The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery  (Read 12527 times)

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
Re: Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery
« Reply #420 on: March 30, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »
Good deal!
I went to pt today. They just keep scheduling more apt$$$$
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #421 on: March 30, 2020, 05:41:38 PM »
I was glad that he gave me the home PT option.  My co-pay is $55 per session beginning the first of this year.  :o  Last year with my knee it was $35.  Obviously I have reached the expendable age. 

I go back to the NP in one month and have an appointment with the surgeon in May.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #422 on: March 31, 2020, 08:09:35 AM »
Mine is $174. Another money grab.
So between the knee replacement and the rotator cuff which was easier?
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #423 on: March 31, 2020, 10:47:11 AM »
For me da knee was hands down easier, no pun intended. Just ta be sure I had both knees and both shoulders done, yup knee wins.  :D   Raider, hows it lookin' for dat bike ride?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #424 on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:45 PM »
Pain was never really an issue with either, but this '6 weeks in a sling' was a pain in the butt log.  Of course now I am finally having to start doing stretches and getting my shoulder back.  With the knee, I was discharged after 6 weeks with no restrictions nor limitations.  Don't misunderstand, the knee ain't well yet, but right now it is better than what I had before the knee surgery.

No question, I would do-over with the knee before another shoulder. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
« Reply #425 on: April 01, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »
I agree Lynn
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #426 on: April 02, 2020, 05:55:39 PM »
Magic, have you been doing the "lay on the floor on yer back and extend a broomstick behind your head with both arms PT?"

I'm not trying to become a PT person here but that plus the rest is what got me to full overhead arm extension and it sure didn't come easy!

I did face to face PT twice a week and do feel the the manipulation as done by the better PT people was very helpful as they move that arm in a very theraputic way so as to stretch the surgery related tissues toward that full extension goal.
My $700+ sling had two modes and switched to something similar to an oldtime done at home sling toward the end.
Mine was done in 11/2014 and been used for whatever comes along since then. My doc reminded me that putting it back together doesn't make arthritis go away and he was sure right. Ran chainsaw several hours yesterday and shoulder hurts... such is life.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #427 on: April 02, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »
No, not the broomstick yet but I did see the shoulder guys doing it when I was doing my knee PT.  For the next month I am doing the pulley which warms things up and rubber strap exercises.  Two days sawing this week has loosened me up quite a bit, and with two more to go.

Offline stanwelch

• Share Post
« Reply #428 on: April 03, 2020, 04:23:53 AM »
Magic. You are doing really well.  PT for me seemed like a long time with very slow adding elements of movement. I was expecting to git r dun and push myself through to full strength faster than PT wanted. After six weeks I completed phase three ROM objectives and was released to phase 4 - strength building on my own.  That was I realized why the slow PT pace.

Keep up the good work. You’ll get there! :)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #429 on: April 03, 2020, 08:47:29 PM »
I believe that the sawing (with good help doing the lifting) is helping me to loosen up.  I know that I am steadily going higher with the rope/pulley.

Offline realzed

• Old Fart
    • Share Post
« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »
Personally I never found the mechanical pulley-deals or elastic/bungee cords much good or use - I did find that walking the hand of whichever shoulder I had done (both actually now) up the wall of the shower each day once everything got warmed up, worked better for me than anything else.
Started off being fairly far off of the enclosure wall either in front of me or at my side, and gradually worked up closer and closer and higher and higher -  as the warm water loosened everything up.
Warm shower water worked real good for trying to increase my range of motion behind and up my back as well - but everyone's results, situations, and benefits will differ obviously!
As opposed to my TKR - the shoulder deals were both a breeze and pretty much back to some 'normal' for someone at my age then (60's) within a fairly short time.. compared to my knee which I long ago realized, won't ever be good again.
Trouble is - I can't throw anything overhand or even sidearm well at all..  must be humorous to watch me get frustrated at something sufficiently enough so I try to fire off the offending piece of whatever I'm worked up about, because I now know I have the throwing motion, accuracy, distance, and probably power, of someone of the fairer gender now.
After years of pitching fastballs and bombing long football passes around (much of which I'm sure helped to create my problems originally) as well as undoubtedly lifting far too much weight by myself always, I should have known it all would come back at some time to haunt me.
Tried to fire a rock off at a bunch of geese that were crapping all over my nice green lawn at camp last Spring and darn near killed myself..
What made the pain, lack of accuracy, and distance, most embarrassing and troubling though - was.. I never knew Geese could laugh!!    

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #431 on: May 12, 2020, 05:40:27 PM »
I went to the knee surgeon today for my six month X-Ray & visit.  He was well pleased and told me to continue to use it.  Simple instructions, if it hurts avoid it, if not continue on.  Just treat it like it was mine.  He did answer some questions that I had which was nice/informative.  He said that I could have some swelling after I did something strenuous but not to worry about it.  Heck, everything that I do is strenuous.  I go back in six months, I guess so that he can get another check.

The shoulder is doing well but I know that I am big time overdoing it. 

I handled the other end of these slabs yesterday and they are stacked high!!   :o  The top two are over 30" off of the ground.  The Red Toolbox shows that they weigh 130lbs. each.  I ain't 'spose to be doing that.  :-X

Online tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #432 on: May 12, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »
I wish you a speedy recovery Lynn !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Who's had shoulder surgery or is contemplating it?

Started by LOGDOG on Health and Safety

30 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 09:47:11 AM
by Bandmill Bandit
xx
Total knee replacement

Started by pep on Health and Safety

107 Replies
Last post February 23, 2020, 10:17:58 AM
by wisconsitom
xx
Bad Shoulder