iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing a crooked log

Started by ethanbrush, October 22, 2019, 10:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

ethanbrush,

Around here, gentle curve in a log is called sweep, an abrupt change in direction is referred to crook or a dogleg.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on October 24, 2019, 11:27:49 PM
ethanbrush,

Around here, gentle curve in a log is called sweep, an abrupt change in direction is referred to crook or a dogleg.
So is this a crook, or a dogleg? :D :D Either way, it was a challenge.As an aside, this log had barbed wire running through it in the last two feet on the left end, so I whacked it off and and it became pretty straight. :)

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

If Forrest Gump was a Sawyer, he would say, "Crooked is as crooked does, and that is all that I have to say about that ".   :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nebraska

Well that log of Tom's  would be  a short log  and a chunk I'd think about slabbing into bench material, but right now the log splitter is on the tractor. It's only saving grace might be the absence  of my big saw which took a trip to the dealer since it gave up running the other night and I was close.  That much bow in a twenty footer  I would likely cut it in half, unless material needs to be that long.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 25, 2019, 07:19:40 AMSo I whacked it off and and it became pretty straight. :)
In the words of Forged in Fire's, Doug Marcaida, once you trimmed it to become a "log"....
"It will ROLL"
  :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

To me if it only has one bend it is bowed or has sweep.  Same as a road; one turn makes a curve, two or more makes it crooked.  If a log has a second bend that makes it crooked.  Sometime the second bend might be 90° or whatever from the first bend. 

I thought that this Sycamore was crooked.

Yup, two bends make it crooked.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ethanbrush

Timber Harvester 30HTD25
Stihl 075 w/ Sperber 36" CSM
Husky 550XP
Uniforest 45M
New Holland TC-45

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on October 25, 2019, 07:38:38 AM
Well that log of Tom's  would be  a short log  and a chunk I'd think about slabbing into bench material, but right now the log splitter is on the tractor. It's only saving grace might be the absence  of my big saw which took a trip to the dealer since it gave up running the other night and I was close.  That much bow in a twenty footer  I would likely cut it in half, unless material needs to be that long.
Well I wanted to get a few pieces out of it for some short benches off the one end, but when I hit the wire I decided it would make a nice block to set my and anvil on.  :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Southside

Being a Sycamore that probably dried straight!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ethanbrush

Ok so the consensus from the most knowledgeable and experienced pool of sawyers anywhere is there are no best strategies for sawing sweeped logs and just throw the log in the dumpster ;) ?
Timber Harvester 30HTD25
Husky 550XP
Uniforest 45M
New Holland TC-45

btulloh

Saw them for what they'll yield that's appropriate.  Probably not 21' long 2x8's for the reasons already covered.  I don't think I read anything about exactly how much sweep your log has.  Already mentioned above - a long log cut to shorter logs will lessen the sweep.  

I like to saw bad logs just to improve my knowledge.  Every log has something to teach me.  Worst case, I get some dunnage.  Worst worst case, I get some dimensional firewood.
HM126

Magicman

I don't know how knowledgeable and experienced I am, but I do not encourage discarding logs with sweep.  That being said, I only saw customer's logs and sometime a log like the one shown in Reply #26 that is bucked 16' will only yield 12' lumber.  I normally saw the straightest portion that will yield something that is on the customer's cut list and I only scale what is on that cut list.  For example if something measures 14', I will scale it as a 12'.  I find that it is best not to fret over the small stuff.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on October 25, 2019, 08:32:43 AM
To me if it only has one bend it is bowed or has sweep.  Same as a road; one turn makes a curve, two or more makes it crooked.  If a log has a second bend that makes it crooked.  Sometime the second bend might be 90° or whatever from the first bend.  

I thought that this Sycamore was crooked.

Yup, two bends make it crooked.
Now you did it. Now you have two crooked ones!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

YellowHammer

Quote from: ethanbrush on October 26, 2019, 08:40:16 AM
Ok so the consensus from the most knowledgeable and experienced pool of sawyers anywhere is there are no best strategies for sawing sweeped logs and just throw the log in the dumpster ;) ?
No, there are strategies.

Don't buy the log in the first place.

If you already have the log and paid nothing for it then anticipate what you want to use it for and saw it to either produce bow or produce crook as the end product dictates.

Or cut it shorter and use that part of the log.  The key to sawing these logs is to understand the effects of the pith and optimize the sawing pattern.

If you already have the log but you actually paid for it, then kick yourself in the behind and then saw it up as above, knowing you paid good money for a poor log.

Or if it's a big ugly log and it's sitting in a pile of dozens of straight logs, then push it into the fire pit while nobody is looking.   :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

I think MM and Yellowhammer pretty much nailed it. When you get lemons, made lemonade, but don't expect to taste like fine wine. I just did a load and one log was 'poor' so I milled in into plain slabs for the customer because I know it will get used. If I tried to make dimensional, I would have wound up with a bunch of 1 x 2 which were no use the them.

ethanbrush

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 26, 2019, 04:03:32 PM

If you already have the log and paid nothing for it then anticipate what you want to use it for and saw it to either produce bow or produce crook as the end product dictates.

The key to sawing these logs is to understand the effects of the pith and optimize the sawing pattern.

Exactly, this is what I am asking, how to do these things.
Timber Harvester 30HTD25
Husky 550XP
Uniforest 45M
New Holland TC-45

Ed_K

Just like I'm doing. Saw lots of logs an try different ways of doing it. I'm thinking of writing down how I saw the log and what it did while I was sawing it. I have a pile of hard maple to saw some are straight some have crook / sweep depending on length an one has spiral it'll be interesting.
Ed K

btulloh

Agree.  Experience is the only way to get experience.  

Try stuff.  It's different than if you're sawing customers' logs and have a cut list.  Sawing your own logs for you gives you a chance to experiment.  Just be sure to have reasonable expectations and accept the fact that some logs don't turn out.  I really have learned a lot from experimenting with funky logs and got some useful stuff I didn't expect.  I've also learned what not to saw.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!