The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ???  (Read 33737 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ???
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »
They brought me 2 cherry logs to saw for them.
I didn't get pictures. 
They were very nice hardly any sap wood at all.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »
I am trying to knock out a couple of jobs before my shoulder surgery next Friday.

A couple of ERC Mantels.

A very good ERC log that became....

An 8X8 plus eight ¾" side lumber.

And then on to guess what?

Yup, Sycamore.  And then on to....

Yup, dreaded metal,and ....

Yup, more metal.  I trashed 3 blades today.  One nail, one screw anchor, and this.

No matter, it was a good day sawing.  I have one more job that I desperately need to saw for a several times repeat customer that is taking chemo.  Hopefully he will be able for us to saw next week.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline richhiway

• Rich
    • Share Post
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2020, 08:15:43 PM »
Good luck with your shoulder. Speedy recovery!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2020, 07:15:06 PM »
Well, it's what I'm half way through sawing - see old reply #106

It's a big job for a manual mill and being 75 yo. Stack is 6 x 3.5 x 20 and the 2nd one is underway.
Whew!

Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arches, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2020, 07:22:07 PM »
   Mostly piddled on my new shed build today but did throw 2 more locust poles on the mill and square all or part of 2 sides so I can put a level on it to get it plumb and as a nailing surface. I think I used .2 hours in the process.

13' locust pole. Trimmed a little off 2 sides 

Started about 16' but after I squared 2 sides I cut 4' off the top end where was too thin due to sweep for my use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »
That is very admirable KelLOGg.  Nice whack of stacks.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DbltreeBelgians

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2020, 10:13:46 PM »
I am trying to knock out a couple of jobs before my shoulder surgery next Friday.(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

A couple of ERC Mantels.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

A very good ERC log that became....

An 8X8 plus eight ¾" side lumber.

And then on to guess what?

Yup, Sycamore.  And then on to....

Yup, dreaded metal,and ....

Yup, more metal.  I trashed 3 blades today.  One nail, one screw anchor, and this.

No matter, it was a good day sawing.  I have one more job that I desperately need to saw for a several times repeat customer that is taking chemo.  Hopefully he will be able for us to saw next week.
Wishing you the best on your upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery sir.

Brent

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2020, 10:28:54 PM »
Thank You Brent and richhiway, and also to the others who have offered well wishes.  Da ole man is going to be OK.  

I'm just hoping to be able to get that last job sawed if the weather (rain) and the customer's physical condition allows.

EDIT:  Sadly the weather forecast shows rain through Thursday and not favorable for me to be able to saw that last job.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2020, 07:46:20 PM »
  Started to put some framing on my shed I am building. I had several pine 12' 2X12's I had sawed a couple years ago which will work for my top plate ( I think that is the piece supporting the rafters) but I needed a 12' 2X6 to tie the ends together and all I had in stock was 14' or maybe some 8' ones. I guess normal people would cut one of the 14' ones off but sawyers normally don't claim to be normal. :D I checked and had an ugly 12' ash log (Yellow hammer would not call it that as it had been cut wide at a crotch at the top and not trimmed well and dang sure would not roll). After several rolls and some quick gunbarreling it was ready to saw. Final yield was 6-2X6's and 2-2X4's 12' long. I went ahead and installed one on my shed and left the others there as they will become framing or rafters later this week, weather permitting.

This picture is deceiving - it is actually much uglier than it looks. :D

Actually turned out better than expected. A little wane showing on that 2X6 on front. If I were putting it in stock to sell I'd probably have edged it to a 2X4. If sawing a customers logs I'd had showed him and asked if he could use that or wanted it edged. Since for my use and I know it is fit for purpose there it sits. I ran my tally and see I need 750 bf to hit my 100K. Should be one day this week.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline richhiway

• Rich
    • Share Post
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2020, 10:57:38 PM »
That's what I like best about the mill. Amazing how much good lumber you can get from a ugly log. What's the new shed for?
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2020, 12:07:56 AM »
   I will store my benches in there and maybe a couple of prefabbed bus stop "kits" that can be assembled quickly if need be. I also hope to set up a better display and access to my fireplace mantels which are very heavy and difficult to show to a customer. Basically I am always short on covered storage space, I got a good deal on some used roofing a couple weeks back so the stars began to align. Of course by the time I get through building I will likely find I don't have enough roofing. I've been collecting locust poles as they became available and can always go cut another one or two as needed. I have not put a lot of time into the design as I can cut the materials as needed. My build is listed over in the General Board if you want to track it there.
Howard Green

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2020, 12:16:29 AM »
Actually turned out better than expected. A little wane showing on that 2X6 on front. If I were putting it in stock to sell I'd probably have edged it to a 2X4. If sawing a customers logs I'd had showed him and asked if he could use that or wanted it edged. Since for my use and I know it is fit for purpose there it sits.

