The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder  (Read 8120 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Knee Replacement
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »
I think you're headed to a fine result, which won't be complete until you stop cerebrating over it! 
He cerebrates a lot.  At least he can.  I won't call out any names, but there are a few here that cerebrate poorly :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2019, 08:37:35 AM »
"cerebrating" not to be confused with "celebrating".  ;D

I believe that the good doctorb was telling me that my healing/recovery process will not be complete until I can use the knee during my normal day without "thinking about it".  I am still a loong way away from that.  Reaching 111 of flexion with two Tylenols and a pain reliever in my belly and still in agonizing pain is a long way from "normal".

I still have a very long way to go before I reach that level.  My attitude is that I don't want my future to be defined by what I failed to do during this healing/recovery process.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
Reaching 111 of flexion with two Tylenols and a pain reliever in my belly

If the doctor allows have you tried pain relievers that reduce inflammation like Ibuprofen or Aleve (NSAID)?
I was probably the last person in the world to realize it but they don't all work the same. When my back was killing me Tylenol made virtually no difference. Ibuprofen, by reducing the inflammation which was pinching the nerves, allowed me to walk like a 75 year old instead of a 95 year old. The worst week of my life was the week before surgery when they told me I had to stop taking ibuprofen.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »
Thanks Alan.  Fact is I dont normally take anything,  maybe a couple dozen Tylenol a year.  Ill see the Surgeon this afternoon and it will be interesting to see what he says.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
I had the same success with the over the counter Ibuprofen and Tylenol in a Dr. recommended regimen.  It really took the edge off, and wasnt habit forming or caused other issues.    

Since you dont normally take them, they should be quite effective since you havent built up a tolerance.  

As my Dr told me, pain serves no positive purpose in this case, as it triggers undesired mental and physical reactions, including joint swelling, increased inflammation, and general physical inactivity.  He told me Motion is Lotion and the more active I was, the more it would positively decrease swelling and surprisingly, pain.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
If you are taking a blood thinner after your surgery then NSAID's like Ibuprofen, Aleve and especially aspirin are a no-no. Tylenol is about the only over the counter allowed with blood thinners.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »
Wow what a long day.  I left at 9:00am and just plopped into my chair.  The NP that was with me in the pre-op saw me and seemed pleased.  Of course she was not interested in my "forced" motion but what amount of straightening and bending I was able to do unassisted.  I start my three day a week outpatient PT tomorrow and will see the NP again in one month.

I was prescribed a "step down" pain med "Norco" and the twice a day 81 grain aspirin was reduced to one in the evening.  I take no other blood thinners.  I can take Ibuprofen/Aleve during the day if needed but not at night.  The stocking stays on the "operated on" leg for another two weeks so I guess that "pole dancing" is allowed.  ::)

I also got me a brand new genuine artificial aluminum highly valuable Walnut walking stick.  ;D

Offline randy d

• Share Post
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2019, 07:50:34 PM »
Sounds like things are going pretty good hopefully you will be back sawing by spring. Randy

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #228 on: December 06, 2019, 11:51:10 AM »
I had a good first visit with the outpatient PT.  The bending reached 110 but she was not really interested in the bending.  She was interested in the straightening.  I am at 10 and we have to reach 0, so that will be my goal for the next couple of weeks.  

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
Back a few years when my wife had a TKR, I think the only issue she had was the "straightening" part!

PT suggested she lay on the bed, on her belly, and hang a small bag of sand or marbles from her ankle for about 30 minutes!

Next visit, PT was pleased with the results! 
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2019, 08:35:20 PM »
That would not work for me because I lost all of my marbles long ago.  ::)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2019, 09:57:04 PM »
well we know you have plenty of sand.  check the pockets of your clothes you wore on that big job this past year!   :D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
 :D  And I was trying to forget about the sand box.  I did talk with that customer just before my surgery and he was wanting to know when I would be able to saw again.  My understanding is that it will be in a different location.

Future sawing, traveling, hunting, etc. is what is giving me the motivation to push harder.  This inactivity sorta "cramps my style".  (old saying) 

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
You will be your old self in no time. Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »
It can be harder to get the last 10 degrees of straightening (extension) than to get the last 20 degrees of bending (flexion).  Really focus on getting full extension, as it is required to walk well.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2019, 09:04:10 AM »
Thanks doctorb.  My strength and stability has really improved this past week.  I will get "measured up" this morning by the PT, and I am looking for some improvement.  I know that I am impatient but you gotta remember, I didn't want this mess to begin with so now I want it to go away.  ;D   The PT session is scheduled for 30 minutes this morning and 45 minutes for Wed. & Fri.  Maybe she has some surprises in store for me.  :o

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
Give it hell MM.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »
Apparently I am and did Peter.  My flexion improved from 110 Friday to 115 this morning and my extension went from 10 to 3.  I'll keep on busting my chops with my PT homework.   

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »
Magic-

I gotta admit, you make me smile.  You've taken this on like you're in a heavyweight bout.  You took a few shots early, but you're comin' back!  Those ROM (Range of Motion) numbers are quite good.  

DoctorB
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2019, 06:54:13 AM »
Great job MM 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Total knee replacement

Started by pep on Health and Safety

101 Replies
Last post December 31, 2019, 02:21:52 PM
by kantuckid
xx
Bad Shoulder

Started by Chuck White on Health and Safety

31 Replies
Last post May 15, 2018, 03:52:54 PM
by mike_belben