The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Yellow Jackets !!  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
Re: Yellow Jackets !!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »
Confusing. Same name, two unrelated things.

Plantain weeds

Glad you posted that because I was thinking the banana like plant which I like to fry up with pork chops, rice and beans. They (g the banana type)a grow  around here. 

Don't light the gas just pour it down the hole. 
Digging them out is a waste of time and will get you stung. They have more than one way in and out. 
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
btulloh,

I am glad you just get the gas and C-4 and don't do anything extreme or go overboard or such about things like yellowjackets. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »
 :D :D :D

The C4 just lets them know Im serious. 

Overwhelming force is the best counter to little yellow bugs.  - Sun Tsu, The Art of War
HM126

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »
The Plaintain works very well. Could not bring myself to chew it, but mashed it up in my hands and rubbed it on a sting this summer and within moments the pain was gone. 

Raider, the ignition may not be necessary to achieve mission success, but neither is flying a Jolly Roger, still  they make the event more memorable.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 08:04:48 PM »
Howard,

I can't believe that you bleached yourself :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »
   About a 1" dot on my R forehead. Took several months to fade back to semi-original color.

The worst thing - that is nowhere near the most damage I have done to myself over the years. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Ruffgear

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 09:46:04 PM »
We had an incident a couple weeks back, here's the short version. I drove over a nest with my skid loader  while making firewood. My 9 year old daughter was following behind on foot. I stopped when I heard screaming, she came running by with hundreds of yellow jackets chasing. It was bad, she got stung a lot as did I, but not as bad as her. Had to run a couple hundred yds maybe while trying to get them off of her dragging her along at times. Got her shirt off and got her into the house and still a couple dozen made it inside. It was pretty crazy

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
Ruffgear,not good.
Many years ago,25 or more,my 3 brothers came and wanted firewood. My Father was there too. He was cutting the trees down and we was doing the limbing and the bucking. When running the chainsaw,you don't hear them yellow jackets until it's too late. :o  I think we knew where there was at least 10 nests. Long time ago,could of been 20. :) We was all getting stung that year. We would have to pull the tree to a diffeant spot to get away from the ground nests. Kinda funny to watch a brother start running through the woods. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »
Squeezing cider is when we'll get hundreds of them coming around. They are in everything having a feeding frenzy. They usually don't sting then unless one gets trapped in you clothes or something, it's not the same as invading their home turf.

Sort of related to the lawn tractor thread, I was mowing by the front deck which means I'm really hiked out, off the edge of the seat, full body lean and right elbow is way out off the tractor. I'm skimming by the deck posts when one of them hits me right in the elbow. I cut hard left down hill and while reacting two wheels come off the ground but it lands back on all 4 and down the hill we go full tilt. That swath didn't get mowed for awhile but sure enough a skunk found them one night and excavates. I don't know but it seems like they must emit a smell he picks up on when they get really stirred up, he'll clean them out most times when I've gotten into a nest. Anyway, I'm leaning over the deck looking at his handywork and notice he didn't get it all, then I see why. He dug out a good bit of my post footing but the nest must be partly under it as well. Lovely, a spring project to excavate and repour ::). They are not my favorite critter. I usually get into a few ground nests every fall. On the tractor if I sit real still they usually go for the pto shaft and gearbox on the bushog.

I have noticed my other aches go away when I get stung but I sort of think its just like if you have a headache what you need to do is drop a brick on your foot.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Ruffgear

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »
Ya my kids have a little PTSD now. Do people have allergic reactions to them, like they do bees?

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 10:39:05 PM »
Oh yeah.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 10:45:41 PM »
I don't know if the same would hold true with Yellow Jackets or not but with honey bees when you get some aggressive ones coming after you (we have about a dozen hives) the best thing you can do is "break the line of sight", put a couple of trees, or other tall object, between you and the nest, and keep moving in a direction that keeps you out of a direct path.  It may seem counter intuitive to run into the woods rather than a field, but it works - at least with bees, and under the right circumstances they can get rather aggressive.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
Ya my kids have a little PTSD now. Do people have allergic reactions to them, like they do bees?
  More people are probably allergic to yellowjackets than they are honeybees. And the bad thing about wasps  is they can sting multiple times while a honeybee only once.
Howard Green

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2019, 12:35:37 AM »
Do people have allergic reactions to them, like they do bees?

Wasp sting put my Mother in ICU for a couple of nights a little while back. If my Nephew hadn't been there and seen her suddenly collapse she would have been dead, and likely no one would have guessed why. Because she had said "Ow, a wasp just stung me" a couple of minutes before the collapsed, he was able to tell the paramedics that, and they could administer the right treatment. Even then it was touch and go and she has no recollection of 2 days. 

She had been stung by bees and wasps before, and never had a reaction, but now carries an epi-pen. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
Usually I tangle with at least one hive a year.  This year, knock on wood, I have been lucky.  Ran over a nest with the bush hog and saw the swarm.  A night time pour of gas removed the threat.  I saw two others while bush hogging but fortunately skunks had dug out already.  Did not mind missing an encounter this year!

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 11:28:27 AM »
I at one time ran a crew of Native Americans with a strange sense of humor.  Working the woods, one would find a yellow jacket nest in the ground, stand near it and call for help from the rest of the crew, about the time they got to him, he stomped the ground and ran.  We had a safety lesson each morning till I got tired of the Tom Foolery and got rid of them.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 01:23:48 PM »
I get quite a few ground nests every year and usually spot them without getting stung much. Around my buildings I throw about a half a cupful of sevin dust on the hole and then stay away a few days, the worker bees going in and out take enough in to kill the entire nest, safer than gas which I also have used. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 05:32:42 PM »
There is a certain visceral satisfaction of throwing a match on a nest that had a couple of table spoons of gas in them.  Particularly after they have run you out of the woods.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
   That is how we take them out also Raider. We wait until dark, have a long neck bottle filled with gas and shove it in the entrance. I know they sometimes have more than 1 hole but it does not matter. Once you plug that hole and that gas goes in there, they are dust. You have to be quick because even at night the sentinel (not sure about that spelling) (the guard) will be at the hole guarding it.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2019, 02:53:17 AM »
  That is how we take them out also Raider. We wait until dark, have a long neck bottle filled with gas and shove it in the entrance. I know they sometimes have more than 1 hole but it does not matter. Once you plug that hole and that gas goes in there, they are dust. You have to be quick because even at night the sentinel (not sure about that spelling) (the guard) will be at the hole guarding it.
Yup, find the nest (carefully ) during the day. Then go back at night and pour a litre of gas in the hole and throw a sack over it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

angry
Yellow Jackets

Started by Magicman on The Outdoor Board

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 04:00:27 PM
by drobertson
xx
Yellow jackets?

Started by hackberry jake on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 08:42:13 PM
by clww