The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Electronic ear protection recommendations?  (Read 355 times)

Offline Jcotrel1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Electronic ear protection recommendations?
« on: December 07, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an electronic ear muff such as Walker's Game Ear for use with chainsaws and other equipment. Most of the reviews refer to use with shooting. I'm not sure how good they are with machinery. 

Thanks!
Jim

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Electronic ear protection recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »
   What is wrong with regular shooters ear muffs? That is what I use. I have one pair in the ATV for use with my chainsaw and another hanging on my mill and another hanging on my lawnmower. I should keep a pair on my outboard motor in my boat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:52:07 AM »
Hard to beat the simplicity of "analog" muffs. They Just Work® without relying on electromechanicals that can break or run out of power.

Offline Jcotrel1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »
  What is wrong with regular shooters ear muffs? That is what I use. I have one pair in the ATV for use with my chainsaw and another hanging on my mill and another hanging on my lawnmower. I should keep a pair on my outboard motor in my boat.
I'm looking to get them as a Christmas present. I like the idea of being able to have a conversation without taking them off and protect your ears at the same time. 

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
years ago I picked up a pair of Sonic ear plugs, cut the big booms but still could hear conversation. 

Robot Check
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
Much depends upon the size/shape of the ear canal.  For example, my right ear canal is much larger than my left, so my earplugs are modified a bit so that each earplug seals properly.  Yes, I have tried dozens of different designs, makes, and models and it can be difficult knowing and being certain that the earplug is actually providing the necessary noise prevention.  Be aware that ear protection can also gradually loosen or loose it's seal and you may not be aware of it so you may be sawing without any or very little protection. 

My normal sawing weather is much too hot to even consider muffs so I must rely on earplugs.

I realize that I did not directly address your question regarding "electronic" protection, but even electronic protection must fit properly to provide protection.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »
I'm looking to get them as a Christmas present. I like the idea of being able to have a conversation without taking them off and protect your ears at the same time.
   Yes but when I put my ear muffs on it is a visible sign I am am working and not talking. I don't want to be running a mill or chainsaw and try to hold a conversation at the same time. I don't think that is safe. I will do one or the other and if talking I shut off the machine and remove my ear muff.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
The real advantage is shooting and still being able to hear voice.  for instruction or safety.   they work great.  I have a set from 3M.  it can amplify voice and nearly completely muffle a shot before you hear it.  (goes without saying I guess, but too late).  in the shop the digital subtraction is on all the time so you do not hear voice, so they become more like a regular pair of hearing protection.  I keep mine in a case, has to be powered up ect.  so for in the shop, 3 pair of regular ones hang on a hook by the planer.  I use them with the planer and occasionally lift a muff, so I can hear the machine.  My first clue when my planer knives are getting dull, is it gets louder.  I get hearing protection at Fastenal, and I bought the electronic ones via Amazon.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
I also have the foam ones and they are better than nothing.  my ears are important for my work, and lots of the old guys I worked with as a young man, can barely understand me now in their 70s.  (hearing loss).

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
 Yrs ago we had a thread here of a company named Bilsom. If you contacted them they would send a compliment of their product. We did a get a box with ear protection of all sorts. The ear muffs where exceptional an it didn't take long for Rita to adopt them. I can't remember how long ago we got the kit but she is still using them. I used the ear plugs inside my hardhat muffs when running the detroit made quite the difference. The only complaint and is not of the company but in summer wearing plugs my ears fill with sweat and it's not long before I get an infection.
Ed K

Offline Ford_man

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »
I tried a set about 20 years ago they done a good job but the battery's reduced the area inside the muff to the point it made my earlobes hurt I was working in a stamping department. They used 2 aaa battery's. they may be using watch battery now. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Electronic ear protection recommendations?

Started by Roxie on General Board

0 Replies
Last post December 07, 2019, 12:34:45 PM
by Roxie
xx
Electronic Problems

Started by Autocar on General Board

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 10:23:31 PM
by AvT
question
Electronic Pet Fence