The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Manjisann's Chainsaw Milling Adventures  (Read 5420 times)

henry-sawer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Manjisann's Chainsaw Milling Adventures
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2019, 02:51:37 PM »
I am personally glad you are passing.  looks half dead and prob not great wood, poss full of bugs.  it is all about risk vs benefit.  but... I remember being young once too, and took on a lot of projects out of residency, that I had waited years to do.  everyone enjoy your day!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline ManjiSann

• Doing more with less because I can't afford more;)
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »
Thanks Doc, hope your day is a nice one as well!

I think I've read somewhere (I think it was in the business section of this forum) that when starting a business you have to be careful you don't get so wrapped up in the not profitable customers that you don't have time when the good ones come along.

While I'm not doing this as a business or to make money, I figure the analogy is similar. I need to take care that in my excitement (read exuberant greenie inexperience ;) ) I don't spend so much time, effort, money, space sawing any ol' thing that comes along that I won't be able to take on the nice stuff when it comes my way. 

I'm sure more people will need little fruit or other trees removed that are within my risk/rewards comfort level, I just need to be patient. In the mean time I can continue to learn on the forum, saw my little logs into small lumber for my projects, build tools, save up for that new fuel tank my Husky seems to need (darn crack is leaking) and budget for a 36" bar and milling jig so I can perhaps mill bigger stuff. Fortune favors those that are prepared right?  ;) ;)

I suppose I also aught to figure out why I'm so driven to do this and what I want to really get out of it and that will help guide me as well.

Seriously though, do you think there's a market for mobile CSM services?  :P :P

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2019, 09:49:26 PM »
I'm sure there is a market for that, you explicitly instruct that the log will be where and how you want it dropped by some one else. Pack your toys and go do it. I think it out to be worth about may be 50.00$ an hour (just a guess) they are responsible for manglitter disposal, and the mild damaged to the grass.  I bet you can do it.  I doubt very many around there are doing it.  I've seen an add for someone doing it custom south of me in the city. 

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »
I'm sure there is a market for that, you explicitly instruct that the log will be where and how you want it dropped by some one else. Pack your toys and go do it. I think it out to be worth about may be 50.00$ an hour (just a guess) they are responsible for manglitter disposal, and the mild damaged to the grass.  I bet you can do it.  I doubt very many around there are doing it.  I've seen an add for someone doing it custom south of me in the city.
I was thinking if I were to do such a thing it'd be $50 an hour, so sounds like I'm in the ballpark for pricing. Something for me to ponder over the cold months of winter  :)
Brandon 

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2019, 10:59:30 PM »
I think there is a market, you just have to market it.  For example, why would I hire you for my job?  

1. Seems you are very portable, I.e, you can get into small spaces, such as backyards, sideyards, etc.

2.  You have a small footprint

3.  Minimal disturbances to the neighbors (your neighbors are a good example)

4.  You can do very short logs (most times lay people call me wanting me to saw up their logs, the arborist has cut them into 4 foot pieces.  No go with for me, but in the sweet zone for a CSM.)

5.  Minimal disturbance to the lawns, no dragging of logs, no tire ruts from equipment.

6.  Minimal cleanup.  I know there is a lot of sawdust, but thats not much compared to when a full size bandmill rolls in.  

7.  I dont know, other stuff?   ???

Something you might try, is a rope and a hand crank.  I came up with this for my old Alaskan mill, its very simple, weighs nothing, and helps tremendously.  I bent a hand crank out of a small steel rod, drilled two holes in the uprights to pass the bent rod through, tied a few feet of paracord to it and the end of the log, and instant hand winch.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 09:55:17 AM »
I think there is a market, you just have to market it.  For example, why would I hire you for my job?  

1. Seems you are very portable, I.e, you can get into small spaces, such as backyards, sideyards, etc.
2.  You have a small footprint

3.  Minimal disturbances to the neighbors (your neighbors are a good example)

4.  You can do very short logs (most times lay people call me wanting me to saw up their logs, the arborist has cut them into 4 foot pieces.  No go with for me, but in the sweet zone for a CSM.)

5.  Minimal disturbance to the lawns, no dragging of logs, no tire ruts from equipment.

6.  Minimal cleanup.  I know there is a lot of sawdust, but thats not much compared to when a full size bandmill rolls in.  

7.  I dont know, other stuff?   ???

Something you might try, is a rope and a hand crank.  I came up with this for my old Alaskan mill, its very simple, weighs nothing, and helps tremendously.  I bent a hand crank out of a small steel rod, drilled two holes in the uprights to pass the bent rod through, tied a few feet of paracord to it and the end of the log, and instant hand winch.  

@YellowHammer I think you may have just layed out the entire marketing scheme for me! Ok, I'm sure you missed a few points but dang that looks pretty comprehensive to me, THANK YOU!  
So far I haven't really felt like I needed a crank but as I go forward I'll certainly keep it in mind. I'd imagine if/when I put a 36" bar on, the extra weight may make pushing it myself less desirable. Also after a few hours of milling I bet that crank would be looking REAL nice. 
I think I'm still a bit away from doing any real milling for other people but it's good to be thinking the details through right now so I'm ready if/when I do decide to pursue it as a side gig.
Brandon 

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
I see a dual head 3120xp super slabber setup in your future ;D ;D ;D.  Just kidding Brandon, but you know I won't be shocked if it happens. Saw dust is powerful stuff indeed.

