The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Log unloading ideas needed for flatbed trailer  (Read 1087 times)

Offline mainiac1

• Share Post
Re: Log unloading ideas needed for flatbed trailer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 07:42:25 PM »
I can't for the life of me find the video of cremonas that I'm talking about sorry.

I guess the obvious problem with snatching from rear of trailer around front of log is the cable traversing around the front of the log. Can you build a bracket that spikes into the front of a log with a wheel on it? Or could you split your wire rope in two and run two lengths on the drum? Snatch one on each side of log and drag off like that
I used his idea to build my log arch onto my trailer. I couldn't find any of his videos on reverse snatch or whatever it would be called to winch the logs off. He has a huge number of videos! I think I'd need some kind of guide to pull the logs off attaching to the front of the log as it would wand to trig sideways. I saw April's build also before I built mine. Quality job. WV...I am going to have to repair and re-weld the back of my trailer because using the "drag-off method, the logs tend to snag the back lip of the trailer. Going to add a piece of plate steel on the back 4' of my trailer and that should help. Edvantage, I used the skids idea once when I had a tractor load me, but every other time I have to use my Arch to drag them onto trailer, so the skids won't work, but the offload was easy that day. The only thing I have to anchor from is flush-cut stump. I  spend more time moving logs than cutting :( Thanks for the ideas.

Online charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 08:09:18 PM »
I guess the obvious problem with snatching from rear of trailer around front of log is the cable traversing around the front of the log. Can you build a bracket that spikes into the front of a log with a wheel on it? Or could you split your wire rope in two and run two lengths on the drum? Snatch one on each side of log and drag off like that
  OK - I'm lost (again). If you are snatching logs off the rear why would you go around the front? Am I misreading this or reading something into it that isn't there? If I'm snatching from the rear, I hook to the rear end of the log. Yes the winch is on the front of the trailer but I'd run the cable out past the logs to the anchor point, through the snatch block hook to the log or the chain or cable (tongs would be better) hooked to the log then when I reel in the cable the snatch block redirects the direction of pull straight off the back. When the hook gets to the block you have to stop, disconnect and make another connection.
Snatching from say the right rear, bringing the cable to in front of the log, then cable hooked to left rear, will push the log off the trailer. 
Granted i just roll the logs off my gn, but if i used my bp and didnt have an anchor point, id have to push the log off. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »
Okay, so if I read this right you are anchoring to the corner of the trailer because no handy anchor point then hooking to the front of a log"spinning" one end around to roll off. Is that correct? Be sure the trailer is sturdy enough if so. I connected to the front of my little 5X8 with a snatch to load logs and bent the front bar when I didn't stop soon enough. ::) That comes from working alone and not paying enough attention.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline JoshNZ

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 09:28:23 PM »
Okay, so if I read this right you are anchoring to the corner of the trailer because no handy anchor point then hooking to the front of a log"spinning" one end around to roll off. Is that correct? Be sure the trailer is sturdy enough if so. I connected to the front of my little 5X8 with a snatch to load logs and bent the front bar when I didn't stop soon enough. ::) That comes from working alone and not paying enough attention.
Not spinning the log to roll off no, dragging, or pushing it off. I thought the OP was asking about ideas without the use of a stump or external anchor point. I.E. a trailer that could unload itself in a desert.
So winch at the front, wire goes from that to lets say pulley at the rear left, back around the front of the log, then hooks up to an eye on the rear right. The winch will want to pull the loop out of the cable that the log is in, hence it gets 'pushed' off. The only problem is the cable traverses across the front of the log. So I guess matt put a piece of dunnage on there but I still see it wanting to turn the log sometimes.
You only need to get it to the balance point where you can place the butt, winch another foot or so then drive out from under it I suppose. The two cables on the drum idea would be a PITA... See what dunnage on the front of the log goes like =/

Online charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2020, 10:04:38 PM »
Okay, so if I read this right you are anchoring to the corner of the trailer because no handy anchor point then hooking to the front of a log"spinning" one end around to roll off. Is that correct? Be sure the trailer is sturdy enough if so. I connected to the front of my little 5X8 with a snatch to load logs and bent the front bar when I didn't stop soon enough. ::) That comes from working alone and not paying enough attention.
Not spinning the log to roll off no, dragging, or pushing it off. I thought the OP was asking about ideas without the use of a stump or external anchor point. I.E. a trailer that could unload itself in a desert.
So winch at the front, wire goes from that to lets say pulley at the rear left, back around the front of the log, then hooks up to an eye on the rear right. The winch will want to pull the loop out of the cable that the log is in, hence it gets 'pushed' off. The only problem is the cable traverses across the front of the log. So I guess matt put a piece of dunnage on there but I still see it wanting to turn the log sometimes.
You only need to get it to the balance point where you can place the butt, winch another foot or so then drive out from under it I suppose. The two cables on the drum idea would be a PITA... See what dunnage on the front of the log goes like =/
winner winner chicken dinner. but yes, the log will want to twist a bit, and he would guide it with a cant hook. 
just use an old butt round or some sacrificial piece of wood. ill go through his vids and see if i can find an example. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline cabindoc

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 06:23:51 AM »
Mainiac1, can you post pics of your trailer with log arch?  seems to me, if it were in the right spot, you can put a snatch block on the back of the trailer and up to the pulley and use the arch to unload much like you load, only opposite.  or can the arch be set up to be moved to different anchor points with a clevis pin attachments?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need ideas for unloading 2ton pallets - on a budget

Started by chainsaw_louie on General Board

9 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 06:32:55 PM
by olyman
xx
need ideas for a wooden flatbed

Started by Part_Timer on General Board

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 06:11:38 PM
by Quartlow