The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Am I a Fool?  (Read 1163 times)

Online GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Am I a Fool?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »
Well, none the less.... ;D
 I graduated form a technical high school, same deal. Many is the time I tried to look something up at work and it was in the book I had, so I had to come home and look it up in my old edition. At work, I am starting to feel like a dinosaur, these kids think they know it all because it's on the internet and you can't get skill from the internet, last time I checked.
The last time I checked the internet, I did not find any experience or common sense.
Growing up on a dairy farm you frequently learn tricks and also that mother nature is a wonderful teacher and does not allow dropouts.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 07:23:41 PM »
Any lumber yard sells spikes for full dimensional lumber. It's those nails guns that can guess problems. A 3 inch spike is not much good with 2 inch lumber. :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Cedar Buster

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »
Timberlinx appealed to me because Iím not a skilled woodworker and I donít live in an area where guys like that are easy to find. I expect them to be easier and faster to work with than cutting traditional joinery.
Nebraska... My project is based near Bonesteel, SD.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
I plan to cut the cedar and burr oak into dimensional lumber for framing and as much of the cabin as possible. The cabin will be a timberframe style with Timberlinx connectors (40 x 60).
Hopefully not flooding you with TMI, just stuff to think about or discard :D.

We've got 2 different schools of thought going on there in my mind, or a hybrid of construction types. Dimensional lumber is stick framing stuff, 2-4" thick and wouldn't need timberlinx, just the appropriate fasteners or connection hardware we were talking about above. BTW, the connections calc and the span calc at awc.org might be helpful.

Timberlinx are fine, they take a lot of assumption and guesswork out and do less damage by way of material removal to the timbers than traditional joinery, notice Ben at Firetower's endorsement. They will come into play at 6x6 and larger timbers. I would stick to using the ERC for posts and compression members. One rule of thumb that might be helpful is that a compression member only needs to be checked for crushing parallel to grain if the dimensions are kept at L/12 or less. For an 8' tall wall an 8x8x8' tall fills that bill. As a "stud", a post of less dimension, buckling also needs to be thought about since that is the usual way it fails rather than by crushing. In other words a shorter fatter column fails by crushing, a tall slender column (post or stud) fails by buckling. If you can keep the cedar posts in that short fat range it makes the design thinking easier and more conservative.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 09:23:08 PM »
. I plan to mill all of the trim and Wayneís cot
Are you hosting an exchange student?😆😆😆
🤔 Dennis! 🙈
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fool Bird

Started by Peter Drouin on The Outdoor Board

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 06:52:49 PM
by Peter Drouin
xx
I'm a sharpening fool now..

Started by Joanie on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 09:38:46 AM
by terrifictimbersllc