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
I see a dual head 3120xp super slabber setup in your future ;D ;D ;D.  Just kidding Brandon, but you know I won't be shocked if it happens. Saw dust is powerful stuff indeed.
My initial response was "Haha that'll never happen!!!" then I thought about it for a second... I won't say it'll never happen but I honestly don't see it in my future at this point. Of course 4 months ago I had never used a chainsaw so who's to say where this crazy ride will go ;D ;D ;D.
I'm wondering if sawdust is molecularly related to certain white powders that shall remain un-named but are known for being highly addictive  :P :P  :D :D  There really is just something amazing about taking a chainsaw and turning a log into lumber, or dropping a tree.
Funny side note, did my laundry this morning and turned my socks out only to have a pile of man glitter fall on the floor  ;D ;D Guess I'm going to have to start shaking my clothes outside.
Brandon

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
I edged the boards (that's what it called when you cut the bark and such off so they are more or less square?) this morning using my little circular saw on one side then the table saw for the other

It's a good little cordless saw but the batteries that come with it and drills just don't have much power to them and I'm not at a point where I want to consider getting a couple of the bigger capacity batteries due to the cost  :o :o  So I will now have to cut at least 2 sides with the chainsaw so I can run the board through my table saw. 

I was able to get two nice 10" wide boards this time. But one of the narrower boards had some serious defects in it (you can see it in the above pic) so that one will end up being cut shorter once it dries. I left it long so I could sticker it with the rest. Can you tell the pile is growing  ;D ;D

I did take Doc's advice and have been sealing the ends. I have a bunch of parfin wax I melt in a paint can and then coat the board ends with that. I'm sure achor seal or one of the other products is a bit easier to work with but it's a bit to spendy for my shoestring budget right now and I can get the wax pretty cheap at the local hobby store in the candle making aisle. 

I'm thinking I need to put a 2x4 as the bottom sticker as the one I currently have is cupping a bit due to the ratchet strap pressure and I'd hate to have the board cup because of it. What size stickers would you guys suggest and how far apart?

Brandon 

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »
3/4 thick, 1.5 inches wide.  about every 18 to 20 inches is what I do.  depends on species and thickness.  some double sticker the ends of the piles to reduce end check, but coating the ends is the most important.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »
I have the same DeWalt saw but it came with a 5ahr battery.  I now have 5 - 5ahr, 3 - 4ahr and the original 2 1.5ahr for the drills.  You definitely need the 5's for the saw- shop around for some deals on Amazon for 2-packs.  Also, look on Amazon for some Diablo blades for it.  Slightly thinner profile and WAY sharper.  I got a 5 pack for $30 or so.  They cut so much better and the battery lasts longer because of it.

As far as stickering, I think you should make up (or cut up) some pallets the size you need with the first sticker attached (2x4 on edge?).  Do it in such a way that you can get your ratchet straps under it (through the pallet).  You can then use a hand truck when you need to move them around/out of the way.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
3/4 thick, 1.5 inches wide.  about every 18 to 20 inches is what I do.  depends on species and thickness.  some double sticker the ends of the piles to reduce end check, but coating the ends is the most important.
Aside from the 18-20" that's what I've been doing. I think I'm going to increase the stickers. It'd be a shame to ruin this wood due to a lack of stickers and straps.
Brandon

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2019, 07:46:35 PM »
I have the same DeWalt saw but it came with a 5ahr battery.  I now have 5 - 5ahr, 3 - 4ahr and the original 2 1.5ahr for the drills.  You definitely need the 5's for the saw- shop around for some deals on Amazon for 2-packs.  Also, look on Amazon for some Diablo blades for it.  Slightly thinner profile and WAY sharper.  I got a 5 pack for $30 or so.  They cut so much better and the battery lasts longer because of it.

As far as stickering, I think you should make up (or cut up) some pallets the size you need with the first sticker attached (2x4 on edge?).  Do it in such a way that you can get your ratchet straps under it (through the pallet).  You can then use a hand truck when you need to move them around/out of the way.
I do need to get some of the bigger capacity batteries. Maybe I'll ask for some for Christmas  :snowball:
The idea of stickering in such a way I can get a hand truck in there is so simple it's neat-o brilliant! Thanks for the suggestion!
Brandon 

Offline Oliver05262

• Share Post
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2019, 08:01:41 PM »
Be careful melting that wax. You should melt it in a double boiler setup. You cant overheat the wax that way. A half full gallon can of wax on fire can really do some damage. Dont try to move it; cover the can with a piece of metal and shut the heat off. Just sayin..........
  Good luck with the mill, and keep us posted as to how it goes. That board with the defectin it might be really purty used in the right place.
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

It's OK to cry.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2019, 08:05:41 PM »
I love my battery saw, but rip cuts in thick green lumber really call for a good ol plug in skilsaw. Youll need one anyway if you start building anything substantial. Not a big investment. 

Agree with the diablo blade suggestion. There other good blades, but the diablo are everywhere and not expensive. 
HM126

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »
Manjisan
Glad to help.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline ManjiSann

• Share Post
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2019, 10:43:12 AM »
I don't know that I need one right this moment but looking to the future, what's a good economical moisture meter?

I assume I don't have to kiln dry wood before I build with it so long as I've allowed it to air dry for an appropriate amount of time and the moisture content is low enough? 

Brandon 

Offline JRWoodchuck

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
You can go to a second hand store and get a worm drive skilsaw for $50. Doesnt run out of battery (unless you dont pay your electric bill) and has way more power.  
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Offline captain_crunch

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »
I am no expert I used an Alaskan mill quite a bit and In my opinion you need to work your chain over some or your bar is wore out my bords were smother with a ripping chain from Bayles 
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2019, 03:59:08 PM »
I use a no pin Wagner.  if you are near the desert, you can prob. get down to 10 to 12 % MC air drying.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
chainsaw milling

Started by WoodSmith on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post October 16, 2005, 07:28:33 AM
by DonE911
xx
Chainsaw milling what saw?

Started by Haggis on Chainsaws

26 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:34:31 PM
by j-jock