iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing dry Tamarack

Started by welderskelter, May 01, 2022, 08:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I was given a bunch of tamarack logs. The guy says they are dry. Are they going to be hard to build with cause they are so hard. Will they also be hard to saw on the mill?

barbender

It is a hard softwood. The main battle when sawing it is keeping pitch off of your blade, and learning to read tamarack logs for which ones are worth sawing and which ones are better used as firewood. Butt logs with large bells, and ones with spiral grain get passed over unless I'm just sawing blocking or something. Tamarack is unique in how much the sawn lumber will follow the shape of the log. If the log has a big stump flare, the lumber will look like a hockey stick. If the log has a 4" sweep, the lumber will too. Tamarack says, "I grew that way and you're not going to change me"😁
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

For rough cut 1" exterior siding, fence or wagon boards, tamarack is what you want. Sawn thick you better bolt it down today and keep tightening.

welderskelter

Dont sound good. I was wanting to build a wood shed and use them as the posts

ladylake

I'd think  Tamarack would work fine for shed post ,put it up soon as possible.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

welderskelter

Ladylake I like your idea best . I figured they wouldnt warp so bad as they are airdried in the log.

moodnacreek

Quote from: welderskelter on May 02, 2022, 09:30:37 AM
Ladylake I like your idea best . I figured they wouldnt warp so bad as they are airdried in the log.
Air dried in the log means rot and cracks and still wet in the center. Saw logs should not be allowed to dry and get warm.

ladylake

If the bark falls off tamarack it will last a long time in the log form, if the bark stay on it will rot around the outside fast. Lots of buildings , fences ,hayracks , silos etc were built out of Tamarack in the past.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Mooseherder

I used Tamarack probably similar to what you're describing to re-deck my trailer.  There was just enough to cover but I had to use a couple of pieces that had twisted some but still okay for this purpose.  You can saw all of the lumber for your project if you got enough logs.  :)

It makes purty trailer boards.

KWood255

Quote from: welderskelter on May 01, 2022, 08:04:16 PM
I was given a bunch of tamarack logs. The guy says they are dry. Are they going to be hard to build with cause they are so hard. Will they also be hard to saw on the mill?
I cut around 500bf of dry tamarack today. It seems to have a lot more memory/stress in the log compared to red/Jack pine or white spruce. Not as bad as poplar or birch though! It's beautiful looking lumber in my opinion. 

KWood255

Quote from: KWood255 on May 02, 2022, 09:46:10 PM
Quote from: welderskelter on May 01, 2022, 08:04:16 PM
I cut around 500bf of dry tamarack today. It seems to have a lot more memory/stress in the log compared to red/Jack pine or white spruce. Not as bad as poplar or birch though! It's beautiful looking lumber in my opinion.

barbender

It is pretty stuff. Like I said, learning to recognize the logs that are likely to give you problems and setting them to the side is half the battle with tamarack. 
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!