The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Best wood stove for me?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Best wood stove for me?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »
I have a plate steel glass front Lopi that dates back to the mid 80's  an insert with a blower .It does well .Built solid as a battle ship ,heavy plate fire brick lined .
Those barrel stoves are  a throw back to the making of the AlCan highway during WW2 .Made out of "tundra daisies " , discarded oil drums which were plentiful .I think you could heat a barn with the doors left opened with a double barrel .Lots of heat .I've made several using the "Stotz kits" which I haven't seen in a while .Those were air tight .

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
There are quite a few of the Double barrel stoves in use in this country but  they are made from 24 to 30 inch waste pipe from pipe line installs and the several I have seen are built to be pretty air tight. You get a 4 footer of those heated up it takes a week to cool off. 

A friend did one out of 36 inch pipe 5 feet long with a water jacket and a thermally controlled damper system and uses it to heat his house and shop. It burns for up to 3 plus days when full. I think the pipe wall is 1/2 inch.   
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
There is a local pallet works that have a variation of a double barrel  stove,several as a matter fact .Large circular things about 4 feet in diameter made of rolled plate steel and about 6 feet long .My bud Ron who owns a fab shop made them .
Ron is my go to guy if I need any aluminum welding as I don't have the to  means myself 
 .He's not real bright on electrical stuff but has my phone number . ;)
I might add that pallet works also has a rubber tired reclaim saw they use to cut down old pallets to make light weights from the salvaged oak lumber .Using abrasive blades it goes right through the old nails slick as anything .With all the scrap lumber their heating bill is basically cost free .

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
my brother used to build roads and work outside.  they made an outdoor version of a two barrel stove.  they welded two together top to bottom like a tall chimney.  they cut the bottom out of the top can,  welded some exhaust tube through the can at an angle about a foot up from the bottom to let in air.  they would add 15 gallons of waste oil in the bottom and throw a lit rag into the mess.  when it got going it was like a rocket stove with air swirling around the bottom, flames out the top. and red hot metal melting snow in all directions for 50 feet.  do not try this at home. :o :) 8)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 06:59:21 AM »
I once made a stove for a buddy who was a masonry contractor to heat sand in winter for mortar .Two barrels welded end for end .
He burned old  ties which were cut in pieces when they were replaced .Surprisingly once they got going they didn't smoke that bad .
Those old sleepers which were oak would coal up real nice and hold fire over night .
Over the week end the fire would go out when it wasn't tended .He just filled the stove and dumped a gallon of kerosene down the flue and toss in a burning rag .It didn't take long before it was burning real toasty .

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »
The double barrel stoves I've seen locally are stacked horizontally on top of each other with a piece of 6 to 12 inch pipe (depending on barrel/fire box size) welded vertically between them at the end opposite the loading door, the chimney in the top barrel above the door with the water jacket in the top chamber when they have a water Jacket. They work very well.   
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 12:04:20 PM »
The relatively thin sheet steel of a common oil drum radiates heat well plus there is a lot of surface area in a drum .I've heard of but never have myself lined the bottom with fire brick .I suppose after many years of usage they could burn out but I've never seen it myself .
If you think about it a double with the potential of 250,000 BTU /hr is a lot of heat .As a gauge on that  my slightly over 2100 sg ft house has a heat lose of slightly over 30,000 btu per hour .I'd have to leave the doors open and sit around in my underwear .Geeze would that be a sight to make eyes sore . :o  

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
The relatively thin sheet steel of a common oil drum radiates heat well plus there is a lot of surface area in a drum .I've heard of but never have myself lined the bottom with fire brick .I suppose after many years of usage they could burn out but I've never seen it myself .
If you think about it a double with the potential of 250,000 BTU /hr is a lot of heat .As a gauge on that  my slightly over 2100 sg ft house has a heat lose of slightly over 30,000 btu per hour .I'd have to leave the doors open and sit around in my underwear .Geeze would that be a sight to make eyes sore . :o  
I was kind of wondering how we got off on this tangent. The OP was asking about heating 1500 sq ft. I can't imagine using a double drum stove for that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 05:20:05 PM »
Use smaller drums perhaps  ;D

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
open a window. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
whole house fan works when we get it a little to warm.   8) 8) 8) :o :o :o :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 07:21:49 PM »
Quite frankly I have been known to open a door on occasion .Some times they can get away from you .I don't even light the fire until it gets below 30 .

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 08:56:58 PM »
we get excited for the first fire in the fall.  it feels good in the living room but all the bedrooms are upstairs, and then it is too warm to sleep.  heat set at 55 in the shop, so I get a fire in the am to take the chill off.  I would say we spanned the gamut on barrel stoves, and would recommend a well controlled stove for the OP.   :)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 05:50:47 AM »
Alright already barrel is out .Vermont castings makes a nice side loader about the right sized for the application  .Weather it's worth 1200 bucks might be another subject of conversation .Just "Goggle " it .

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2019, 06:15:13 AM »
Whats the model name, they have several? They make good stoves.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 01:34:11 PM »
Aspen C3

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »
80 at my house all winter.  ;D ;)

I am never coming to visit you. Unless I get to sit outside and look in a window.  :)
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2019, 07:47:20 AM »
If you have low humidity 80 probably wouldn't feel that hot .

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
as a side note.  we have a trilevel house. the stove in on the mid main level.  the beds are up the stairs and easy to heat with the stove.  in fact in the eve. we keep the doors closed so it does not get too warm.  we do not use the down stairs as much, and it will stay 60 degrees if running the stove.  we have a natural gas boiler with pex in the floor radiant heat.  the up stairs has a water to air exchanger with forced air heat.  we try to use the stove in the winter with the coiler as a back up.  I installed a fan behind the stove in the med level that goes through the wall and come out in the hallway in the lower  level so in  a power outage we can heat out 4500 sq. foot home with our stove.  ice storms are the usual reason we would have power out for a week.  "be prepared" @Old Greenhorn  .  we can run our boiler with very little elect. current.  we have to power the pump and logic board.  we can use an inverter or generator.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
Aspen C3
That's a nice design. In the 80's I heated my shop with an Atlanta casting stove of similar shape and size except it was made from 5/16 plate. I'd like to get that stove going again.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New wood stove

Started by Bill Gaiche on Firewood and Wood Heating

27 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 12:04:25 PM
by Bill Gaiche
xx
Help with a wood stove

Started by peter nap on Firewood and Wood Heating

20 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 08:40:51 AM
by peter nap