The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery  (Read 12534 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Knee Replacement
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2019, 08:37:23 AM »
I have been sorta quiet on my knee situation but I am still kicking along.  No, I am not pleased with the amount of flexion that I am able to reach.  I had good numbers shortly after the surgery but I have not been able to go much beyond 90 since then.  I know that I am impatient and want to see "instant gratification" but this ain't happening with the knee stretching.  I really worked hard this weekend and the PT will be here ~8:30 this morning so we will see. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2019, 08:50:43 AM »
110% effort is about all we can expect from... you know... someone your age! :) :) :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »
I'm excited!  I hit 108 flexion this morning which is very close to my maximum that was reached while the knee was still under the effects of the surgical pain block.  My work this weekend paid off.  I haven't been told but I suspect that the goal will be closer to 115 - 120?

My job now is to keep on keeping on with the PT "homework" bends and stretches.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
110% effort is about all we can expect from... you know... someone your age! :) :) :)
Hey Doc, all that effort is paying off for him. 😥
As they say, it's not the years, it's the miles that count.
However, gotta say, I'm concerned that if he keeps this up, all of us will be subjected to photos of MM in Lululemon yoga tights. 😲😝😨
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2019, 02:15:52 PM »
If that does happen we will all be thinking about those good old days and the foot photos. ;D
 Seriously, it is great news to hear the progress after how you were feeling this morning Lynn. Just hang in there and think about the long haul. It might be easier for you if you were surrounded by a 2 foot snowfall and no hope of getting outside, but lacking that, you are probably chomping at the bit. I am sure one of us could host you in the great frozen north for a while so that you would loose your desire to get outside for a while. ;D :D
 Keep your chin up and keep on truckin' (gently).
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2019, 02:18:47 PM »
It should go without saying, but we should note that 110% from MM is about the equivalency of 190% from someone in their teen's. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »
Better watch it Doc, MM has not taken advantage of your youth and inexperience yet.
When he does you may be reminded that he has a very good mastery of the english language.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
I Love you guys.  Brotherly that is......

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2019, 05:21:00 PM »
I Love you guys.  Brotherly that is......
Have you been drinking MM? The last time somebody said that to me, they were, heavily.  ;D Oh, maybe it's the meds, yeah that's it!

Offline Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2019, 08:36:54 PM »
108 is pretty impressive, congradulations I think thats  pretty fast to hit that milestone. . Those Lululemon tights are kinda spendy, I think the young lady's in the house got them for Christmas presents last year.  I think you are better off with sweatpants. ;D

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »

This is the best that I could do.  I haven't seen the hospital bill yet but they were probably ~$300. ::)

I have continued to push hard today.  No in-home PT tomorrow but he will return Wednesday and discharge me.  I will see the Surgeon Thursday and be enrolled in my outpatient PT starting after that.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:21 PM »
Oh, those are purty, but they don't look like Carhartts.     :D :D :D
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2019, 11:36:02 PM »
He had to one up the yoga pants- "hey, look y'all! These ones are see through!" 😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2019, 06:08:20 AM »
I'm a thinking of ya!! I know what you are going through.  :(   Sounds like the degrees are going good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »
Glad to see the progress you are making MM.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »
Lynn,

Do they make them in Christmas colors? Maybe you can audition for a role as an elf in the Brookhaven Christmas play. :D :D :D 

Take care and keep us posted on your recovery.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
I overdid my PT "homework" yesterday morning and paid for it yesterday afternoon/evening with some pain and swelling but my PT visit this morning went very well and my flexion reached 111. 

I am now discharged from home PT, will see the Surgeon for a follow-up visit tomorrow and begin outpatient PT Friday morning. 

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2019, 12:50:17 PM »
Lynn-

The #1 predictor of how much knee flexion a patient gets after a TKR is how much flexion the patient had preoperatively.  People inherently just presume that you "get a new knee".  While that's structurally true, it's the soft-tissues that determine postop flexion, not the metal and plastic components.  And it's difficult to get tissues that haven't been bending or sliding to an absolute, young adult, full knee flexion to do so after years of some restricted motion.   If you're getting 110 degrees of flexion at this juncture, you're doing great.  But don't expect your knee to bend like it did when you were 20.  Those days are long gone.  I think you're headed to a fine result, which won't be complete until you stop cerebrating over it!  The good news about the amount of flexion (111 deg) you've attained is that you won't have trouble walking up or down stairs.  While 90 degrees of flexion is considered acceptable after a TKR, you need more than that to walk reciprocally (one after the other) on steps.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »
Thanks doctorb.  Maybe I am trying too hard but I don't want "what I can't do" after this surgery to be because of something "that I did not do" after the surgery.  I don't intend to be disappointed.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »
Rolls of pennies.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Who's had shoulder surgery or is contemplating it?

Started by LOGDOG on Health and Safety

30 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 09:47:11 AM
by Bandmill Bandit
xx
Total knee replacement

Started by pep on Health and Safety

107 Replies
Last post February 23, 2020, 10:17:58 AM
by wisconsitom
xx
Bad Shoulder