The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Best wood stove for me?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Best wood stove for me?
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
During the so called "energy crunch ",late 70's mid 80's  with a resurgence of wood burning there must have been a couple hundred companies making stoves .Many had some type of end loading box stoves .They did fine depending on how large an area to be heated .You could probably find them in trading papers or Craigslist if you looked .Just look them over before you buy .

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
I found a small lopi nearly new.  put in a nice lake house and only used a few times.  wife remodeled and out goes the stove.  they were asking 250$ but turns out he knows my cousin and he took off another 50 bucks.  keep your eyes open.  it looked great, small and if you lived closer ... loads from the front.  sold it to my brother over a year ago and he still has not installed it.  If I were putting a stove in my house, I would only go used if it was fairly new and in near perfect condition.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »
If I were putting a stove in my house, I would only go used if it was fairly new and in near perfect condition.

X2
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
I don't know for sure,I work in a hardware store,we don't sell the real nice stoves,but we have the cheap ones at 40% off. If we do not get rid of these "older" stoves by the end of this year,we will be stuck with them. Seem to be new regs on the amount of smoke wood stoves can put out? All that Parts Per Million stuff?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:04 AM »
I suppose  there are some areas of the country where regulations of stoves exist pertaining to emissions however this part of Ohio is not one of them .
I'm not sure exactly what could go wrong with a heavy plate steel stove except the door seals go bad which are easy to replace .Even if it sat outside for 20 years all it would do is surface rust .Sand blast it and give it a good daubing of stove black you wouldn't be able to tell it from a new one .

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2019, 08:56:36 AM »
our 20 y/o Avalon, had been overfired a time or two.  My wife still cannot figure which way the air controls go.  the box is ok, but the interior air channel had cracks at the joints.  It made it so I could not shut it down as well, and the glass soiled, and it did not burn as well.  I packed stove cement in the cracks and it works like new again.  able to control the air flow again.  when ours is going, you can see heat out the chimney but no dark smoke.  very efficient.  in power outages we can keep our 4500 sq. foot tri-level comfortable with just the stove.  It is rated for 2200 Sq. feet.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
I think the OP has to look at his goals.  any stove will keep you from freezing to death.  it should be air tight so it can be controlled and not a risk for CO poisoning.  Efficiency should cover not only particulate output, but complete burning of fuel and getting heat for the home.  some stoves are more complex to use, with slide controls and lighting procedures, and so simple is a nice feature.  some may want it to look nice and others may want it to last 25 years.  Many of us want all of the above!  our stove has been in our great room for almost 20 years.  minor repairs and occasional inspection by a local dealer.  they carry and throw in replacements parts like the pins that hold the air tubes in the downward position.  we used double wall pipe inside due to the long flu with a 16 foot ceiling.

21 degrees out now, my seat watching the news, drinking coffee and surfing the FF.

note fox news and griffin the shih Tzu in front of the fire.  

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
 :D Well I don't have Fox news on , MSNBC though .Might fire the insert up in a day or two,snow they say and 11 degrees .This one doesn't belch smoke either once a nice bed of coals is established .It's a letter designation like model x or something ,double glass front doors ,blower .Most likely once the fire is lit it won't be a dog in front .Possibly two cats  from time to time .
I think the fire brick lined bottom and part way up the sides acts like an oven because it burns every thing to powder .It is surprising the small amount of ash it produces .

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »
here is a few pics of the through wall fan, that helps move heat to the lower level of our trilevel house.

this is in the hall of our down stairs, it has the fan motor with it and the fan speed control.  the grill rotates and can direct airflow.  it is nearly silent unless on the highest setting.

this is the intake side behind our wood stove.  got power from the nearest 110 V receptacle.  stove is on the midlevel, and heat goes up the open stairway passively to the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs.  the fan pulls heat to the basement/lowest level.

Online Pine Ridge

• Part-time logger, Full time loafer
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
Good looking setup you have there !
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2019, 12:05:12 PM »
thanks, fine tuning after many years.  just throwing out ideas!

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
I can move heat anywhere in the house without a fan.
I say 80 but it goes down to 70 too. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
I suppose there are some areas of the country where regulations of stoves exist pertaining to emissions however this part of Ohio is not one of them .

The regulations regarding Wood Stove Emissions are Federal regulations (though I suppose some states may have additional regulations). Last I checked, the Federal regulations only affected the production and sale of stoves. Existing stoves are grandfathered. (I'll admit, it's been a while since I checked.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
You can move air around with a ceiling fan .I have 5 of same .Another later this winter .

