The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Building our Dream Home a.k.a. Delusions of Retirement  (Read 7155 times)

Offline farmfromkansas

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Building our Dream Home a.k.a. Delusions of Retirement
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2020, 01:41:31 PM »
Looks like a really fun project.  Would also like to do that, if my wife would move, but with my back don't think I am up to it.  One thing I would like to tell you, I took down an old church a few years ago, and where they used tar paper over the ship lap boxing, the boxing still looked like new, where they used plain, the boxing looked like it had been soaked every rain.  Had lap siding.

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
  • I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute.
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2020, 04:02:21 PM »
Got the house sewer system connected to the septic system today.  Now to recheck the retaining wires and measurements on all the stubs and start backfilling.   

One thing I did on all the stubs was to wire them to rebar to maintain their location.  Final check for plumb will be during backfilling.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Offline farmfromkansas

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
Your plumbing job looks great.  Hope your layout fits after you put up the walls!  Every time I hired plumbers, they had to use a sledge hammer and break chunks out of the slab to move pipe so things fit.  On my daughters house, I did the ground run, and it all fit.  And I'm not a plumber.

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2020, 04:22:40 PM »
Your plumbing job looks great.  Hope your layout fits after you put up the walls!  Every time I hired plumbers, they had to use a sledge hammer and break chunks out of the slab to move pipe so things fit.  On my daughters house, I did the ground run, and it all fit.  And I'm not a plumber.
I'm not a plumber either but I can read plans and measure.  Initially I put in metal stakes at the center where each plumbing stub was supposed to go.  Then I took a coupling the size of the pipe for that stub, centered it on the stake and placed 2 - 3/8" x 24" pieces of rebar on either side of the coupling.  I assembled the plumbing stub and the feeder pipe and wired it to the 2 pieces of rebar.  Once I had everything connected, I checked the measurements of each plumbing stub again to ensure that it was still in the same spot.  After backfilling the trenches, I measured a 3rd time to ensure that the locations matched the plans.  It's not rocket science but it is diligence to ensure that everything fits.  This method also helps to catch errors in measuring and layout.
I am trying to finish up backfilling trenches and preparing the forms in between rains.  
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
My neighbor decided to buy a drone so I got some pictures from him.  

What's nice to see is my building site forms are square! :)

The picture shows some backfilling and leveling in progress.

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2020, 10:11:38 AM »
The neighbor with the drone is willing to take updates so I can see the progress over time.

This photo is with the backfilling done but the trench drain in the courtyard area is not yet completely in place.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2020, 10:36:49 AM »
I'm not a plumber either but I noticed that you did not mention testing, the plumber I did hire for a apartment building build put temporary covers on all the pipes and installed a stand pipe and filled the drain system with water to test for leaks. 

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »
I'm not a plumber either but I noticed that you did not mention testing, the plumber I did hire for a apartment building build put temporary covers on all the pipes and installed a stand pipe and filled the drain system with water to test for leaks.
I did test the water main because it would be a nightmare to try and repair it once buried.  The first picture shows a joint that was leaking when I tested it with leak detector.  I had to replace this joint.

I installed a gauge and pressurized the pipe.  During the first test, the pressure began dropping about 5 psi/hour.  So I got out the leak detector and checked each joint for leakage.  The above picture shows the leak.  Once fixed, and repressurized, the pressure has held steady.  (Actually it increases with the daily temperature increases and it decreases when the temperature cools.)  After backfilling, the pressure remains constant and the gauge will stay in place and pressurized until after the concrete is poured.

The septic system is a different story.  Since it is connected to the septic tank, I opted first to inspect all the joints the day after assemmbly and then to use my bore scope after backfilling to ensure that all pipes show no deformity or any joints show separation.

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
We finally finished everything for the foundation (monolithic slab) so we contacted our concrete contractor to come and review the site and schedule pouring the foundation.

We had to make a slight adjustment to the plan...the depth of the septic tank inlet was actually about 6" higher than I remembered (never rely on memory for accuracy) so we ended up having to adjust the final grade of the pad accordingly as the pitch on the sewer plumbing would have put the end of the sewer line in the concrete instead of below it.  It's something I should have checked before beginning the site excavation.  Fortunately, it was a fairly easy fix, we just dug up the septic tanks and drain field and set it 6" lower.   :D :D :D  (If you believe that I have some beach front property in Arizona that's for sale).  Actually, we just added another 2" x 6" to the concrete forms, backfilled the extra 6" with red dirt, leveled and compacted it.  

We set the trench drain for the courtyard as well and ran a 4" flex line to the south for drainage.

We have one small addition to make this afternoon - I am going to trench in a 4" PVC pipe to run the AC tubes through as this will be the easiest way to route them to the HVAC units.

