iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is clear-cutting now the standard?

Started by livemusic, November 16, 2019, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I like to see 15 years turn around but lately its been 8 year turn around, It depends on the bush but lots of times were less than 30% and if done correct the trees grow very fast and grow grade in them, it bush is opened up to much you get very little in any good grade timber growing

ehp

another thing, we donot want to see a nice clean bush with no small trees or bush growing in it , Some of the best bush I have cut you could not see 50 feet with the leaf on the trees , Timber grew very fast and nice and straight and clean

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on November 20, 2019, 05:48:23 PM
another thing, we donot want to see a nice clean bush with no small trees or bush growing in it , Some of the best bush I have cut you could not see 50 feet with the leaf on the trees , Timber grew very fast and nice and straight and clean
I hear you!  Some of our stuff is like a park, I cringe just thinking about cutting.  Selective harvest marks are for 24k bdft/acre so you can guess the size.  The issue is the trees are dying (old oaks) and need to be harvested but still needs to look like a park.  Oh well, we'll put some sun on the ground and get some regeneration.  In another property I have some higher hopes, the forest had a white oak /chestnut oak  seed crop a few years ago and the seedlings are super dense in locations, we'll do mimi clearings around them and expect 1000 WO and CO per acre in regeneration.  Going to be excellent cover.  Coyotes and hunters are keeping deer under control.
I am coming to Canada in May unless the ponsses just don't work at all this winter.  I have to see this area of yours, sounds like a foresters heaven.
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Quote from: nativewolf on November 20, 2019, 10:17:08 PM
Quote from: ehp on November 20, 2019, 05:48:23 PM
I am coming to Canada in May unless the ponsses just don't work at all this winter.  I have to see this area of yours, sounds like a foresters heaven.
Ontario is a huge province and keep in mind that most of the land mass is not managed this way. It is managed like most of Quebec and the Maritimes. You can go through Ontario on Route 2 outside of Ottawa and Montreal and see the same things as you do right here. Large population areas manage different than in sparse population. And we have non like that here in New Brunswick accept in city limits on a micro level, but the university woodlot has been clear cut many times, some sold off to real estate to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Quote from: Ed_K on November 18, 2019, 11:46:26 AM
My son is on construction sites all the time an he tells me about these machines called air curtains that blow large volumes of air down into a pit to burn large pile of brush,trees and const. debris. Says there's lots of fire an not much smoke. Piles are gone in no time.
Us rednecks call it a leafblower.  You either hold one blower and one beer, or two blowers and a helper holds the beer, usually a child you intend to indoctrinate into the way of redneck for posterity sake.   Bonus points if you can incorporate a stationary leaf blower.  
When the volunteer fire dept comes it is customary to serve beer and venison jerky.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!