Offline woodfire

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
my house is 1100 sf, and last year I got one of Englands 13nc models, its way too small, if there is any moisture at all in firewood it won't burn unless the door is left open, my house is very very old and not insulated well and when it gets down to 25 degrees or less this stove just does not do the job.
I've got to get a bigger stove maybe the 30nc
it is very efficient when burning well seasoned completely dry wood but has never burned through the night, not even 4 hours no matter what kind of wood and how completely fully stuffed the firebox is.
its a step up from the busted, cracked and split stove that was in the house, that stove was probably from the 30's. and the house from honest Abes day or before and it aint no log cabin, maybe a converted chicken coop.
the englander burns 1/3 the wood that's the good part of it if there is any

Online Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
my house is 1100 sf, and last year I got one of Englands 13nc models, its way too small, if there is any moisture at all in firewood it won't burn unless the door is left open, my house is very very old and not insulated well and when it gets down to 25 degrees or less this stove just does not do the job.
it is very efficient when burning well seasoned completely dry wood but has never burned through the night, not even 4 hours no matter what kind of wood and how completely fully stuffed the firebox is.
its a step up from the busted, cracked and split stove that was in the house, that stove was probably from the 30's. and the house from honest Abes day or before and it aint no log cabin, maybe a converted chicken coop.
the englander burns 1/3 the wood that's the good part of it if there is any
One of my biggest regrets when building the Tenn house is buying a englander wood stove.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2019, 11:30:13 PM »
the Englander burns 1/3 the wood that's the good part of it if there is any
I'm not familiar with the Englander 13-NC woodstove, but I see the specs on it are that it will "produce up to 60,000 BTUs". If it actually will reliably put out that kind of heat, your problem is more likely related to your home's insulation.

I have a Hearthstone Phoenix stove that is also rated for 60,000 BTUs. It does a good job heating 2300 square feet of my home (at least until I get multiple days in a row of -10˚F temperatures - then it struggles a bit).

The FIRST place to start is in insulating and tightening up your home. Don't put money into a bigger or better stove until you have done that. It can completely change the size of stove you need for that space. You don't want to buy a new stove, then later do the insulating and sealing and find your stove drives you right out of the house when operating.

Once you have the house well-insulated and sealed against air infiltration, then re-assess your stove situation. You may find the Englander works well for you. However, if you do still need to replace it, there are a number of higher-quality brands, many of which have already been mentioned in this thread.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2019, 08:04:32 AM »
just like in High School, the prettiest girl may not be the one you want to spend the rest of your life with!  :P :) :D 8)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
1920 Sq Feet here, two story and walk in basement. I use a furnace with blower fan. I can use in power outage, either gravity or generator. I have a generator set up. Back up is an electric side unit, 20K-watts. Been burning wood now since Mid September. The brand I have here is Napoleon. It's a model 150. Lots of heat, and I did not over size. The 200 would likely put you out of the house. :D I keep it mid 70's during the day and let it out at night and let temps go down to 68 for sleeping. I can make it a lot hotter than 70's, but I don't care to live in misery. :D I keep humidity around 40 % and have an air exchanger. I've probably burnt less than 1/2 cord every 2 weeks. I check my pipes a few times a winter, never anything to it. I clean ash every few days. I also clean the glass door often with a putty knife. Grey powder, no black. It gets dirty mostly from me opening the ash door and speeding up the initial burn time. Then I close her up after 10 minutes and never open it again until the next start up. I never get creosote, just loose powder soot in the pale. The flu is so clean you might as well say there is nothing. And it is capped, but not one of them kind that comes down low. I don't like them kind. Draft here on the hill is no issue, plus my flu is above the peek of the roof to. And it isn't an outside flu, goes up through closets (boxed in) and attic.

I can't see how you can burn wood without making ash. That's a new one. :D I bet if it's not cleaned regular it's in that stove compressed down like dry cow patties. :D

77F and 38% RH right now. Feels good to me and no dried out airways. :)
Move'n on.

Offline Wedgebanger

• Stirs coffee with thumb.
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2019, 11:36:20 AM »
Just to update everyone. Ended up getting a Vermont castings encore that seems to be a good fit, thank you all for the input.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New wood stove

Started by Bill Gaiche on Firewood and Wood Heating

27 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 12:04:25 PM
by Bill Gaiche
xx
New wood stove

Started by Jerryok1971 on Firewood and Wood Heating

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 08:17:54 AM
by Peter Drouin