The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: New LT15 on the way  (Read 538 times)

Offline mart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
New LT15 on the way
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
A few months back my wife and I had thought we would move out of state and began searching for homes. We also purged a lot of stuff, including my old LT 30. I sold it as we prepared to move. Long story short, we ended up not moving for a number of reasons and are very glad we did not move. But that left me without a sawmill.

So last week I got a hold of Parker and ordered an LT15 with an extra bed, 25 hp motor and the power feed. It is on the barge headed north. I work a two week on/two week off schedule in the oilfields and my next R&R will be out of state to visit Mom for Thanksgiving then back to work for two weeks. So it will be mid December before I get my mill home but what a Christmas present.

I opted for the LT15 because I don't want to do any mobile milling and I am not going to drive myself hard to be making money with the mill. I just want to be able to turn out lumber I want for building and woodworking projects, take on a few small milling jobs, mostly for friends and neighbors and plan for using it more actively in five years when I retire and maybe build an inventory of lumber to sell occasionally.

Parker and his daughter Kate, are great to deal with and made the transaction easy. They have always been helpful anytime I've called or emailed. Great folks.

So I'm still in Alaska and looking forward to my first logs on the new mill.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp
Branson 3725
Stihl 051
Husvarna 450

Offline jeepcj779

• "Watch this" - Famous last words
    • Share Post
Re: New LT15 on the way
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 02:44:55 AM »
Congratulations on your new mill. I envy you being able to use your mill in December. I have to wait until next summer before I see mine for the first time. Having had a mill before, at least you know what you are getting in to. This will be my first mill, so I have no idea. Enjoy.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 06:27:51 AM »
Good for you.
I might and I say might of made $500 with my mill. I did not buy it to make money. I just wanted a mill for my own use. I really do not have the time to saw for others. I like having time for my own projects. Not just milling ones either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:43:10 AM »
Congratulations on the new mill, and your decision to stay, Mart!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline mart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »
Thanks guys. I was surprised what an overwhelming sense of peace we had when we decided to stay. Up until we pulled the plug on the move, it seemed like there were stumbling blocks all along the way and we were filled with angst. 

Chuck, I've probably mentioned it before but I grew up not far from you, in DeKalb Junction. We hauled our milk to the old Russell Cheese factory. Used to fish that stretch of the Grasse River back toward Hermon a little ways out of Russell.

LT15 w/19 hp
Branson 3725
Stihl 051
Husvarna 450

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 03:32:04 PM »
Interesting, Mart!

If you had mentioned it before, I have since forgotten that you used to live up here!

I grew up on the farm on the left, just a mile out of Russell.

Spent many hours fishing on the Grasse River, just across the road from our house!

DeKalb Jct. is about a 15 minute ride from my house!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
Sorry, double post!
~Chuck~

Offline mart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 03:57:53 PM »
Well to update on the LT15 and my reentry into sawmilling, it was a busy two weeks while I was home from the slope. I decided a tractor was a need and bought a 2018 Branson 3725. I'm not getting any younger and have had my fill of get by equipment. I had been looking at one of their smaller series and thought they were a little lighter than I wanted. This one came in on trade and I grabbed it. It had 88 hours on it. the original owner bought it last year for Christmas and his wife loved running it but wanted a cab. So he traded for the same model with a cab. It has the skid steer bucket attachment and I have a set of pallet forks coming. they should be there when I get home.

I also decided I am getting to a point where I don't want to work so hard at procuring logs. So I ordered a load of spruce saw logs and a load of cottonwood saw logs. I use the cottonwood for beams, roof boards and paneling where it isn't exposed to the weather. And stickers. I cut all my stickers from cottonwood.

I picked up the mill last Monday and haven't had time to put it together yet. That will be the priority when I get home from the slope. So it sits, still wrapped on the trailer ready for my return home.

LT15 w/19 hp
Branson 3725
Stihl 051
Husvarna 450

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 04:19:00 PM »
Congratulations on the new mill and the score on the tractor!  Looking forward to seeing the mill setup and running!  A loader and forks is necessary equipment if you are going to have a bit of land and do stuff.  Especially if that stuff includes sawmilling.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
LT15 vs LT15 wide?

Started by gump on Sawmills and Milling

41 Replies
Last post January 29, 2019, 07:43:56 AM
by randy d
xx
Lt15

Started by Bosco on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 11:07:03 PM
by PAmizerman