Something I've used as a guide when custom sawing full size regarding wane was if a store bought 2x6, 2x4, etc could fit inside the wane it was good to go. Most liked it.

Should have worded it most agreed to it, if they didn't it got cut out or down a size.
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2020, 07:49:33 AM »
My general rule for wane on framing lumber is that the wane covers less than half of that face and there will always be three good corners.  (If the customer asks for no wane, then he gets no wane.)

I have purchased "store bought" framing lumber that would not meet that criteria. 

Offline alanh

• Share Post
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »
Another 60+ 1x8x14 cut and staged for planing, 98 down, 52 to go for this order

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »
   I needed some more framing for my shed project and some long stuff would be very helpful so I decided to max out my mill with a 21' cut. The longest I had cut to date was 20'6" for some headers for my first lumber shed/pole barn. I had one customer who wanted some 20' red oak 2X8's one time. I had one ash log about 28' or so. I bucked off 2 chunks of firewood off the butt then about 5' off the end to get my 21' log. I made sure the log ends were both cut square and when I loaded it to stay between the marks on the mill. I noticed I could remove the rubber bumper on the end for a couple more inches but left that for my ace in the hole. The log had some sweep and was only about 14" SED. I hoped to get a couple of 21' 2X12's but the best I could do was 1-21' 2X10. I did get one board that has 12' 2X12 on one end and 9' of 2X10 on the other I had more stress than I expected although that is pretty common with ash I have sawed. The cant rose up so bad the dog board was nearly an inch off the rails in the middle with thick ends. I did get a couple of 21' 2X6's. I found logs that long slow me down as I have to be so particular to stay within the marks with every flitch edged. It started drizzling rain so I did not get a chance to go ahead and use any of my new framing today. Maybe tomorrow afternoon will work out.

Full length of the mill. The arms raised it just fine. I had to be careful to raise the head when loading and turning.

A couple of 2X6's and an ugly 11' 2X4. John won't carry but a couple of these at a time. Did you know - 21' ash 2X6's are heavy!
Howard Green

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »
I milled some 2-3/4 x 10" x 17' green maple back in June and I can tell you those were heavy! I got them up out of the woods by myself, but I was glad the customer brought a helper to load them on his trailer. He was complaining about lifting and swinging then 6 feet onto the trailer, I just laughed. (He HAD to have them right away, but didn't get them on his truck for 3 months).
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »
OGH,

I think most of us have tales like that where somebody had to urgently have some special item and we leap through hoops to provide it then they show up weeks to months later or, worse than that, not at all. I really do try to live up to the Services part of my business name and am bad about doing such. I had a guy (a budding blacksmith) show up one time basically wanting a locust stump to mount his anvil on. I put him on the back of my ATV and rode up in my woods and showed him a 3' locust stump with some old barb wire fence in it where I had deliberately cut it high to avoid the wire. I cut it and he was thrilled with it. He was there to okay the item but if it had been a phone order he probably would not have liked it. I guess we bring it on ourselves by not charging a premium for "expedited services". If they really need it that bad they should be willing to pay more. I think they tend to think we are so desperate for the sale we will go out of our way to fill the order and don't appreciate the true spirit of what we did. A simple thank you for going out of your way to fill my special order would sure go a long way. Okay, no more venting (till the next time :D).
Howard Green

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #317 on: February 18, 2020, 06:36:49 PM »
Expedited orders ought to get a 33% added aggravation fee. A gentleman contacted me yesterday wanting 32 white oak 2x8x16 by Friday.  I quoted the price figuring an extra helper.  After back and forth for two hours, he said it was more than he expected.  HELLO?!? Custom cut, rush order of long heavy lumber!  I'll make more selling 1x6 fence boards than those 2x8 anyway.  What is it about people who think white oak should be cheaper than the big box store's pine sticks?
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #318 on: February 18, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »
Ted,

Is 33% enough? :D I guess what we should do is quote a normal delivery price and an expedited delivery price and let the customer decide like Amazon and others do with their shipping rates. If they really need it they can pay the expedited price but maybe next time they will place their order in a more timely manner - likely not. :D :D
Howard Green

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #319 on: February 18, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »
No 33% isn't enough!  The guy was surprised that I didn't have 2x8x16 white oak already cut.  To top it all off he was miffed when I explained I custom cut lumber orders and have almost no inventory.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

63 Replies
Last post October 22, 2019, 06:00:51 PM
by alan gage