It is so good to complete this phase of the construction.  I can't wait for the contractor to give us the pour date.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2020, 06:10:09 PM »
I really like the pipe idea for running future lines. You may want to run more in case you ever want to drag electric phone or anything else other locations, like to your new shop :)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2020, 06:21:45 PM »
Do you not need to lift all the drain lines 6" as well?
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2020, 08:27:47 PM »
Do you not need to lift all the drain lines 6" as well?
When setting the pitch of the sewer plumbing, we followed the standard rule of 3" drop per 12' run (1/4" per foot).  Following that rule, we measured the depth of the pipe entering the septic tank, and working backward up the main trench to the clean out on the far side of the forms, the difference was almost 30".  We realized that the plumbing would be laying in the concrete pad instead of under it at the farthest point so we had to change the elevation of the top of forms to maintain the correct pitch and keep the PVC under the concrete.  It meant adding an additional 2" x 6" to the forms and backfilling an additional 5" to 6" over the whole site.  The branches off of the main sewer line also followed the pitch rule but each was laid out according to the elevation of the joint where they connected to the main sewer line.  All pressure piping (water) and electrical conduit were left as is since they are not affected by the pitch rules.  All the pipe was laid out using a green laser level to ensure that we maintained the proper pitch and elevation.  
The last thing anyone wants is sewage problems.  At my house in central Texas, we had problems where one of our oak trees breached the sewer pipe in such a way that it blocked our sewer from draining easily.  In that particular subdivision, the houses are paired together on the sewer branch to the main so when the neighbor flushed the toilet, our shower and bathtubs filled up with their sewage.  Totally disgusting.  So I was adamant about maintaining the correct pitch and elevation throughout the site for all of the sewer plumbing.

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2020, 11:14:26 PM »
Today we added a 4" PVC pipe to the south side of the building site for the HVAC copper lines to be routed through and a 1" conduit stub for the power feed to the units.  This will make a much cleaner installation. The stubs will all terminate in the location of the exterior wall so when the framing is done they can be extended to the second floor for the HVAC units.

We will add a 3/4" iron pipe stub as well for the propane infeed (not in the same area, it will be on the east side of the house.)  

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »
We will add a 3/4" iron pipe stub as well for the propane infeed (not in the same area, it will be on the east side of the house.)
I would not.  Yellow "PE" Polyethylene gas pipe should be used.  LINK and LINK  I would install black rolled pipe, etc. that would be used as a conduit for the PE.  This would be very similar to how you see fiber optic cable installed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online DWyatt

• Share Post
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2020, 07:42:09 PM »
I would not.  Yellow "PE" Polyethylene gas pipe should be used.  LINK and LINK  I would install black rolled pipe, etc. that would be used as a conduit for the PE.  This would be very similar to how you see fiber optic cable installed.
This may vary with location. Where I love in Ohio, it is standard to run black iron pipe for the propane feed and the propane provider expects you to have threaded black iron pipe sticking out of the house for them to connect their regulator and copper feed line.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
Black iron here too. Wife had the propane guys hook up the pool heater for her.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Tom King

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2020, 10:02:33 PM »
Black iron here too, and not only stubbed out of the house, but with a pressure gauge on it that has been holding pressure over a weekend, that they can screw off, and hook their end up to.

Put in a manifold with enough hookups for all the cookers you'll ever want, with ball valves, and just plug the ends that won't be used for a while.

I use standard lengths, and when I get to an end where I need a specific length, I go buy that piece from Home Depot, and they'll thread it for no charge.

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: Yesterday at 10:11:11 PM »
I would not.  Yellow "PE" Polyethylene gas pipe should be used.  LINK and LINK  I would install black rolled pipe, etc. that would be used as a conduit for the PE.  This would be very similar to how you see fiber optic cable installed.
It might be a local thing here where the propane distributors want black iron pipe installed with it pressurized for a few days to test for leaks.  Then they will hook up a tank and regulator to it.
For me the whole pipe and stub length is only 10' so the expense of iron pipe is minimal compared to PE.

I got my HVAC stubs in as well. I used 4" PVC as a conduit to pull the copper tubing through.  When the tubing has been installed, I will plug the ends so critters can't get in.

I talked with the concrete contractor yesterday and got the price today.  It was within $500 of what I estimated.  We will have to use a pump truck.  We are looking at about 85 yards of concrete and roughly 10,000 linear feet of rebar.  We are probably 2 weeks out from pouring but that gives me time to do some finish leveling in a couple of spots that are low.

I am going to invite my neighbor down on the pouring date so he can do some videos with his drone.

Offline EOTE

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #158 on: Yesterday at 10:46:30 PM »
My neighbor did a test flyover video with his drone of the building site and sent me this video:  

It's interesting to see how the building site looks from the air.  I am going to have him do the same flyover at different stages of building.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on Timber Framing/Log construction

229 Replies
Last post May 20, 2020, 09:52:05 PM
by samandothers
xx
Timber Frame Home Dream

Started by Arborjack on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 10:24:40 PM
by Brad_bb