Forum > Forestry and Logging

Skidder comparisons for a newbie in the northeast

(1/12) > >>

General007:
New to the forum but have been checking out posts for a while now trying to do my research before I decide on a skidder to buy.  So here's what I plan on doing with the skidder: 
1. I'm located in southern Vermont so the terrain is tight and steep so this has eliminated most larger skidders right out of the gate for me.  
2. I own a excavation company and a sugarhouse on 100 acres of land and am looking for just a small skidder to skid firewood with and clear the occasional building lot.  
3. Id like something user friendly and that doesnt have a screaming Detroit in it. 
Right now available in my area are a ton of the john deere 440 series and a few Cats, I'm looking to spend under 15k right now as I cant justify spending a ton on something that will be sitting most of the year as a "toy".
So I guess my question comes down to from what limited knowledge I have with skidders is:  Between a Deere and a Cat which is better?  I'm looking at mostly 440a and b series a few c series also a couple 540's and for the Cats a 518 and a 508.  I like the Cat just because I own Cat excavators but it seems like the Deeres are a bit more plentiful in the area and might be easier to find used parts for.
I know this is a broad question but this is where I'm at and have searched a ton for more information on the two and havent really found any comparisons on the older cats and deeres.  Thanks everyone  

Skeans1:
Ill bite, how long are the turns? If they arent that long with that type of terrain lends itself more towards a track skidder then a wheel skidder. Something a D4H TSK or a 517 both were available with an arch and winch only.

General007:
I dont think a track skidder will fall in my price range of 15k or less thanks

Ed_K:
 Take a ride up to Nash equipment in colebrook N.H. they'll have a number of kinds of skidder's you can get on an try out. To bad you don't like the detroits.

General007:
Its not that I dont like detroits its the fact that I have 2 of them on my crushers that by the end of the week I'm sick of listening to them run so I thought I'd shoot for something maybe a little quieter haha if that makes any sense 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap