the woods on his dream after decades of experience and building skills.
Best of Luck.
I put a fair bit of time in debating how to respond, I absolutely understand where you coming from and listening and don't want you to think I am not. Maximize time, and use the little time I have realisticly wisely. In order to make the most of that time practice cutting joints, running wire, installing insulation, so on and so forth. Maybe follow along online with builds of others, see what problems the faced and how they over came them. Once I am up north for a while look and see if someone needs a weekends hand in raising a structure, and take care of that as need be. (I make no claim to being anything more then a diyer at any of this.) In doing so possibly gaining hands on experience unavailable to me other wise. I think I may have that as a PDF I know I have something from Proenneke I grabbed as a PDF.

Offline Kainkelly

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 12:49:02 AM »
Kain, what everyone is trying to tell you is that you need to be prepared for what you are saying you want to do.  Things can go bad wrong up here and help can be very far away.  This guy is very lucky to be alive:

'Nothing was as he expected': Trip to remote Interior Alaska ends in river rescue - Anchorage Daily News
I read that twice, then a third. I get what you are saying, but arrogance also played a huge part in what went wrong there. To wave off people offering to help/check in with you is a death wish, to assume tech will work of the word of a company was ignorant. The only reason I had not brought up having someone check in on me was because I assumed it was required. (In addition to being something that would need to be worked out after I had land and was ready to start building for extended periods of time.) Being prepared is only half the issue, having a respect and understanding for the environment you are going into or the lack there of will kill you. (I am attempting to show that respect, and develop that understanding.) I don't mean to come off as passive aggressive, but more went wrong there then having simply not been prepared enough.

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 01:45:59 AM »
Wow! He was very idealistic and totally unprepared for what was in store, it gives you an idea of what can go wrong. We had many people move here to avoid the draft in the 60's, they thought 'living off the land' would be so romantic and carefree. Reality dealt many of them a harsh hand and they didn't make it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Saw cut planning....

Started by mrcaptainbob on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 05:27:10 AM
by Chuck White
xx
Planning your last cut first story

Started by Jim_Rogers on Timber Framing/Log construction

23 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 08:43:01 AM
by Jim_Rogers