The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Home heating totally with wood  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Home heating totally with wood
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
All wood heat here since I built 2001. Tarm indoor boiler with in floor radiant. It has a second door that was designed to put a oil burner on (open wood door then close door with burner) but I have never installed it.

My insurance company was not sure about no backup.

"What are you going to do if the power goes out?"    Plug in the inverter and still have heat.

"What are you going to do if you go away?   I have three family members with in a mile.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
Regarding anti-freeze, I ran my boiler without it for a few years and now I have used it 7+ years and the only downside I see is cost. My P&M holds about 100 gallons so for this area I bought a 55 gal drum plus the water for about a 50/50 mix, I have noticed absolutely no change in performance. If your boiler is a lot larger than that the cost could get crazy. I believe the one I use is Cryo-tec, probably spelled that wrong.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
We have heated with wood only using a Craft stove fireplace insert since 1991, just this year replaced the original blower fan, stove easily heats the main floor about 1500 sq. ft. When temp get into the 20's or lower I fire up the wood stove in the lower daylight basement to take the chill off. The house was built with ceiling heat (worthless and very expensive) that has not been used since 1991.We have enough wood on our 6.5 acres to keep supplied without buying any. we also live in a much milder climate are than many of you in the northern parts of the U.S. The last couple years I have hired a helper to help me fall, buck and move the wood from the hillsides to the wood storage area, in fact we just bucked up about a 1/2 cord today as we already had it on the ground. This is about 90% Doug fir and 10% oak.

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »
We have used wood only for 30 years in a indoor hot air furnace. It has an oil burner in the same fire box as the wood that was never reliable when brand new. With retirement heading my way at breakneck speed I have started thinking about a propane back up furnace so we can chase warmer weather once in a while when the snow starts getting deep.
Together we got this !

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2019, 01:03:13 PM »
I'd have no qualms with draining my Heatmor owb down and leaving it sit, if needed. There's really nothing to go wrong. I'd be most concerned that it got drained completely. I just run straight water in mine. However, for the scenario the OP is describing I'd take a hard look at antifreeze. However, heating antifreeze (not the same stuff as automotive) isn't cheap when you're looking at systems that take several hundred gallons.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 01:37:57 PM »
Heat entirely with wood at the current house. Bought another farm with a house that we are remodeling currently and just installed a high efficiency boiler and for what its costing to heat that place I have zero plans to install the OWB over there. 

The more we expand the farm the less time and energy i have to cut wood, and all the wood would need to be hauled 10 miles to the new house. For what it costs to fell, skid, cut, split, haul, and stack, I can write a check for the propane and stay just as warm without killing myself to find time to make firewood.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »
I could if I had to which I have done during  several storm conditions .However this time of the year with the weather ,1st of December I've yet to light the fire .If it's not in the 20's that thing will  run you out or cause you to sit around in your undies .Trust me two 70 some years olds in the buff is not a pretty sight . :D 

Offline bodagocreek2

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2019, 06:47:55 AM »
All wood since 1981.

Offline jmur1

• Full Member x2
  • Wood is King
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 06:31:17 PM »
Fireplace Insert (wood) with oil furnace backup in house.  1500 square feet -heats perfect warm in main area and cool in bedrooms.  Fill about 4 to 5 times a day
Small stove (wood) with propane backup in shop.  900 square feet -toasty if you want it.  Fill 2 to 3 times a day.
Unless we go away, the backups are not running.  Identical units as below.  Although I should mention our insert is ducted by a basement fan to reduce upstairs noise.

Last year I built a geo-well for cooling and ran a heat exchanger in the furnace duct.  I am considering the installation of an OWB (or building one).  This would use the pre-installed heat exchanger.  Need to close out some other projects before I start this one!  
jmur1
Easy does it

Offline Logging logginglogging

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »
How many can say they heat their home totally with wood?  I have since 2006 but having retired recently my wife and I plan to spend the coldest part of the winter elsewhere.  I have at least three neighbors about my same age that did burn wood doing the same now.  I guess change happens, always.
My father has always only done wood, and with our new house we built my wife and I have only heated with wood. LOL Stupid insurance said we had to have a back up source, I bought two cheap electric heaters that would never even heat one room and said there ya go...lol Never even hooked em up.
We heat solely with wood!!

Offline Traci

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »
When we started burning wood with an old woodchuck that was given to us we had backup propane. Got a bill from propane company stating it was a rental fee of $100 in that we didn't use enough propane. So, I told them to come and get the tank and we went 100% wood for 10 years or more.  Once kids were grown and woodchuck needed replaced (about 5 years ago) we went 100% electric and now debating on an outdoor burner. I very much miss the constant heat and the smell. I just don't think we can recoup the $$ as we want to leave the cold within 5 years and head somewhere warm. A 65 degree house is cold as we are trying to keep electric bill low. Decisions. Decisions.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault

Offline Rebarb

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 05:06:54 PM »
I'm retired and every home I've owned was heated with wood, current home is mainly hydronic but with additional heat exchanger with CB 5036.

Having the same issue as some others.
The wife and I like to travel to warmer climates in winter but I worry to much about the boiler.

Letting the heatpump cycle through the heat exchanger does prevent freeze up.
I tried letting a family member tend the boiler while we were away....FIASCO.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »
I've taken a beating in the past from propane jobbers .I'm thinking about a standby generator and  propane furnace as a back up to my geo-thermal .Lady fair and myself might take a notion to go a little south during the colder months of winter .If we do I'll own the tank .Nobody will ever hold my feet to the fire ever again .
There was a time I lived pay check to pay check .Those days are in the past .I call the shots now . 8)

Online chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 11:39:59 PM »
There was a time I lived pay check to pay check .Those days are in the past .I call the shots now . 8)
smiley_thumbsup  I'm with ya brother  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New York state- tax on home heating wood or not???

Started by jbos333 on Firewood and Wood Heating

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 08:02:17 PM
by jbos333
xx
Heating your home

Started by Dugsaws on General Board

93 Replies
Last post February 06, 2004, 02:25:22 PM
by D._Frederick
xx
Using home heating oil in diesel engines, off road

Started by Holmes on Forestry and Logging

18 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 07:12:19 AM
by thecfarm
xx
Solar kiln for drying lumber and heating the home.

Started by Peterrum on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 09:44:19 AM
by solidwoods